SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my S60 for a while, about 1.5 years now and i am ABSOLUTLY loving every minute of it. Black on Black 2.5t awd. But the s40 is confusing me a bit...sorta even bothing me. The dimensions of the s40 and s60 are exactly the same save for overall length(only different by 5 mere inches) , they compare the s40 and s60 to the bmw 3 series etc, and they have the same powertrains. What is the purpose of the the s60? The s60 seems to have a mixed image when i tell people about it. Some say "ohh sorta like the 5 series" and "ohh the 3 series volvo version". either way, i get alittle ticked off anyway but i would just like this cleared up, it'll help this poor boy go to sleep.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I really don't know how much bigger the S60 is but it feels much bigger than the S40, the size is what made my wifes mind up. We also love the car, a 2006 S60 2.5T.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's only 5 inches longer than the s60
BMW 3 series is 176
S40 is 175.8
S60 is 180.1
BMW 5 series and almost every other midsize car: 190

so the s60 is closer to the 3 series than it is to the 5 series, but the s40 is more of a direct competitor to the 3 than the s60 is...

half of you may think im phsyco...and ud be right. It's just that i've been driving Volvo's all my life, starting with the 240 that my family has had for over 18 years, keeping me safe as an infant passenger and as a young driver. Owning a volvo had it's own mistique and aura, and i didn't even dream of owning another volvo until i graduated engineering school. and now that im old enough to get my own volvo, it pains me to see little 17 year old blokes with low riding caps and rap music driving around in a car that is essentially the same as mine. i know...im crazy

im never giong to have kids...ever, i'll get a lab and a R...then i'll be set.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is volvo trying to market cars to these kids? i've been so busy the last 3-4 semesters trying to graduate that i havn't seen a volvo ad or kept up with what they're up to

·
Registered
201 Posts
I always looked at it this way...

level 1: Merc C class, BMW 3 series, Volvo S40

level 2: Merc E class, BMW 5 series, Volvo S60

level 3: Merc S class (maybe?), BMW 7 series, Volvo S80

I think alot of people (specially us volvo fanatics) seem to think the S60 is a small little sports car than it actually is but the reality is shes a big lady, alot bigger than 3 series and c classes to the naked eye.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Re: confused about volvo's marketing? (fightinchunk)

Quote, originally posted by fightinchunk »
What is the purpose of the the s60? The s60 seems to have a mixed image when i tell people about it. Some say "ohh sorta like the 5 series" and "ohh the 3 series volvo version

You are right about this. Even the auto magazines have stated this. The S60 is in a weird category when comparing it to the BMW 3 series and 5 series. It's actually slightly larger and more luxurious than the 3 series but slightly smaller and less classier than the 5 series. Where does it fit? Don't know.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (Heimpel)

Quote, originally posted by Heimpel »
I always looked at it this way...

level 1: Merc C class, BMW 3 series, Volvo S40

level 2: Merc E class, BMW 5 series, Volvo S60

level 3: Merc S class (maybe?), BMW 7 series, Volvo S80

I think alot of people (specially us volvo fanatics) seem to think the S60 is a small little sports car than it actually is but the reality is shes a big lady, alot bigger than 3 series and c classes to the naked eye.
#1 right, (sort of), Maybe a base 323 or a 325 but a 330? Not even close in ANY area
# 2 and 3, absolutely NOT. S60 is smaller, chintzier and cheaper than both E class and 5 series and an S80 compared to a 7 series, I don't think so
and an S Class? LMAO
nearly TWICE the money

·
Registered
201 Posts
im not talking about price im talking about the cars relative to other cars within their manufacturers. Obviously Volvo is not as classy in image or pricey as Mercedes or BMW but it still has its 3 sized sedans just as most other European auto makers do. Thats all I was trying to compare, yes give me an S Class over an S80... ill take an M5 over an R any day but thats not what I was trying to compare.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

YOU said it
then what did you mean?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

i can see what he's talking about, becuase I have always seen it like that. Ofcourse the 7 series isn't on the same "level" as the S calss. The s class is the daddy of them all, the pioneer of the car as we know it with the first appearance of abs brakes, airbags, three point seat belts, with radar aided cruise control and infarred lighitng in the near future. But the first and foremost issue was the size. Why make a two cars identical...with the only exception being 5 inches and 10-15k?

I can justify lexus making two cars in the same class, the ES was the family sedan/cushy ride car, and the GS was the sporty model with the 4.3 litre engine available to us petrolheads.

and the merc E class being like the lexus ES and the merc cls being the sporty equivalent like the GS

but in this case, both are really sport, but with the S40 being alittle more sporty with less weight, becuase volvo stupidly put the same options ei. AWD with the 2.5T etc.

So it looks like the answer is...volvo messed up. Porsche got it right, they created the caymen to fill in that void, but they put it right in the middle of the carrerra and the boxster literally. engine size was EXACTLY in the middle, price was EXACTLY in the middle, hp was exactly in the middle.

Volvo needs to make the S40 a competitor of the new hatchbacks that audi/bmw/merc will be offering in the very near future. Audi already has they're A3, bmw with the 2008 bmw 1 series(old 318ti), and merc with the c230/c320 compressor coupe hatch. keep the s60 as the bmw 3 series/g35/merc c class competitor(but making the volvo far superior ofcourse
) and revamp the s80 into a viable 5 series competitor, with the a sportier look and a V8

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
anyway, get used to me being around more. Im graduated, have a civil eng job starting in the fall paying more than i ever thought with only a 3.1 major gpa. time + money = more volvos...hopefully an R in the very near future. M3 eat your heart out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re:

Since I just bought my S60 very recently, I happened to do this exercise comparing Volvo with MB and BMW not very long ago.

S40: 325, C230
S60: 330, C320
S80: 5-series, E-class

I drew the comparison based mostly on size, horsepower/torque, and available feature. When I compare the price, Volvo represents a better deal in each of the comparisons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts