SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I drive a 2017 XC60, but thinking of going to XC90, a T6 that's a couple of years old.

There're some of the annoyances with my current car and I want to see if anything similar is also the case with the XC90s:

1. Start-stop can't be turned off.
2. Trunk not unlocking when unlocking just the driver-side door.
3. Wiper blades have to be turned on every time, and the automated wiper blades don't work so well.
4. Passenger side seat doesn't fold down.
5. No cargo net hookup--pretty much every other car that I owned had all the needed hooks and loops.
6. Automated air temperature doesn't use outside air, only the A/C. So if it's 67 outside and 72 in the car, I want the temperature to be 68, it will use A/C instead of just letting in outside air.
7. Too little room in the back. It's an SUV, but doesn't feel any roomier than a sedan.

Any other annoyances/dislikes that you XC90 guys have? How is the cargo capacity with third-row seats folded down? Personally I'm no fan of third row seating, wish they just made more space in the second row and the trunk.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When we first got ours, I'm sure I had some annoyances, but nothing that I can still remember or absolutely hate. I love that thing. Remembering wiper service when washing wasnt a pain... just had to run back in the car and click it. The auto stop does suck, but I just click it off everytime I get in. Over the years its just become habit to do all of those things. So I cant tell you a definite dislike. We rarely have the 3rd row up unless the whole gang is inside, but you can fit a lot in there, especially with the middle seats down as well. Just like all new cars things take getting used to. It took me a while to figure out all the infotainment and screen. But it was all a fun learning process!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Hi all. I drive a 2017 XC60, but thinking of going to XC90, a T6 that's a couple of years old.

There're some of the annoyances with my current car and I want to see if anything similar is also the case with the XC90s:

3. Wiper blades have to be turned on every time, and the automated wiper blades don't work so well.
5. No cargo net hookup--pretty much every other car that I owned had all the needed hooks and loops.
6. Automated air temperature doesn't use outside air, only the A/C. So if it's 67 outside and 72 in the car, I want the temperature to be 68, it will use A/C instead of just letting in outside air.
7. Too little room in the back. It's an SUV, but doesn't feel any roomier than a sedan.

Any other annoyances/dislikes that you XC90 guys have? How is the cargo capacity with third-row seats folded down? Personally I'm no fan of third row seating, wish they just made more space in the second row and the trunk.
I've had three XC90's (2017, 2020, and 2021). Still have the 2017 and the 2021. They are more car for your money when compared to any other model. My wife and I have camped in them with the 2nd and 3rd rows down. Two camping air mattresses next to each other and it's very roomy.

Start/stop can be turned off permanently from 2019 and newer.

Unlocking the driver's door unlocks all of them. Is this a setting that can be changed for your XC60?

I don't use the auto rain sense wipers. I turn it on myself

The front passenger seat cannot be folded down. But the 2nd and 3rd rows can and it's virtually flush.

I'll have to check on the cargo net hooks. I don't believe there are any on mine. We haven't needed a cargo net.

The A/C does use an outside temperature gauge. I believe it's under the passenger mirror.

The room in the second row is sufficient and the seats recline and move forward and back. The third row is cramped, but if you don't use it, enjoy the extra space!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
CRAP! edit... There is one thing I dislike, actually hate. Theres no dipstick!!

You can check the oil level on the infotainment screen, but I'm just old school and would rather trust my eyes....
Yeah, this has been discussed at nauseum here. No dipstick on the SPA or CMA Volvo's.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts

Given your extensive list of gripes with the XC60 I think you should look at a new XC90 in person. I will give you two: Auto stop start can be shut off in XC90 2020 and there is plenty of storage room with the 3rd seat flat and lots more with the middle seats down. It's a bigger vehicle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't have an XC90 so I can't comment to all your concerns, but this one is a 'feature' that a lot of cars have. Running the compressor helps dry the interior air and prevent fogging of the windows in humid certain conditions. As mentioned, an exterior temp sensor is used and the compressor does cycle. Best of luck in your hunt for a newer 'vo!

·
Registered
‘19 t6 inscription silver/brown w/air, b&w, lux, polestar, 21’s, etc
177 Posts
As mentioned, ‘19 and up can permanently disable start/stop. It’s the main reason I bought a ‘19

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
As mentioned, ‘19 and up can permanently disable start/stop. It’s the main reason I bought a ‘19
Does Start/Stop work differently on the XC90 than on the S90?

On S/V90's I'm pretty sure we can turn that on or off by going into settings, as far back as 2017 (the first) year model.

The biggest complaint I hear about start stop over there is that it isn't working, that the car never shuts off (probably due to battery level being too low)

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Does Start/Stop work differently on the XC90 than on the S90?

On S/V90's I'm pretty sure we can turn that on or off by going into settings, as far back as 2017 (the first) year model.

The biggest complaint I hear about start stop over there is that it isn't working, that the car never shuts off (probably due to battery level being too low)
It stays off after car restarted, this is the difference for 2019+.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Zero complaints from our 21 T8…love it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The parts and labor charges for maintenance and repair of an XC90 will be about the same as other comparable modern SUVs. Where car owners get into trouble is deferring work until costly problems occur. Just keep up with scheduled msintenance and fix problems as soon as they become apparent.

Welcome to Swedespeed! Which model XC90 are you considering?

·
Registered
23 Posts
2018 t5 awd here. hate the road noice from my 21", have 19" for winter, big difference. no child lock on back doors can be controlled from front. rain sensors not so accurate. thats my complains.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
2016 Momentum +
Road noise (weak sound insulation), leather wearing quickly, brakes worn very quickly by the time I sold the car at 48kMiles.
Adding: rear door locks malfunctioning at temps below freezing.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Some has been answered already but here are my responses:
1. Start-stop can't be turned off. ('19 plus you can turn it off for good)
2. Trunk not unlocking when unlocking just the driver-side door. (That is a setting in both the new cars and your '17. You can turn it off so it opens all doors)
3. Wiper blades have to be turned on every time, and the automated wiper blades don't work so well. (you can have the auto wiper setting "saved" now. Frankly I think they work very well and never had issues with the older ones either. You can adjust the sensitivity with either system by rotating the intermittent knob higher or lower)
4. Passenger side seat doesn't fold down. (nope)
5. No cargo net hookup--pretty much every other car that I owned had all the needed hooks and loops. (nope, but it has tie down hooks so you can use straps)
6. Automated air temperature doesn't use outside air, only the A/C. So if it's 67 outside and 72 in the car, I want the temperature to be 68, it will use A/C instead of just letting in outside air. (you can turn off the AC, but who cares... just let the auto system do its job)
7. Too little room in the back. It's an SUV, but doesn't feel any roomier than a sedan. (The new SUVs are much better in the rear leg room than the older ones.. but to be fair the older ones were way better than the Volvo S60 sedans!!)

Reactions: sickk21

·
Registered
2017 XC90 T6 R-Design, with Polestar upgrade.
13 Posts
CRAP! edit... There is one thing I dislike, actually hate. Theres no dipstick!!

You can check the oil level on the infotainment screen, but I'm just old school and would rather trust my eyes....
How do you check your oil level on the infotainment screen?

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
How do you check your oil level on the infotainment screen?
On SPA/CMA swipe from right to left and select Car Status. Then on the left side select Status. The dip stick is there. It will save far more engines than having a real dip stick that few bother to check. The number of engines that fail because of a digital dipstick will be tiny in comparison to those having the real thing.

Reactions: likeXC90

·
Registered
2021 XC90 Inscription
99 Posts
Sounds like most of your complaints would be solved in an XC90. The 60 is a compact crossover and the 90 is a midsize 3 row.
I’d go for 2019+ to get the start/stop to stay off and the faster Sensus.
My ‘21 Inscription has a lumbar that won’t stay inflated, rides rough and has a ton of road noise. Other than that I love it.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I don't have an XC90 so I can't comment to all your concerns, but this one is a 'feature' that a lot of cars have. Running the compressor helps dry the interior air and prevent fogging of the windows in humid certain conditions. As mentioned, an exterior temp sensor is used and the compressor does cycle. Best of luck in your hunt for a newer 'vo!
Said another way, the AC dehumidifies the outside air as needed.

72°F with less than 50% humidity is more comfortable than 67°F with 90% humidity.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Who cares about anything else beside the fact it's the safest vehicle in the world? It's the safest of the entire Volvo lineup.

Maintenance and bills don't matter when you're dead. For a family vehicle, accept no substitute.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts