SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ETM & coil pack failure

Low rpm "bucking/stuttering/kicking", erratic idle, rpm jumping ~400rpm while holding constant speed EQUALS... ETM failure? Car now has 96100 miles btw...

All that just happened to me, I couldn't afford a tow truck 28 miles from my house and somehow managed to limp it home the whole way. Gave it a quick once over, all boost lines and charge pipes are okay only other thing I can think of is a bad CBV however I would think those issues would happen only during boost as this went on without any boost.

So what do you all think? Get on ErieVolvo and look for a ETM and find $600+ ???:mad::facepalm:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Zemodex is the only way to go

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For S60's before 2003 though... I have an '05

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Welcome to the club :(, hope erie can make you a sweet deal on the TB, im ordering mine monday from xemodex. Just double check that doesnt need any software.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So once I get a replacement ETM it isn't plug / play right? I have to have someone/somewhere to transfer the data over to it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weird...that you say that...3 days ago I was attempting to get rid of my CEL and installed the rear O2 spacer. I then did a soft reset of the ECU and no CEL drove it around for 45-50miles to work and back and right before I got home that day it came back on :[ . [Meanwhile the CEL for the O2 sensor was on for a good amount of time since I had the dp installed last summer and it ran 100 percent fine until today] I have not had the CEL codes read as before I knew it was the rear O2 sensor. Today after all that went down I'm fairly sure it is the ETM, although I really don't have the money to fix one thing and it turn out to be another... which is why I turned to you guys to help confirm what I believe is the ETM...???

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The MAF is basically brand new, within the last 20,000. Besides aftermarket/performance stuff that has been the only thing to fail on this car, I doubt it has failed again so soon. However I will try that right now and see if there is any change. Give me 5mins. I'll take it around the block.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the issue remains even with the MAF disconnected, lower rpms cleaned up a tad bit and reduced some of the "bucking/stumbling" but was still noticeable. You can hear it in the exhaust that it isn't running right at idle I'm going to rip the coils and plugs out to check and see if one is broken and I'm running on 4 or less cylinders. Wish me luck and hope there isn't anything worse I find like a blown HG. >_>

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Hg dont think so, i guess is time to invest in vida/dice, really nice tool. For example when you start the engine the rpms goes above 2000rpm and then drops? Sometimes bad etm will make make idle goes up and down, also act like yoy are on just 2-3 cylinders.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I checked the plugs they seem rather fine I guess they could be replaced soon as well. Would bad coils give a problem/s like I mentioned above. I'm really not trying to add more ideas to what could be the issue as I said before I do believe it is the ETM for sure.

little update after I checked the plugs and disconnected the MAF and took it for a quick ride around the block the CEL was now FLASHING 3x's at me then went back to solid? WTF does that mean? I guess I surely do need to get Dice/Vida before long.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
take it to a dealer, they'll give you an hour of diagnosis for free, they'll plug it in and tell you whats wrong, and then you can choose what to do from there.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's the problem in Upstate NY I don't even know where one is, if there is one I can get the car to...I've googled Watertown, NY and Syracuse, NY and still haven't found a dealership in the area.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
free diagnostic from a volvo dealer??? wow, where?, did you mean autozone? lol.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i was refering to codes. ETM codes will appear on the diagnotic tools. Thats why i think getting a dice/vida tool is great idea for people like us, you can do everything that a dealer do, less downloading software.

I did a ETM test on Vida, thats why i knew mine is gone.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It might be a PITA to do...but you might want to see if the throttle plate needs cleaning really badly. If it's all gunked up it could be causing your issues, and it would be a lot easier and cheaper to clean it than buy a whole new ETM.

This may be overkill, but perhaps a full seafoam treatment might help?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Volvo of NA says that before replacing the ETC there is a few things to do: Software upgrade, ETM clean up and then replace.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts