SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, I'd like to say that I have been on swedespeed as an observer for sometime(on and off). <p>I am at a point in my life where i'd like to buy a Volvo. I have the chance to get my hands on a 1998 S70 GLT. Now, last night, I got it inspected at work*(a volvo dealer), and we saw a few things. Amongs those things, here are a few that worried me abit:<p>-Oil of some sort under the turbo(not alot.. but visible enough)<br>-Oil underneath the motor(possibly the oil cooler lines)<br>-Was TOLD that the rear main seal was "sweaty" but by the quantity of oil that I saw.. it seems that it would require immediate attention<br>-Transmission gives in little kicks when it shifts(up or down).. check the tranny oil and it was still red.. but not blacken.<p><br>Based on this, would you go ahead with the purchase of the car? Set priorities or am I digging myself a grave?<p>Just so you know, I got a good price on the car, so already I have ABIT of lee-way.. but I dont want to cash out CDN$ 3000. <p>Any tips, suggestions are welcomed.. <p>-Deeds.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Considering an 1998 S70 GLT (MisterDeeds)

Sounds like you need a turbo return line AND a rear main ASAP<br>As for the trans, some do have a little "kick". Change to synthetic. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes not, but I had a car for a couple of years with a harder than normal shift and it never got worse.<br>As long as it doesn't shudder while shifting or really BANG hard, it'll be OK as long as the reat of the shift itself is normal except for the little harder shift

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for checking out my post JRL.<p>I am gonna get the old service manager(and now senior tech) to take a good look at it tomorow night. I drove it all week end and must say that I liked it. Abit heavy on gas, but that is my fault. I did 80 kilometers(took 10 liters of fuel, mostly city). Nothing beats my 1992 Jetta 1.8 8V on fuel economy.<p>If anyone else has some input or suggestions for me, feel free to post them.<p>-Deeds

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
***UPDATE*****<p>I just purchased the car. I will have to spend out a little more then planned on reperations(and to depart of my old Jetta), but in the end, I was re-assured to see that minor things need work. Biggest expenses will be: 1-Rack and Pinion(leaking abit) 2-Rear bushings($$$$/ part).<p>Hope to have more response for any further threads.<p>Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts