SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 S60 P* /// Past: 2014 S60 T6 R-D w/ P*, MB C450 AMG, Lexus RC350, BMW 328xit, B7 A4
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys what's going on. My lease is coming up on my current car in November and I'm thinking about what I want to get into next. I've never had a Volvo of my own, but my mom had an XC90 and then an XC60 when I was in school and I loved both of the cars. I really like the S60 and V60 in terms of sheer looks, and I have been looking more and more into the T6 models. I wanted to get some owners' feedback on the cars, so I'll throw a few questions below and hopefully get some good feedback. I know only a bit about Volvo so excuse any ignorant questions.

For reference, Im looking to buy under 30k miles and under $30k, preferably CPO and definitely R-design (I would die for a v60 Polestar if it was just a few grand cheaper)

- How are they in terms of reliability? I currently have a '16 MB C450 and it is a nightmare to keep running, even with less than 30k miles so I want to get into something pretty bulletproof next.

- What are the common modifications to the T6/S60/V60 in general, both cosmetic and performance? Are there any good performance chips?

- Who are the best tuning companies? I know IPD is a big one, is it possible to get Heico parts here in the States?

- Has anyone put quad pipes on their S60/V60? If so how? (Love the way they look)

- Could a T6 with a few mods compare with an S4/S5?

- What would be the one thing you would want to tell someone considering their first Volvo?

Cheers!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Are you looking at the 6cyl or 4cyl?

2016 was the last year of the inline 6. They started offering the twin charged 4cyl.

I just picked up a '12 T6 I6 I came from an 05 T5. The T5 motor and trans gave me zero problems for 325k. I hope the T6 does the same.
The T6 I6 has a good amount of jam to it, feels comfy, and is different then what's on the road in my area.

The I6 has been around for awhile is quite refined, not too many problems.
There is not much cosmetic options. Only a handful of companies offer exterior stuff, and is all overpriced IMO.

My buddies have S4's. I like the looks and the seats better in the S4.
They were surprised that my T6 could keep up. However the S4 still takes the cake in a race. The DSG transmission in them is amazing compared to the sloppy transmission in the T6.
The tunes available will let you come out in front of an S4, but just as easily an S4 can get a tune and trump your tuned T6.
I still think my S60 will be more reliable than the S4 and the gas mileage is quite better.
Just remember these cars were 15k less than an S4 when new.

Just check for maintenance records when looking. I find most volvo owners are on top of maintenance which is wonderful for buying second hand.

Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
The first thing I would tell somebody is that the lifetime transmission fill is malarkey and you should be ready to flush your transmission oil by yourself. The transmission is the weak link for the vehicle with an in-line 6 IMP, don’t know about the inline-4 personally.

You need some tools, some ramps, some oil, a VIDA/DICE unit, and a little patience. It’s simpler then you think but the oil is a little expensive. You’ll need to buy 8 more liters with this kit from FCPEuro, the 4L containers are cheaper (and the OEM Aisin oil is cheaper as well), but I recommend it.

https://youtu.be/EAb9p8Wph-M

I followed that video after watching it first. It’s super informative and works exactly the same on my car since it’s the exact same engine/transmission combo

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes! That guys videos are super helpful! I’ve been able to do a lot of stuff to my car thanks to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,962 Posts
For reference, Im looking to buy under 30k miles and under $30k, preferably CPO and definitely R-design (I would die for a v60 Polestar if it was just a few grand cheaper)

- How are they in terms of reliability? I currently have a '16 MB C450 and it is a nightmare to keep running, even with less than 30k miles so I want to get into something pretty bulletproof next.
I've owned a few of the T6 6 cylinder cars (still have two) and they've generally been pretty reliable.

MY 16 was a changeover year for the T6 RD as most of them were 4 cylinder cars after the 6 cylinder motors were all gone.

I was just looking at autotrader and a MY 15..5 RD for $20k is a really good deal IMHO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts