SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why would a car have 1 VIN number on the dash and under the hood and another, totally different one on the door sticker? Why would volvo recognize only the one on the sticker and not the one bolted to the car in the other two places? <p><br>

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: conflicting VIN numbers (stanley)

Welcome to Swedespeed, Stanley.<p>Share all the VIN's with us and we will check 'em out.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: conflicting VIN numbers (gdill2)

Well, I have called Volvo. One, the one on the door, matches my car. The other one does not show up in the Volvo warranty database as even being an existing car. <p>Before sending them to you, what would you do with them differently?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>stanley</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>Before sending them to you, what would you do with them differently? </TD></TR></TABLE><br>Hmm, you may have bought a car with a new front clip

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: conflicting VIN numbers (JRL)

Here is the one that volvo doesn't recognize, that PA doesn't recognize (car is from west chester). <p>yv1RS793922155732 <p>The odd part is, the car IS a V70.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts

This reminds me of that funny name for German pastry...<p>George Dill

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>stanley</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>yv1RS793922155732 <p><br></TD></TR></TABLE><br>Not a valid VIN for anything

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>stanley</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is the one that volvo doesn't recognize, that PA doesn't recognize (car is from west chester). <p>yv1RS793922155732 <p>The odd part is, the car IS a V70. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Something is not right: the VIN above is for an S60 ("RS"). The engine code shown ("79") has never been one offered in the U.S.<p>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: conflicting VIN numbers (GrecianVolvo)

Exactly. The whole thing is a mess. I can't get plates for the car, I can't sell it, and I paid for it, having bought it from a dealer, a good dealer, who seems to insist that all was in order when it was purchased. <p>Somewhere, someone, for some reason, made a change, and its odd that they didn't know about the sticker in the door. Unless someone owned a foreign S60 and a V70 and then put the v70 body on the s60 car frame and sold the wagon with it's original vin, but then why use the wrong vin on the dash? <p><br>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

A DEALER <B>MUST </B>make good on it, (by law), contact your state's DMV for starters

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: conflicting VIN numbers (JRL)

Just got word today, the dealership has formally suggested that I made the changes that have left the vehicle with two different VIN numbers. <p>Perhaps I have suffered from severe amnesia and not realized it?

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Sometimes these come off of the ship with some damage from moving about...they are repaired before they even get to the dealership- at least what I've heard.

·
Registered
785 Posts

What year is it? Sometimes cars are misbuilt with incorrect VINs. Corrected plates can be ordered via the Dealer, so I do not understand why they are not helping you. If you like, you can provide me with the correct VIN and the Retailers name and I will dig into it for you.<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by cdauerer at 8:16 AM 5-6-2009</i>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts