SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering Buying An S70...

a 1999 volvo s70. black with tan leather interior. automatic with 61k miles. I was wondering if this was a smart move? I currently own a 92 ford f-150 flareside. the truck of my dreams when growing up. but it's getting old. when i bought it i wanted to fix it up and possibly re-store it but reality is finally kicking me in the face. i'm not rich. i don't have the money to do that. my inspection sticker is going to run out next month and there is too many things wrong to fix so i went car shopping. i test drove a 2002 maxima. sweet car. very fast but too expensive. on my way home from test driving the maxima i drove past a volvo for sale. i stopped and test drove it. the thing was in awesome condition. flawless interior. i took it to my buddy's house who is a certified volvo mechanic. this is one of the reasons i am considering this car also. he can work on it at discount. he tells me it is a good deal and i def wouldn't be getting ripped off. he found a couple leaks (power stearing / oil) but the dealer said he'll take care of it. one of the things i didn't enjoy was the speed. it's pretty slow but i really don't mind that. i'm getting older now and had all my fun speeding and almost killing myself. anyway... i got the dealer down to $9,500.00.
can you guys give me your thoughts on this vehicle? any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Modified by svedeka at 6:27 AM 3-20-2006

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
The '99 and '00 S70's have the ETM issue. Although covered by Volvo now to 200K miles or first 10 years of ownership (actually that's only 3 years left on this car you're looking at), I personally wouldn't want to hassle with that. How about a '98 T5? A guy has one on sale right now...very good deal and beautiful car! http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=55555

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Considering Buying An S70... (svedeka)

A bit too much for a non turbo S70 even with those miles
Don't listen to Mr. gloom and doom, 99s and 00s are fine.
If (no when) the ETM does go just go to a Volvo dealer for a free fix (or replacement)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I agree with everyone above, $9500 at a "talked down" price is way too much. I got my '98 T5 with 63k for $8250 and it was a one owner with all records! Spring for the T5 and don't pay that price, especially if you might end up being dissappointed with the lack of speed later on with a normally aspirated 70!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts