SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Holidays guys!

I am currently working on timing my 2006 S60 T5. I have the car running but with a P0016 and P0017 CEL. I have had the timing belt off and on several times but end up with same error. But it does run and idle good. The previous owner had the belt replaced at 90k I have 125k on it now but the water pump started leaking so I went ahead and did a complete kit. (belt, pump, tensioner and idler pully). There were marker lines on the cams already so I have been using those, however now I am wondering if these may be incorrect. I have located several marks but no for sure answer to which one it is. There is the W (or upside down M) with 2 dots next to it, further down there is a mark simular to "]". I have used each mark to and hand cranked motor. The only mark that will not fully rotate is the "]".

Am I missing a mark or is my T5 just being fussy about lining up. I have dual CVVT and have followed several recommend videos on how to unload. My marks line up with the timing cover each time and continue to line up after running. Just don't understand why I am getting the errors if the marks are lining up.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Could it be that the shutter wheels for the cam sensors are off? Since you have dual VVT, you never know if the PO had the hubs off and needed to install the cam holding tool. To do this, you would need to remove the cam sensor/housing/shutter wheel to mount the tool. From my previous cam seal seal job, i roughly remember being able to install the shutter wheel onto the cam two ways. One of which being the correct way. The only reason I'm saying that the hubs were installed correctly, is because your marks line up each time.

The above recommendation is valid if the CEL's were there prior to you working on it of course. It wouldn't hurt to check anyway however.

In the event that they showed up after your WP/TB job, it would seem that the marks you are using are probably not the correct ones but not far off enough to cause any drivability issue. On the cams, there should be visible indentations that you should be using to line up on the cover. The marks you may be going by could be from the PO that wanted to get the new belt on in the same tooth for the cam gears (common practice).

Taken from another SS post, (Dont mind the single VVT, the marks should be the same):

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Covert24, thank you much for the reply. I did not have any CEL prior to wp job. I was afraid that whom ever worked on it previously may have moved something. Now when doing the cam lock to zero everything out, how do I know if the cam is in the correct position? I see that there is a slot on each cam, but there is a key slot. Does that go up or down?

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
The key slots on the cams are off center so there's only one right way for each one to go. And intake goes above center, exhaust below. Like this:

The cam alignment tool holds these in this position so that you can dial in the cam sprocket.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LlyodDobler thank you for the photo. Looks like my Christmas Holiday weekend will be spent playing with my wife's car. Now which way do I need to rotate the cam gear to take care of the CVVTs on both?

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Sorry man I don't know that yet. I'll be doing the cam seal job for the first time on my V70 after the holidays.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Rotate clockwise with the tool locked on the back, you should be all the way locked in the clockwise position when installing the belt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANK YOU!!! I have been rotating CVVT the wrong way. I have been locking cam with socket and moving CCW. I did not have a chance to work the T5 today since family is in town. I will try to redo tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You're welcome.
As long as your crank is lined up, and you have the cams locked and the cam gears rotated clockwise until they stop and in the clockwise position, the cam gear marks should be lined up with the cam cover notches, slip the belt on...good to go

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I haven't followed up on if I got the T5 in time or not. But the holidays, weather and being sick have gotten in the way. If things permit I will be reinstalling the timing belt this weekend and with fingers crossed it will be good to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the help. Just got finished with the T5. So far no CEL for timing. After locking timing cams I found my issues, timing mark provided by whoever did the timing belt were off by 5 teeth on intake and 4 teeth on exhaust. I did not have any issues with the VVT sensor cams as they were keyed for the slots as well as a notch on the cam shafts so only one way to mount them. But getting to them was a bear with having to take most items off the drivers side of the motor to reach them. Only thing left to do is the lower splash guard put back on but its raining its butt off so it will have to wait for dryer times. LOL. Thanks again for the advise and help in solving my timing issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts