SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking for a while on these forums, and we want to now proceed with a XC60 purchase. The car is going to replace our CRV. Number one reason why we want a Volvo is safety, obviously we are also concerned with how the car performs long term.
We want to get a CPO vehicle, newest one possible, and are contemplating 3.2 vs T6. We test drove both and don't mind lesser performance if that comes with more reliable engine. However, I have also read on these forums that 3.2 suffers from oil consumption issues, which is worrisome.
T6s we are looking in our price range (25K, maybe a little more) are mostly 2011 CPO and (to my knowledge) that was the first year of T6s, which comes with its own set of issues.

We are OK spending more in maintenance as we know its a safer car and its something we are used to from European manufacturers. Hopefully buying a CPO with 2 years left on the 7yr/100K miles warranty will help a little in terms of how soon we have to start paying. However, I wanted to know if there are any big issues I need to be aware when buying CPO XC90. We plan to pay cash for the vehicle, and don't mind driving/flying to get the right car.
Should we completely avoid 3.2 due to oil burning issues? Is there any way to tell if the car burnt oil so far?
Should we completely avoid T6 if its 2011?
We plan to keep the car for next 5 yrs before it will be replaced. I have realistic expectations of XC60s reliability. In my price range, that means I am looking at out of warranty expenses for around 3 years. I am trying to figure out which one will generally cost less to maintain, out of these two trims.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had my pre-owned 2013 T6 for about 10 months. It has been completely trouble free, with the exception of getting the backup camera wiring fixed (under warranty of course). I too considered the 3.2, but after owning the T6, I am absolutely glad that is what was in the XC60 I wanted. I too plan to own mine for another five or so years. Good luck with your hunt and decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had my pre-owned 2013 T6 for about 10 months. It has been completely trouble free, with the exception of getting the backup camera wiring fixed (under warranty of course). I too considered the 3.2, but after owning the T6, I am absolutely glad that is what was in the XC60 I wanted. I too plan to own mine for another five or so years. Good luck with your hunt and decision.
I wish I could get something newer but CPO 2011s are showing up in our area in our price range.
I read a whole lot about oil burning issues they are known to have and seems to be more folks with 3.2 had that problem than T6. Hopefully getting a warranty for first two three years ought to cover some of the scare.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Keep in mind you can bargain the dealer down a few grand. You should be able to find a 2012-2013 CPO for ballpark $25K; maybe have to travel a bit though.

Btw, T6 all the way!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2011 XC60 T6

Original owner. 56,000 miles. I have one of the "faulty" T6 engines that consumed large oil amounts. The issue started at 46,000 miles. Volvo replaced the dipstick. Did not work. It happened again around 50,000 miles and volvo rebuilt the cam cover. Last straw was one week ago. It happened a THIRD time. I dropped it off at volvo and within 2 hours I got a call that a new engine was ordered and would be installed. We picked it up and over the past weekend the car was leaking oil on the driveway. Back to volvo it went on Monday. Diagnosis is an alleged unrelated issue of a loose turbo return line. Needless to say I have been shopping for a new car. HOWEVER, I am hesitant to jump because all of these repairs have been under warranty and repaired for "Free". I owe no money on the car and it has not cost me anything to perform these repairs. And I really do like this car!!!!

But there is NO WAY I would recommend a 2011 Volvo XC60 unless the engine is under an extended warranty to 100,000 miles or so. I researched this issue like mad last week and this is a COMMON problem. I was fortunate enough to have a local dealer that was an absolute pleasure to deal with...others are not so lucky.

Now, that being said, its a great car and we have had no other problems...but there are a lot of other great cars that do not have a documented engine failure issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep in mind you can bargain the dealer down a few grand. You should be able to find a 2012-2013 CPO for ballpark $25K; maybe have to travel a bit though.

Btw, T6 all the way!
I thought the CPO prices are set in stone, and not up for much negotiation except a few hundred dollars. For new cars, they pretty much compare apples to apples. But used cars have lots of variables, and dealers knowing this, stick to their price, since they have so many things they could point to as different in a comparable car.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I thought the CPO prices are set in stone, and not up for much negotiation except a few hundred dollars. For new cars, they pretty much compare apples to apples. But used cars have lots of variables, and dealers knowing this, stick to their price, since they have so many things they could point to as different in a comparable car.
Nothing is set in stone, especially used car prices. CPO is little more than an extended warranty, or about $2K in value. What I'd do, and have done: "I have $22K (actually, your bottom line at $25K), do you want to sell me the car or not? I'm sure you can make it happen or someone else will." I personally have very little patience for car salesman run-around. "Don't BS a BS'r" right?

Oh, and I'm sure you know this, but always have other options that you or SO likes better (other SUV's like the Q5, X3, Lexus not necessarily Volvo); bring a stack of Autotrader hardcopies, and make sure you're never crazy about the car. Find something about it that's not your preference, like the color, gas mileage, steering feel, reliability, etc. Make sure your SO keeps the enthusiasm on the down-low also. If the sales folk resist, tell them that you have other stops planned, and to give you a call if they change their position. Usually they won't let you out of the dealership without a deal. I know, good customer operating procedure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Original owner. 56,000 miles. I have one of the "faulty" T6 engines that consumed large oil amounts. The issue started at 46,000 miles. Volvo replaced the dipstick. Did not work. It happened again around 50,000 miles and volvo rebuilt the cam cover. Last straw was one week ago. It happened a THIRD time. I dropped it off at volvo and within 2 hours I got a call that a new engine was ordered and would be installed. We picked it up and over the past weekend the car was leaking oil on the driveway. Back to volvo it went on Monday. Diagnosis is an alleged unrelated issue of a loose turbo return line. Needless to say I have been shopping for a new car. HOWEVER, I am hesitant to jump because all of these repairs have been under warranty and repaired for "Free". I owe no money on the car and it has not cost me anything to perform these repairs. And I really do like this car!!!!

But there is NO WAY I would recommend a 2011 Volvo XC60 unless the engine is under an extended warranty to 100,000 miles or so. I researched this issue like mad last week and this is a COMMON problem. I was fortunate enough to have a local dealer that was an absolute pleasure to deal with...others are not so lucky.

Now, that being said, its a great car and we have had no other problems...but there are a lot of other great cars that do not have a documented engine failure issue.
Thanks. First hand accounts are always helpful. Yes, I was concerned with 2011 as well since that was the first model year. I agree on not buying it out of warranty -- that is something we are particularly concerned with and want to avoid doing. I just hope that 2011+ doesn't put the vehicle out of budget for us. I have a strict limit that I plan to stick to.

·
Registered
654 Posts

Make sure you get proof it's a new engine. I was told stocks were low when ours was replaced last June. Also, get them to bump you up to the CPO warranty. Technically, they could claim warranty for the new engine is only until the end of the original vehicle warranty period, because the component warranty (2 years, but I seem to remember something about lifetime coming online?) is only for parts you pay for.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
If even a tiny percentage of T6s had the oil leak problem, Volvo would be struggling to stay in business, because there are so many of them on all Volvo models. And if only 2 percent of T6s had the oil leak problem, then you could have some prolonged threads on the topic. If I were you , I wouldn't worry about the T6. Personally, being a Volvo "purist", I own the Volvo-made T5 (5-cyl) engine in my XC60, but you can only get that engine on the XC60 in MY 2015.5 and 2016. Look in vain for a thread that goes more than few posts on a problem for a Volvo-made 5-cyl. The Volvo-made 5-cyl engines have been more durable and reliable than the Ford-made 3.2 and T6, or the Yamaha-made V8.

But I still think the 3.2, the T6, and V8 are good engines. You'll probably get a very reliable and fun engine if you buy a T6.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am very happy with my pre-owned '13 T6, I've had it a little over 2 years now. I previously had a '10 T6 with the old T6 engine, a little lower HP and torque, the problem with the '10 was that it died on me a few times, so I offed it. I took a chance with the '13 T6, and this engine is a workhorse beast! The only difference is that I think the '10 had a little smoother trans than '13, it's kinda quirky from 1st to 2nd or vice versa. The dealer had told me that they had changed the gear sequence a little bit on the '13's, and there is no issue, software or otherwise, and that it is solid. I am not exactly happy with the slight facelift on the '14's, I know I'm being picky here. Also not happy with Volvo phasing out the T6 and T5's, in favor of the 4 bangers, these SUV's are not exactly lightweights, engines not withstanding! Overall, I love my last year model of the 1st generation, no tricks, just fast! I did not exactly care the newly designed XC90, but it's growing on me. When it's time to retire the awesome '13 T6, I might consider the V60 CC T5 AWD, if it's still available, I consider it an XC60 Junior, LOL! Overall, I'm not caring for the super/turbo/hybrid combo, start-stop setup, and whatever other gimmicks they come up with. Volvo's beauty has always been it's simplicity, and Scandinavian styling.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We bought our XC60 T6 back in 2011. It now still only have 20k miles. We don't drive a lot but still haven't had any oil leak issues. I never consider 3.2 during my search.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had run into a few dealers that took that whole CPO pricing to be non negotiable, but I ran into more who were quite flexible and willing to deal, we wound up working with a couple of local dealerships close to home. One was willing to deal with us a fair amount more than the other one similar cars. We also drove a few brand new t5 xc60's and while they were very nice the wife and I preferred the power delivery in the CPO'ed t6 we settled on. I am not a fan of the 10k oil service pattern and have discussed it at length with our service advisor, haven't had any oil leaks maybe a little oil burned off, but that seems to be common on cars with plastic intake manifolds or other plastic bits like valve covers. We made the transition from a 2010 Ford Escape xlt to a 2013 t6 xc60 with platinum package, so it was quite a nice jump. The only trouble we have had in the 10-12k miles we've put on the car was centered around the sunroof not wanting to close, which was a faulty sunroof motor which was cover under warranty. But its been the best trip vehicle either of us has ever owned.

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts

Btw, T6 all the way!
I am sorry, but this is inaccurate info. There is a little wiggle room but nothing in the multiple thousands of dollars. That would be usury.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is far more right than wrong.

·
Registered
2012 XC60 3.2
23 Posts
My car is 2012 XC60 3.2 with 126k miles. It has no oil consumption issue. I bought it in 2019 when it was 7 years old. During test drive, I just listened to the engine running to make sure there's no weird noise and drove it for 10 minutes and bought it. It was cheap. It cost just $8k USD.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts