SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey since yesterday afternoon I can't connect the car to my phone hotspot, If it go to wifi settings the wifi box is unchecked, I click on it I get a spinning circle for about 30 seconds then the box remains unchecked.

Called the dealer the SA says they got a message that the At&T network is having issues due to the hurricane. I don't think that's the problem as I just want it to connect to a hotspot and my phone isn't at&t and I don't even have a sim in the trunk

Has anyone had this issue of not being able to enable the wifi.?

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Try connecting via Bluetooth... also less battery drain on phone too
Opening the Volvo app in the car also helps force connect/establish internet connection

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My XC60 struggles with joining my iPhone's hotspot also. Bluetooth connectivity does seem to work better, but then you lose CarPlay features. I find if I delete the wifi network, and rejoin, it connects right away. It seems to have issues re-joining known networks in my case.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My XC60 struggles with joining my iPhone's hotspot also. Bluetooth connectivity does seem to work better, but then you lose CarPlay features. I find if I delete the wifi network, and rejoin, it connects right away. It seems to have issues re-joining known networks in my case.
You can use USB tethering and wont lose your CarPlay features

In fact, ISB tethering is much better than WiFi hotspotting your phone because other devices previously connected to your phone's wifi and set to connect automatically, will also connect, whereas USB tethering only connects the car and nothing else

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You can use USB tethering and wont lose your CarPlay features

In fact, ISB tethering is much better than WiFi hotspotting your phone because other devices previously connected to your phone's wifi and set to connect automatically, will also connect, whereas USB tethering only connects the car and nothing else

How do I tell Sensus to look for internet on usb?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
How do I tell Sensus to look for internet on usb?
The beauty is, with USB tethering, you don't tell Sensus anything. You simply plug in your phone to your car's USB, then, on your phone, you go to Network Connections/ tethering and simply choose USB tethering.

The car will automatically detect it, and if WiFi was previously chosen for the car, it'll alert you and ask if you want to stop WiFi connection and choose the new network connection.

And as soon as you remove your phone, the connection ends and USB tethering on the phone is automaticslly switched off

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The beauty is, with USB tethering, you don't tell Sensus anything. You simply plug in your phone to your car's USB, then, on your phone, you go to Network Connections/ tethering and simply choose USB tethering.

The car will automatically detect it, and if WiFi was previously chosen for the car, it'll alert you and ask if you want to stop WiFi connection and choose the new network connection.

And as soon as you remove your phone, the connection ends and USB tethering on the phone is automaticslly switched off

How do you know this? There is nothing in the manual about usb tethering. It says only Bluetooth, WiFi, or internal modem.

I tried it anyway but it didn't work. This picture was taken while my iPhone was usb connected to the white port.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses, just start working again.

I have a 2016 without android auto so USB won't do anything and I would rather use Spotify app on the car rather than the phone.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
How do you know this? There is nothing in the manual about usb tethering. It says only Bluetooth, WiFi, or internal modem.

I tried it anyway but it didn't work. This picture was taken while my iPhone was usb connected to the white port.
I use USB tethering all the time. I know this for sure. **** and dead sure about it and it works as I've described

·
Registered
450 Posts
I use USB tethering all the time. I know this for sure. **** and dead sure about it and it works as I've described

Curious if this is a regional option. I'm in the UK and don't see it available. Can you post a photo of where you enable this?

Some of the providers in the US charge additional fees for the personal hotspot feature.

Tia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

What type of smartphone do you use? Can you kindly post some screenshots of your phone and pics of how this works with Sensus apps?

thanks ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
As far as I can gather, the XC90 does not support USB tethering in the sense that the Internet-data signal does not go through the USB cable itself. Plugging in your phone to the car's USB port will give it power but the Internet-data signal still transmits via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi (hotspot). This is consistent with "The vehicle can be connected to the Internet using Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or the vehicle's integrated modem (SIM card)" from the manual.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I use 2 phones all the time, an iPhone for CarPlay and my Samsung for my music library using a different music App and internet connection, since Samsung allows external SD card installation for extra disc space for my music library.

This is how I use USB tethering that my XC90 uses without doing anything special for the car to detect the network for internet connectivity:

1. I connect my iPhone to the white USB port for CarPlay through its USB cable. CarPlay automatically connects.

2. I then connect my Samsung to the 2nd USB port using its cable and then:

(a). On my Samsung, I go to settings, then connections, then Mobile hotspot and tethering and select USB tethering.

3. I can thereafter access any of the internet Apps services on Volvo. The connection automatically cancels when I switch off the car and Sensus switches off. I'd then need to go to the phone again when I return to enable USB Tethering if I still want internet connection for the car.

4. When I want Android Auto as opposed to CarPlay, I swap the phones USB cables around, with Samsung's now using the white USB port slot on XC90.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I use 2 phones all the time, an iPhone for CarPlay and my Samsung for my music library using a different music App and internet connection, since Samsung allows external SD card installation for extra disc space for my music library.

This is how I use USB tethering that my XC90 uses without doing anything special for the car to detect the network for internet connectivity:

1. I connect my iPhone to the white USB port for CarPlay through its USB cable. CarPlay automatically connects.

2. I then connect my Samsung to the 2nd USB port using its cable and then:

(a). On my Samsung, I go to settings, then connections, then Mobile hotspot and tethering and select USB tethering.

3. I can thereafter access any of the internet Apps services on Volvo. The connection automatically cancels when I switch off the car and Sensus switches off. I'd then need to go to the phone again when I return to enable USB Tethering if I still want internet connection for the car.

4. When I want Android Auto as opposed to CarPlay, I swap the phones USB cables around, with Samsung's now using the white USB port slot on XC90.

Lol. You threw us all off when you mentioned Carplay in your earlier post. We all assumed you were using Apple. Also -> Sent from my SM-G950F not so obvious.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've thrown one of these in the trunk (hidden beneath the floor), using the trunk 12V output: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/3g-4g-router/archer-mr200/

Set up with same SSID and password as my home network (different subnet). The car automatically connects via WIFI, and kids can use their phones/iPads seamlessly going on road trips (use same SSID/password at cabin, so a seamless door-door experience with all devices). Works much better than the early XC90 access points.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts