SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confirm XC90 bolts will work on a FWD V70 for axle ping?

OK, I've got what I think is axle ping and wanted to confirm that using the XC90 bolts, as often referenced in the R forum, is an acceptable fix (and fit) on my '04 V70 T5M. Can anyone quickly confirm that?

Modified by VTT5 at 5:44 PM 6-30-2009

·
Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: Confirm XC90 bolts will work on a FWD V70 for axle ping? (VTT5)

You should not have axle ping, I would check farther

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Confirm XC90 bolts will work on a FWD V70 for axle ping? (JRL)

Hmmm. OK, then, does anyone have ideas for what might cause a clicking/clunking noise at low speeds when coming on or off the gas (another way to think of it is when any "slack" is eliminated or introduced into the system)?

Hit gas, hear a clunk as the torque hits the wheels. Come off gas, hear another clunk. It's kind of a metallic noise, sort of hollow, overall tough to describe but unmistakable in person, enough so that my wife asks me what it is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the exact same thing on the exact same year and model, an 04' V70 T5M, I think it's the M56 tranny. How many KMS/MLS do you have on the odo?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: (gooserex)

This is a known issue. Same symptom, with light acceleration it clunked...sometimes you could hear it when tranny downshifted as well but mostly it was there with slight application of throttle.

There is a TSB for this related to play in the axle splines on the 2001-2006 models. My 2007 had this as well since it was produced in 2006. On the repair receipt it said:

Excess play in front axles resealed
46628-2 Sealing Ring Drive Shaft Wheel Spindle Front 2 Sides Replace (2)

The dealership followed the fix and now all is working fine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: Confirm XC90 bolts will work on a FWD V70 for axle ping? (VTT5)

Our 05 XC 70 is at the dealer now for the axle ping fix. I took it in suspecting axle ping and when the service adviser called he confirmed my suspicion, but went on to say they wouldn't cover it under the cpo warranty. I said OK I'll pick it up and contact Volvo. Five minutes later he calls back and says Volvo authorized the repair. Go figure... What they didn't cover: 1/2 inch crack in the passenger's seat cushion. Oh well win one lose one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.