SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - thanks for all the great information in this forum.

I've test driven a 2008 V8 with 70K miles and I don't notice any strange sounds, steering problems or rough shifting. I'm considering buying it for about 20K USD. I'm told the car passed the dealers '125 point inspection' but they cannot provide any maintenance records.

I've been offered an extended warranty that would take me to 100K miles for 2200 USD. This warranty seems to cover most major systems like the engine, transmission, electronics, etc. The dealer has told me that Volvo parts and labor are very expensive and the warranty is a good idea.

From what I've read on this forum the bearing failures seem to be on 2005 and older V8s and the major transmission problems are with the T6 models. Consumer reports has this model as average for reliability.

I've never owned a Volvo or a 70K used car before, so this is uncharted territory for me. I do not buy extended warranties on electronics and the such, but I find myself considering it in this case.

I'm curious what you think? Would I be better served to put the 2200 in the bank as a rainy day repair fund, or get the warranty? FWIW I know how to do a few things but I am not very mechanically skilled when it comes to working on a car myself.

Thanks,
mfresh07

·
Registered
950 Posts
Only buy the car and especially the warranty if it is from a Volvo dealer and is a CPO factory warranty. You will ultimately be unhappy with the purchase without the goodwill warranty that comes from a good dealership/client relationship. Many of the drivability issues with the car require Volvo dealership specific knowledge, tools and capabilities. If the warranty you're looking at is "aftermarket", ask the Volvo dealership in your area if they will work with that warranty. Bet ya a buck they so no.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Only buy the car and especially the warranty if it is from a Volvo dealer and is a CPO factory warranty. You will ultimately be unhappy with the purchase without the goodwill warranty that comes from a good dealership/client relationship. Many of the drivability issues with the car require Volvo dealership specific knowledge, tools and capabilities. If the warranty you're looking at is "aftermarket", ask the Volvo dealership in your area if they will work with that warranty. Bet ya a buck they so no.
This is good information and I agree..............

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You'll be needing cash for tires and brakes. I strongly agree with the previous posts. IF this is a Volvo dealer and you can CPO, definitely go for it. If not, I'd be cautious as the warranty coverage could get squirrely. You will want Volvo service (or good independent with strong Volvo knowledge) with a warranty coverage or it could become frustrating.

As for the choice of 2008 V8, I cannot convince my wife to trade hers for anything. We love it. We have 100k warranty and it's certainly paiid for itself.

·
Registered
262 Posts
All the above is true, but there's a price for all risk. Discount the car enough, and it's worth taking the risk. Get a PPI from a good independent specializing in Volvos and whom has experience with XC90s. You should also be aware that while the VAST majority of transmission failures were in the T6 models, the V8s are not unvarnished in that department. There have been some reports of premature tranny failures in the V8 as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you

Thank you for all of the replies.

The deal is an independent called 'Carmax' and not Volvo. Carmax does say that repairs under their warranty can be done in any ASE certified center. I've called the local Volvo dealer service department and the guy I talked to said he thought they could service it under this warranty.

He also recommended CPO, and I asked him to pass my info along to a salesperson. The Carmax car has the 'executive' package and is priced well according to Edmunds TMV, but the interior is a little banged up and someone did a pretty crappy job of DIY paint chip fixing on the hood and trunk.

Hopefully for the price of the car+warranty I can find something CPO in slightly better condition.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you note the interior to be banged up now, you will likely NOT want to buy it. You'll see that everyday and it's very hard to recondition a banged up interior. There are lots of really nice CPOs. It is very hard to find a 2008 V8 however. Can you post photos of the interior?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Executive package XC90's are pretty rare. I had one myself and loved it. (a 2008 as well)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
That's why I was curious to see photos from OP. If it is just dirty it would be worth the cleaning. But if the leather were damaged, it would scare me away. The executive package leather is remarkably nice.

·
Registered
262 Posts
For the total of that vehicle plus warranty cost, you should be able to find a 2008 or maybe even 2009 CPO 3.2 AWD with 60k or fewer miles and a relatively standard options package (nothing fancy) if you are in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic, prices may be higher elsewhere. Finding a CPO V8 with exec package at that price will likely be difficult.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Totally agree.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts