SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it and what does it do? Is this the menu option of turning dsct off? How do you change it and what menu is it on?

THanks!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Sport Mode is when you push the stick over into +/-, that will activate "S" mode. You can also disable the DSTC in the "My Car" menu and it will activate DSTC Sport Mode (a light will come up on the dash for that).

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
On the S60, when you put Geartronic into manual mode, the "D" will change to "S". When you start to manually shift, the "S" will change to a number and hold the gear. With the transmission set to "S", sport mode, the engine management programming adjusts the shift points, engine timing and fuel map to deliver a more enthusiastic driving experience. Sport mode offers optimal performance out of the T5 or T6 engines. Return the gear selector to "D" and the engine and shift maps return to "normal". Many owners drive in Sport mode instead of Drive because it better matches their driving style. Experiment with it and see which you prefer; Sport mode is addictive. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
So then what's the difference between Sport Mode using the gear selector and DSTC Sport Mode chosen in the "My Car" menu? I'm confused.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Read your owner's manual

·
Registered
80 Posts
In short, it changes the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal and steering to feel more "sporty" and let you hang the rear end out a little further before the electronic nannies kick in to save you. It's independent of the shifter Sport Mode settings. The whole explanation is too long to post, so go to pages 149-150 of the online Owner's Manual here: http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/2012-Volvo-S60-Owners-Manual.pdf.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Basically the gear shifter sport mode, as mention earlier, changes your shift points and fuel mapping. The car just wants to take off in sport mode. The My Car setting basically allows for more wheel spin. For most people, probably only useful when stuck in snow and need wheel spin to get you moving.

However, you can not completely disable DSTC, which is why it's called "Sport Mode" and not "Off" in the My Car menu and I'm not sure how much wheel spin is allowed which does concern me. I just hope it's enough to get the car moving in heavy snow. Last winter was very mild in my neck of the woods so didn't get a chance to verify. Maybe someone else here with more snow experience can shine some more light that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There's an actual D gear? I don't think the car's ever been in that gear since the day I brought it home. It's permanently stuck in S. :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I tried it on the way into work today. BIG DIFFEENCE! This thing feels much livlier. Looks like it sucks gas too though. Do any of you that use this mode know how much it affected your mileage?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
JRL does have a point, have you read the manual?

I knew a lady who owned a Volvo for 3 years when she saw me using the tab on the gas door to hold the gas cap while filling the tank. "How did you know you could do that?"

Or the guy who owned a S70 for 4 years who looked totally shellacked when I folded down his rear seats. "I didn't know that they would do that".

In either case, RYFM.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use the S mode quite a bit...and from what I can tell it does tend to use up more gas. I've read reviews that have been able to average around 23 to 24 mpg on the T6. I tend to average somewhere between 20 to 21 mpg and most of my commute is on a highway (distance wise at least). I've had even lower mpg averages, but that's whats typical for me. I don't really mind, though, because I never bought my car anticipating good gas mileage...not sure how much it affects the T5...

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I like the transmission shift points in Sport but I find the throttle mapping is too sensitive making
it harder to control on twisty mountain roads. Anyone else think throttle mapping is a bit too
"non-linear" in sport mode? Mine is a 2011 and after a dealer software update (at the first service)
I had Sport mode. So it could be an early version of the software.

I wonder if the Polestar tune changes Sport mode throttle mapping from what the Volvo factory
setup uses?

·
Registered
22 Posts
In short, it changes the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal and steering to feel more "sporty" and let you hang the rear end out a little further before the electronic nannies kick in to save you. It's independent of the shifter Sport Mode settings. The whole explanation is too long to post, so go to pages 149-150 of the online Owner's Manual here: http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/2012-Volvo-S60-Owners-Manual.pdf.
Thank you!! This is the information that i was trying to obtain (independent of the shifter Sport Mode settings).

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I wonder if the Polestar tune changes Sport mode throttle mapping from what the Volvo factory
setup uses?
Polestar does not fiddle with the transmission programming.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
So then what's the difference between Sport Mode using the gear selector and DSTC Sport Mode chosen in the "My Car" menu? I'm confused.
This is basically the same feature that was in the 850 Turbo, only back then it was a switch on the center console tunnel that goes between "econ" and "sport" modes. It's two different transmission programmings. Sport will let you get worse fuel economy when you mash the pedal by focusing on performance over economy. That's really what it comes down to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did read the manual, but for some reason I was under the impression that sport mode was moving the lever to the right and shifting manually. Did not realize that moving it to the right and leaving it their provided a sport mode that shifted automatically. Makes a huge difference in throttle response imho. Glad I found it, makes he car feel noticeably quicker.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that when manually shifting in
Sport mode the transmission will still upshift and downshift.
It upshifts at redline and will downshift if you press the
throttle to the point where you engage the kick-down switch.
Example: Manually select third gear, drive at 3000 RPM and
push the throttle to the floor (until you feel that click for
the kick-down switch) and it downshifts to second.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts