SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys ive been looking into a xc90 for my brother in law, i was wonering whats the best choice between the 2.5t or v8 there both 2006 and both asr packages.

price:$11,888cdn
Year 2006
Make Volvo
Model XC90
Kilometres 174,000 km
Style/Trim
2.5T ASR NAVIGATION - 7 PASSINGER
Exterior Colour Black
Interior Colour Black

price:$12,995 cdn
Year 2006
Make Volvo
Model XC90
Kilometres 185,637 km
Style/Trim
V8 4.4L AWD7 PASSENGER DUAL TV-DVD NAVIGATION

thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
668 Posts
2.5 = less issues, but less HP and torque, but minimum savings on fuel.

·
Registered
953 Posts
where are you in Canada? If you are close enough, in the kms you are looking it, you will get more car if you buy in the US and bring it into Canada as they are all out of warranty anyway.
I presume you will do most of the work yourself or even if you dont, to an indy, it will not matter where you bought it.

With all the snow/salt, better off with a silver car

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But what about the tranny problems i hear about the v8's, something that has to do with a valve body in the tranny or something along those lines?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
In that case, it doesn't matter what car you are going to get, it's going to have some problem with something.

My "tranny" had issues, the stuttering, but if I had to do it all over again, even if volvo offered the 3.2, I would still get the V8 again.

·
Registered
668 Posts
V8 tranny issues seem to be less prevalent than the T6 tranny issues, but more prevalent than the 2.5 tranny issues. Someone claiming to be a volvo certified mechanic said that the 2.5 is the one to get. When I recommend a car to a fried, I always tell them to get the one with the least options (less stuff to break) and the more serviceable engine. There are a lot of Volvo 2.5 engines around, thus people will know how to fix them and the parts will be cheaper when the time comes. I personally went with a V8, but I knew that any work in the engine compartment would be a battle, and that the tranny would need to be talked sweetly to. However, I do all my own work and see car maintenance as a hobby that saves money (Yes I ignore the cost associated with my labor). But if friend were asking me I would say 2.5 because I want them to be happy with the reliability of their car, and the low cost of ownership.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts