SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After buying and upgrading a P2 and a P1 for myself, I'm now considering a P3 to replace the wife's F10 535i. I have tried out 5- and 6-cylinder versions, and as she wants awd the 4-banger seems less desirable. Major concerns are about difficulty of maintenance [I do all my own] relative to the earlier models. We have dogs, so the V60 seems to be the way to go. Strictly looking at used, and no 4-cylinders. I've spent a few hours browsing the 11-18 P3 thread so far.

On test drives, the first sour note is that the sport seat is just too tight for my size-46 rib cage. Fortunately, it seems that the S80 front seat can be retrofitted with little trouble. Given that most of the vehicles on the market that have the "right" features tend to have Sport and Dynamic bits, this is important.

Many of the available models that show up on internet searches are the CC model. So far I haven't found definitive info on what, if anything, can be done to lower the CC down to regular V60 ride height. Should I even be considering this sort of project?

When buying my current 2008 V50, I was given the option of either 17" or 18" wheels/tires. With stock suspension, the 18's were just too harsh. After going with the 17's and adding Bilstein struts, the ride and handling are spot-on. Can I expect a decent ride/handling mix with the 19" Bors? Those are by far the best-looking wheel for the P3.

Many other questions, but that's enough for now. One final note: my first car was a Volvo 122S, and I had 3 more after [544, 164, 145]. Then the rest of the world's automakers caught up and passed Volvo - especially when it came to the cost of maintenance parts. Sometime early in the 21st century the market came back around, and I've been very happy owning a V70awd and the current V50awd.

686Sport

·
Registered
775 Posts
After buying and upgrading a P2 and a P1 for myself, I'm now considering a P3 to replace the wife's F10 535i. I have tried out 5- and 6-cylinder versions, and as she wants awd the 4-banger seems less desirable. Major concerns are about difficulty of maintenance [I do all my own] relative to the earlier models. We have dogs, so the V60 seems to be the way to go. Strictly looking at used, and no 4-cylinders. I've spent a few hours browsing the 11-18 P3 thread so far.

On test drives, the first sour note is that the sport seat is just too tight for my size-46 rib cage. Fortunately, it seems that the S80 front seat can be retrofitted with little trouble. Given that most of the vehicles on the market that have the "right" features tend to have Sport and Dynamic bits, this is important.

Many of the available models that show up on internet searches are the CC model. So far I haven't found definitive info on what, if anything, can be done to lower the CC down to regular V60 ride height. Should I even be considering this sort of project?

When buying my current 2008 V50, I was given the option of either 17" or 18" wheels/tires. With stock suspension, the 18's were just too harsh. After going with the 17's and adding Bilstein struts, the ride and handling are spot-on. Can I expect a decent ride/handling mix with the 19" Bors? Those are by far the best-looking wheel for the P3.

Many other questions, but that's enough for now. One final note: my first car was a Volvo 122S, and I had 3 more after [544, 164, 145]. Then the rest of the world's automakers caught up and passed Volvo - especially when it came to the cost of maintenance parts. Sometime early in the 21st century the market came back around, and I've been very happy owning a V70awd and the current V50awd.

686Sport
Well I guess my question is, why would you buy a CC then lower it? To humor the idea though, I'm sure you can put the standard, or even R design springs on the CC to bring it down.

Ride quality on the standard suspension or even CC suspension with 19's will be acceptable - decent. R design with 19's, harsh.

The T6 is the way to go, IMO. Personally, the transmission is a bit of a let down for me (12-16my). So maybe consider the T5 4 cyl in the later years and get the 8 speed. It's far superior IMO. I prefer the T6 so much that I am willing to put up with the transmission though.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I guess my question is, why would you buy a CC then lower it? To humor the idea though, I'm sure you can put the standard, or even R design springs on the CC to bring it down.

Ride quality on the standard suspension or even CC suspension with 19's will be acceptable - decent. R design with 19's, harsh.

The T6 is the way to go, IMO. Personally, the transmission is a bit of a let down for me (12-16my). So maybe consider the T5 4 cyl in the later years and get the 8 speed. It's far superior IMO. I prefer the T6 so much that I am willing to put up with the transmission though.

I think Polestar is the only way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
709 Posts

My thoughts are the same. Surely the option you are looking at is the hardest way to do it.

I'm reading it that you dont want any sporty characteristics (seats, ride comfort), yet want the look and performance of the sporty versions.

I would suggest finding an R Design and putting smaller wheels on it, but then you are stuck with the sports seats. Its a good question for the brains trust.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
T6 3.0 V60RD (I admit, I’m biased) - correct ride height great ride/handling compromise (unlike our P2 V70R, despite expensive adjustable shocks) and the best engine Volvo has ever used. That just leaves the transmission (OK, but not great) and the sport seat to swap out.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Not sure why everyone says 19" wheels with RD suspension is harsh - I find it to be just fine, no less rough than our 2008 S40 2.4i with 18" wheels. Maybe that's just me, but I wouldn't be scared away from 19s.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure why everyone says 19" wheels with RD suspension is harsh - I find it to be just fine, no less rough than our 2008 S40 2.4i with 18" wheels. Maybe that's just me, but I wouldn't be scared away from 19s.
Thanks for the responses, folks. Actually, there are three options the car must have: awd, white exterior, and heated steering wheel. That last comes with the climate package; I don't know whether it could be ordered as a stand-alone - but I doubt it.

Note that V50T5AWD observed that the Bors are no more harsh than 18's on his P1 - but my experience on the P1 [also T5awd] was that 18's were too harsh. Could have been the tires, I suppose. Can the Bors be had on the T6? I've only ever seen them on T5's.

Agree that the 6 is a lovely engine, and apparently its oil separator is much easier to service. Neither of my T5's has ever needed attention to that system - but nice to know.

Our BMW has the 8-speed, and it's nice and smooth. The one T6 I've tested wasn't nearly so smooth, but I can live with that.

Finally, the only reason to buy a CC is that there are so many of them available used and cheap, possibly because a lot were in rental fleets. I've read some places that the CC's front chassis setup is the same as the V70's, and thus quite different than the 60 series'. Was hoping to find that one could simply change out a few pieces to remove the 2" lift.

Early days, but getting serious. We are in VA but often go to Philly. If anyone knows of a white V60 out there with awd and climate package, please sing out. tia,

686Sport

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you are completely against the 4-cyl (I don't blame you one bit) and if you don't want to pay the premium for a V60 T6 when you don't actually want the seats and stiffer suspension, then why not aim for an early V60 T5 AWD that came with the 5 cylinder, but not the Cross Country model? I don't think the V60 T5 AWD had sport seats as standard. The full climate package is going to be what limits you though. When I was looking for my V60, I didn't see many with that package. Do you think that package is more common on CCs? Currently on AutoTrader, I see 36 White V60 T5 from 2015-2016 with AWD and 16 White V60 T5 CC from 2015-2016. I would think you have a better chance finding what you want without having to settle for a CC that you would have to lower.

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
This one seems to fit the bill for you.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...ersModified=true#listing=240522049_isFeatured

White AWD V60 (not a CC) with regular seats and 5 cylinder motor and cheap at $22k, but it does have an accident on its carfax.

IMO you're better off finding a car like this than messing around with changing seats and suspension to fit your needs.

Edit: Oops, no heated wheel but I'd rather try to add that than the other stuff above.

·
Registered
603 Posts
This one seems to fit the bill for you.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...ersModified=true#listing=240522049_isFeatured

White AWD V60 (not a CC) with regular seats and 5 cylinder motor and cheap at $22k, but it does have an accident on its carfax.

IMO you're better off finding a car like this than messing around with changing seats and suspension to fit your needs.

Edit: Oops, no heated wheel but I'd rather try to add that than the other stuff above.
The seller was really HEAVY on HDR...trying to sell a dream??

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
The seller was really HEAVY on HDR...trying to sell a dream??
McGrath's pics are always done that way - must be a thing. I know they also have zero interest in budging on their prices, FWIW.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
HDR as in high dynamic resolution on his iPhone? Dream as in asking a bit too much for a medium-option car?

My current Volvo came from ProlixArgon. I believe he told me that the heated wheel option started in '15 on the P3 platform. Not sure if it can be fitted to a car that didn't come with it, but I'll find out and share.

686Sport

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Your sweet spot might actually be a recent XC70 T6. You get the cushy and passenger-friendly seating of an S80, not to mention the better sound-deadening measures compared with the S/V60 options, more interior room by far, especially for the rear half of the car (especially important if you're hauling kids or pets, because my S60 barely has room for a baby seat behind a tall front seat rider), and you can get the 3.0T. People have lowered them, too, so you'll be able to follow other peoples' builds for the info you need. I'm seriously tempted to trade in my S60 T6 for a XC70 T6 for the added serenity and space, not to mention added cargo capacity of a big-box wagon body.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had a V70: too big, just ponderous in any curvy environment. And that cladding on the XC's is just fugly! Thanks for the thought, though. Prolix and I covered the XC70 angle last week in detail, btw.

My V50 handles the dogs OK, and if we have to haul grandkids one of our children's three-row Asian SUV's will be around. The real test will be whether the wife is comfortable entering and exiting the V60 driver's seat.

Recent browsing of CarFax has revealed a number of low-mileage battery replacements on V60's. What's up with that? tia,

686Sport

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Had a V70: too big, just ponderous in any curvy environment. And that cladding on the XC's is just fugly! Thanks for the thought, though. Prolix and I covered the XC70 angle last week in detail, btw.

My V50 handles the dogs OK, and if we have to haul grandkids one of our children's three-row Asian SUV's will be around. The real test will be whether the wife is comfortable entering and exiting the V60 driver's seat.

Recent browsing of CarFax has revealed a number of low-mileage battery replacements on V60's. What's up with that? tia,

686Sport
Yes, P3 V60 is better comparison to P2 V70 (about the same weight, smaller inside, more modern, quicker, better ride).

P3 60s don’t have battery in trunk like ‘real’ Volvos - my ‘16 V60RD OE battery failed at 2.5 years and 82k km, so just beyond warranty.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yes, P3 V60 is better comparison to P2 V70 (about the same weight, smaller inside, more modern, quicker, better ride).

P3 60s don’t have battery in trunk like ‘real’ Volvos - my ‘16 V60RD OE battery failed at 2.5 years and 82k km, so just beyond warranty.

My 70k 15 RD has original battery.

·
Administrator
55,934 Posts
I was thinking of picking up a V60CC Platinum - I thought the suspension was a "simple" change of springs/struts and possibly control arms. Has any one found out the facts on the suspension setup?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I was thinking of picking up a V60CC Platinum - I thought the suspension was a "simple" change of springs/struts and possibly control arms. Has any one found out the facts on the suspension setup?
I wonder if you could figure out parts interchangeability by looking closely at suspension diagrams on a parts site like Tasca Parts, writing down and then comparing part numbers for a lot of the major parts on a same-year V60 on CC. If major components such as control arms, hubs etc. have the same part number on both variants, I’d assume the other bits like springs and dampers could be made to fit from one to the other, either to raise a regular V60 or to lower a CC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts