SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Last year I briefly owned a 2004 XC70 for about 5 months until it saved my life in a pretty intense crash. Now, I'm looking at buying a new car and I've been seriously considering a 2010/2011 XC90.

I'd like to know what the general consensus is on the 3.2l engine, the modsl year, what to avoid and what to look for.

For the record, with a 17 to 19k canadian dollar budget, i'm looking at xc90s with about 70 000 miles on them.

Thanks!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
I bought my 2009 3.2 new. Just about 130000kms later, I'm as satisfied as I was when I took delivery! It's a bulletproof engine and the transmission is solid. The available power is the textbook definition of adequate. Using the manual mode is the most effective way to get power immediately, as opposed to just mashing the gas and waiting for the kickdown. That'll make a huge difference in how powerful you perceive the 3.2 to be!

There are no problems inherent to the model years you're looking at, so the usual used car due diligence should be enough. The 2010/11 model have the facelift updates (more body-color details, an AUX port, swiveling xenons as an option – which I highly recommend) plus the giant Volvo ironmark on the grille and a standard 3rd row.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I bought my 08 3.2 with 60k miles on it. I have put 115k miles on it over the last three years. Very nice set up and rock solid. The only things I have had replaced on the engine are the brake booster and valve cover but both of those items had bulletins out for 07 and 08 models.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ours is approaching 70k miles. No issues to report yet. We've had it since 35k and haven't done much of anything. Rear brakes last week was the first service I can recall in quite a while.

3.2 gets a bit of a bad rap somehow, but it seems to be reliable and adequately powered. Even with the car loaded with our family of 5, bikes and box on the roof, fully loaded, the car barely notices. It's nothing exciting, but a very solid vehicle.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The 3.2 can have some issues with the READ (rear engine accessory drive, I think) which I understand is quite expensive. Yes, the HVAC compressor/etc are on the rear of the engine. However, I get the impression the READ issue happens due to neglect, i.e., owners using subpar oil and extended change intervals. You'll also reseal the brake booster pump every 100k or so, but that's an easy DIY - see my signature. I have found the 3.2 in our 2007 AWD (70k mi) model to be pretty good. It's not powerful, but it's not underpowered either. I did my homework and took ours to Volvo for the pre-purchase inspection to ensure we weren't missing anything huge. We bought it without service records, so I sent off a used oil analysis at the first oil change. It came back squeaky clean. Good luck!

·
Registered
440 Posts
We have had our facelifted 2014 for a year now and love it. Right around 16K miles, smooth and trouble free.
You don't see too many of the facelifted versions in the wild since sales were dropping by then.
Nice update that make the car still look contemporary. That says a lot for Volvo's timeless designs.

Happy hunting!

Mike

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'd love a 3.2 but they're like hens teeth over here. Get it bought :D

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Normal in the UK are D5's for the tax benefits (I believe).

·
Registered
784 Posts
True, D5s on the whole. There were petrol XC90s but they weren't big sellers. For example, if I look on Autotrader right now for second hand XC90s there are 853 cars but only 45 of those are petrol. The V8s are very rare.

Tax does play a part whether it's the duty on the fuel, how an individual is taxed on a company vehicle or how much the VED (road tax) the vehicle attracts. My own personal opinion is that a lot of lower mileage drivers think diesels are vastly more efficient than they actually are, buy an oil burner and never really look at the whole life costs compared to a petrol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What kind do you chaps tend to see over there (in the UK)?
Yeah, as Rich said most XC90s in the UK are D5s. I'm also in the UK and we're lucky enough to have a rare 3.2, I was looking for a V8 but there are only a handful on our roads so as a used buy they are extremely rare. We bought our 2007 on condition alone, it was a one owner car with full supplying Volvo dealer service history. Car tax in the UK (similar to registration) is extremely expensive for most large engined patrol vehicles as we pay based on vehicle emissions. We have to pay £505 per year (over $700 USD) to be able to use the car, this is on top of our insanely expensive fuel costs too.

Anyway back to the original thread one of the reasons we chose the XC90 was reliability. We've had our 07 for just over a year now and have not had any issues. I researched this forum and some other US sites when we're buying as there isn't much information on the reliability of petrol versions in the UK as they sold so few.

I'd say buy the nice 'cleanest' most looked after example you can find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts