SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the above mentioned vehicle. It's looks as if it's been well cared for. It's for sale here in the classifieds. Am I asking for trouble? Is it a ticking time bomb with costly repairs right around the corner? Or on the flip side it could last for 200,000 miles:D It's heavily modified as well. Great price BTW but I'll have to ship from Denver to Philly area. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Considering the above mentioned vehicle. It's looks as if it's been well cared for. It's for sale here in the classifieds. Am I asking for trouble? Is it a ticking time bomb with costly repairs right around the corner? Or on the flip side it could last for 200,000 miles:D It's heavily modified as well. Great price BTW but I'll have to ship from Denver to Philly area. Thoughts?
If it's heavily modified (in terms of performance), it better be done right or it will be a ticking time bomb. Any info on what the modifications are?

Edit: Found the caR
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...p-Black-Sapphire-Nordkap-Options-and-Upgrades!

·
Registered
691 Posts
It looks like that guy spent a lot of money on the car... Test drive it, bring it to a Volvo shop or someone you trust mechanic wise and have them look it over from top to bottom. We can all get into details about what to look for, so if you need that let us know..

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
You could get one of the outfits that do PPIs give it the once over for you but if it were me, I'd have a pretty hard time buying something sight unseen. So, you need to be prepared to buy a one way air ticket to go check it out and run the risk of having to get yourself back to Philly if it doesn't work out, or more likely you get to take a nice ride back in your new car.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it seems like a fantastic car and lots of money was well spent. Problem is the car is in Denver and I'm in Phily so I have no way of checking it out. Interior, as expected, is starting to show its age. Our agreed upon price is great I'm just trying to cover myself as I can see and feel, or drive the car before purchase. Flying out and driving home is not an option for me way too much time and money. Decisions.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'm in the Denver area and could possibly check it out for your if you wanted. Just PM if your interested

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
That's an awfully nice car. And the guy spent a lot of money on it for only asking $16K. Good luck.

I bought my caR sight unseen 2 states over with 48K. I had them take a lot of pictures and check every way I could think of to make sure the car hadn't been involved in a major accident. I'm pretty satisfied and I'm at 56K now.

At around 50K miles you start doing major repairs. So I would expect that if the car has been maintained there shouldn't be any surprises. I would be more concerned with cosmetics inside and out.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I would never, ever buy a car without seeing it first and test driving it ever......

1 exception to this rule.. If you have a lot of money, but then if your where rich (no disrepect)I don't think you would be buying a 15,000 dollar car.. I'm talking filthy multi million dollar rich:eek:

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
I would never, ever buy a car without seeing it first and test driving it ever......

1 exception to this rule.. If you have a lot of money, but then if your where rich (no disrepect)I don't think you would be buying a 15,000 dollar car.. I'm talking filthy multi million dollar rich:eek:
I've bought my last two cars without looking at them and all was well. Granted my R still had a year's worth of warranty on it so I was covered there. The Saab didn't but it was so dirt cheap who cares.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The two most important issues with these 'R' cars are the frailty of their wide bore blocks which does sometimes result in a catastrophic failure and the need to replace a poorly specified component in the AWD system that fails in practically all cars by 100,000 miles.

This car has already had a new engine under warranty, as it runs with higher outputs the likelyhood of a repeat failure are still fairly high and greater than if not modified.

Here in the UK most failed engines are replaced with a 2.4l T5 engine that has an identical ancilleries but a narrower, near bombproof block, with good aftermarket software it has far better characteristics than the original.......

Regards, Don.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in the same boat. It seems low mileage V70Rs are so few and far between that I'm having to look out of state, even as far as the other side of the country. I would want to test drive and have a PPI performed for sure, but it can be a pretty pricey venture if you don't end up liking the car.

Maybe a local on the forums could take a look at the car for you and give it a little test drive.

I'm wondering where to take a car for a PPI if you have no idea what good independent Volvo repair shops are in the area the car is being sold. My only option may be to take it to a Volvo dealer.

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
I think there is a network of firms that do PPIs - do a search.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
That is FightR's car you are talking about. It has been very well documented on swedespeed. I personally would try to go see it or have someone look it over before I made the trip. But it is nicely modified and corner's weren't cut from all I have seen and read over the last 2 years. He seems pretty dedicated to selling to a SS Member from his other posts. Have you contacted him? He lists all the services etc, but maybe he will send you copies of service, etc. Really comes down to money. If you can buy it and have a couple grand in the S Happens fund, go for it. If not, stay clear.

Plus it has Monoblocks. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Monoblocks.

I am Wilmington, not far from OP. I want another R as my secondary/toy. If I wasn't starting grad school in the spring and considering buying a new home, I would seriously be looking at that one myself.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I just offered him my VW +cash. Even though it has the most foul interior color in history. Gobi FTMFW

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Deal is in the works! Just have to get approval from someone who offered to check out the car for me. Colovolvo I have buyers info if you could check out the car ASAP that would be great

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts