SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confirm XC90 bolts will work on a FWD V70 for axle ping?

OK, I've got what I think is axle ping and wanted to confirm that using the XC90 bolts, as often referenced in the R forum, is an acceptable fix (and fit) on my '04 V70 T5M. Can anyone quickly confirm that?<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by VTT5 at 5:44 PM 6-30-2009</i>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Confirm XC90 bolts will work on a FWD V70 for axle ping? (VTT5)

You should not have axle ping, I would check farther

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Confirm XC90 bolts will work on a FWD V70 for axle ping? (JRL)

Hmmm. OK, then, does anyone have ideas for what might cause a clicking/clunking noise at low speeds when coming on or off the gas (another way to think of it is when any "slack" is eliminated or introduced into the system)? <p>Hit gas, hear a clunk as the torque hits the wheels. Come off gas, hear another clunk. It's kind of a metallic noise, sort of hollow, overall tough to describe but unmistakable in person, enough so that my wife asks me what it is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the exact same thing on the exact same year and model, an 04' V70 T5M, I think it's the M56 tranny. How many KMS/MLS do you have on the odo?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: (gooserex)

This is a known issue. Same symptom, with light acceleration it clunked...sometimes you could hear it when tranny downshifted as well but mostly it was there with slight application of throttle.<p>There is a TSB for this related to play in the axle splines on the 2001-2006 models. My 2007 had this as well since it was produced in 2006. On the repair receipt it said:<p>Excess play in front axles resealed<br>46628-2 Sealing Ring Drive Shaft Wheel Spindle Front 2 Sides Replace (2)<p>The dealership followed the fix and now all is working fine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Re: Confirm XC90 bolts will work on a FWD V70 for axle ping? (VTT5)

Our 05 XC 70 is at the dealer now for the axle ping fix. I took it in suspecting axle ping and when the service adviser called he confirmed my suspicion, but went on to say they wouldn't cover it under the cpo warranty. I said OK I'll pick it up and contact Volvo. Five minutes later he calls back and says Volvo authorized the repair. Go figure... What they didn't cover: 1/2 inch crack in the passenger's seat cushion. Oh well win one lose one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts