SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching Volvos quite a bit, and I'm aware of the transmission woes in the 01-02 models. That really stinks because I found a very nice 02 V70 XC w/ 99k miles for pretty cheap, $6700.

From what I've read, I want to avoid the 01 all together; and the 02's have transmission problems. What about an 02 w/ a manual? Would this be a decent purchase? My main fear is buying a car that breaks down all the time. I drive quite a bit of miles, including frequent trips from MI to WI so having a break down on that trip would really suck! I was considering an Acura TSX, but my wife loves the idea of the Volvo wagon. I guess I'm just curious what to look for and what to avoid. I'd like to find something for less than $9k if I could.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've been researching Volvos quite a bit, and I'm aware of the transmission woes in the 01-02 models. That really stinks because I found a very nice 02 V70 XC w/ 99k miles for pretty cheap, $6700.

From what I've read, I want to avoid the 01 all together; and the 02's have transmission problems. What about an 02 w/ a manual? Would this be a decent purchase? My main fear is buying a car that breaks down all the time. I drive quite a bit of miles, including frequent trips from MI to WI so having a break down on that trip would really suck! I was considering an Acura TSX, but my wife loves the idea of the Volvo wagon. I guess I'm just curious what to look for and what to avoid. I'd like to find something for less than $9k if I could.
There are only 3 US manual models: 168 hp naturally-aspirated (3700 lb car = s-l-o-w), the T5 (both previous are FWD only) and the V70R AWD, which has plenty of troubles of its own, being higher hp, & having near-exotic ride control. Just go for an '03+ XC70 or V70AWD, both of which have the 200-ish turbo engine. Don't let Jim scare you off. He's a Volvo-exclusive broker who puts high-quality work into restoring these cars. You can look for any car you want, but buying from him will get you a car that has almost gone back in time to the day it was new on the lot.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Don't let Jim scare you off. He's a Volvo-exclusive broker who puts high-quality work into restoring these cars. You can look for any car you want, but buying from him will get you a car that has almost gone back in time to the day it was new on the lot.
...and there's something wrong with this, buying a car in near new condition that needs no work?? :confused:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Where are you located? We're trading an 04 XC with 81k, would be in your budget...$9k

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Me?
Philly suburbs 19333
PM me for my phone number

(I just sold that 05 V70, all I have left in P2s is an automatic 04 V70R)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but if mattsk8 isn't interested in the '04 xc70, I am for my daughter. Call me at 610 2 five 2 6 two 9 seven. My son lives in Columbia Md.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My S60R is for sale and posted here as of today. I could meet you on one of your trips to WI to see it. I'm near Gurnee, IL.....I think you would have to drive right past me. Google Six Flags Gurnee IL and it will show you where I'm at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts