SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the verdict on drop in, upgraded compressor wheels for our K24's?
I know Viva, ARD, Pure Turbos, PDV, etc all offer some kinda upgraded, yet bolt in wheel in various different flavors of 6, 11, etc fins.

Are these just a gimmick? Or, do they actually make discernible gains? I've read that the 11 fin wheels are good, but i rarely wring out the motor that much.

Alternatively, how much output does a K24 hybrid turbo really make???

No, i'm not going to do methanol injection or anything crazy, but i do have an upgraded intercooler and could figure out how to do bigger injectors with a tune.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I ran a Viva 7+7 blade which is better than 11 blade for torque. Take your pic as far as make of the wheel. Some perform better than others it seems. I had Pure Turbos do mine, but there are others out there. Khalil had impressive results with his (better than I did). I wasn't happy enough in the end (coming from a Cavalli turbo which ultimately ate itself) so switched to an EFR7163 and woudn't look back...obviously not a drop in turbo though.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I think he was after both options. I was speaking about my hybrid experience (which does require machining of the compressor cover to fit by the way).

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Pointless unless you're increasing wheel size.
correct...you can get 6+6,7+7,11 blade,long tip...put them all on dyno and comparison vs stock is laughable, of course when you are actually tuning for it you can make it look like is doing something ,spooling faster, more power up top ...ecte.ect. like they do on line... but imo not worth the $ and laughable, ive been there.

I think he was after both options. I was speaking about my hybrid experience (which does require machining of the compressor cover to fit by the way).
if you're are just going with a larger compressor wheel you will see more power but not doing hot side/turbine wheel to match it is really throwing things off balance turbo wise...should do both to move more exhaust through to match the compressor side flow... sure tuner will tune it and you'll see yuge results but you are running a so called hybrid with still original exhaust wheel and that exhaust housing has very lill room for that larger turbine being off-centered with very lill room to bore and same old tiny wastegate hole running that 6cm2...crappy as well.

and then people throw 25-30 psi boost on it...lol

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's what gave my hybrid k24

High performance hybrid and was the cause of death of the motor). Although the usual hybrid, he had to withstand one race, even at the old setting

·
Registered
214 Posts
Now Robert will tune and in theory it is possible to get 500+ НР on the flywheel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
what was your max boost in psi ?
The system sees only 22 psi, but I do not have a manometer. But until the cutoff of 7200 rpm, the pressure does not fall and holds 22 psi. Motor will turn up to 8000 rpm

·
Registered
214 Posts
This is the start of the setup, I will most likely need to change the MAP and injectors. While waiting for instructions from Robert. But by how much air the motor missed and the k24 is pretty clear about the result.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
^And that was want I wanted from my hybrid, but didn't quite deliver. Impressive performance for a factory size turbo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Over 1500kgh sounds a bit too much on a K24H though. I wouldn't trust that figure at all unless I new the MAF scaling in the file was 100%. The best hybrids I've seen flow about 1400. Stock is about 950 - 1050 if you're lucky

For example I can make my cars DIM show 100mpg average by messing with the code. Doesn't make it right though 🤣

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes, let's see how the setup will end and what the result will be. But the hybrid is not just put another wheel in the hot part, but changed the geometry of the hot part. My mechanic says that this is not the limit for this turbine. He still has ideas on how to improve its performance.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Yes, let's see how the setup will end and what the result will be. But the hybrid is not just put another wheel in the hot part, but changed the geometry of the hot part. My mechanic says that this is not the limit for this turbine. He still has ideas on how to improve its performance.
please tell us how is he going to change the geometry of the oem k24 exhaust housing...im sure this will be something that has not been done before...the whole volvo community is at it's knees waiting for this new development. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts