SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

A brief introduction -- I have always been a gearhead, starting 12 years ago with a Saturn SL2 in high school, branching into Suzuki 4x4s and recently into Mercedes turbodiesels. I do all my own wrenching, and have done everything from oil changes to engine swaps, so I'm pretty familiar with all things automotive.

That aside, I have a friend who has a soft spot for Volvos but has never owned one. She is considering a 2012 S60 T5, but a little searching of the net makes me think this may be a bad call -- too many issues with oil consumption and Volvo not owning up to a major mechanical issue. The car is question has 42k miles and is slightly outside of the 5yr warranty. The VIN is YV1622FS7C2078738. Seller is asking $14k, claims no consumption of oil. Everything else is clean, and it has full dealer records for maintenance.

I'm going to look at it Sunday with her dad (against my advice to just run fast the opposite direction...).

Should I run away from this model year? Any other advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have also read that the issue was corrected for the 2013 model year, and possibly the late 2012 vehicles. Is this true, and if so how do you tell if a specific car is on one side or the other of that time?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Try searching again. I think the post that has the word "guzzler" in the title is one of the most extensive and does have the range of affected VINs. My car had the problem at around 43k miles and the dealer did the piston ring job with minimal push on my side. Car is at 55k miles now and no problem at all.
$14K is a great price! If you can make sure oil consumption is not a problem or can have it fixed at Volvo's expensive go for it. Otherwise a 2013 with the improvements is a better choice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
57K miles on my S60 and no issues to date....

·
Registered
282 Posts
The car is question has 42k miles and is slightly outside of the 5yr warranty. The VIN is YV1622FS7C2078738. Seller is asking $14k, claims no consumption of oil. Everything else is clean, and it has full dealer records for maintenance.
If this 2012 is out side the range of S60s that had the problem with burning oil, the price is good. However, the 2012 you're looking at is out of warranty. I would suggest finding a CPO 2012, or better yet a 2013. With no warranty, repairs can/will get expensive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was solidly inside the range of oil burners. The guy said "it has a low oil light, and it never come on or ever been low on oil" :facepalm:. I pulled the dipstick and it was 1.5 quarts low. He said it was his car, his wife said it was his father's car and his small son who was along with him exclaimed "daddy, this isn't your car!"

He got defensive when I asked about the oil issue, and said he could get $13k from Carmax, because he "wanted to sell it fast without any more effort." despite the rest of the car being recently washed, the exhaust tips and the surrounding bumper were covered in soot, the leather was worn, and it had a pretty good scrape on the front end. One of the service records (at 25k miles) indicated something to the effect of "customer complains of knocking/clattering from the engine, especially when cold. Performed oil service, problem resolved"

Needless to say, I cut that meeting short and we ran...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am looking at buying a T5 AWD 2013 S60, used from a dealer but not certified as it is a BMW dealer. Anything specific I should be concerned about other than condition, accident damage, and mileage? Any common issues with that model? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would just add that I have a 2012 that is outside of the affected VINs and it's the best car I have owned in quite a while. Ours was purchased from a Volvo dealer so we were able to buy the CPO package with it. It has 65k on it now (23k when purchased) and doesn't use a drop of oil for some reason. After a few years I still love this car.

I did add a bigger sway bar from IPD and that made the car near perfect. I just finished a 3k and a 1.5k trip in the last month and love it for extended trips like that.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I am looking at buying a T5 AWD 2013 S60, used from a dealer but not certified as it is a BMW dealer. Anything specific I should be concerned about other than condition, accident damage, and mileage? Any common issues with that model? Thanks for any input.
No major widespread issues with the '13's. Ours just turned 84k and beside a new fuel pump at 16k and about 3/4 quart of oil consumption in 10k miles starting at around 60k (normal IMO), shes a solid car. If the car is still under factory warranty I believe you can buy an extended warranty through Volvo.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Looking around for a 2013 in good shape... also considering an Infiniti g37x, like Volvo a little more, plus the G gets terrible gas mileage. Just a little concerned about problems, happy to hear 2013 models don't have specific known issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.