SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an odd question...Has anyone 'conditioned' their screen wind block for the C70? We kept ours from our '08, so we're 4+ years with ours in the Texas sun(actually, we don't have the top down too much in the summer months---not during the daytime anyway). It's looking a little washed out and I wonder about some sort of cleaner/conditioner a la Armor All or some such. I'd hate to put something on the 'fabric' that might prove deleterious. I wouldn't mind if it 'enriched' the color a bit and added some UV protection.

I don't mean to make this more difficult that it needs to be, but at $500 a clip, I don't want to have it getting ratty in the next couple of years. :thumbup: Has anyone found a satisfactory product different from typical 'protectants' ? Thanks, y'all! Only 97 degrees today...summer's just around the corner!:eek:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Odd but good question. My initial instinct would be to stay away from vinyl protectants like Armor All, but I can't really tell you why. I would instead look at fabric convertible top protectants. Many years ago I used a Meguiars convertible top product which worked OK as for as beading/protecting, but did not really darken the top that much. Eventually the black top faded anyway. There are also gels you can apply to re-darken black tops, but that may be overkill for this job. Perhaps the 1st gen C70 guys can suggest a top cleaner/conditioner.

Have you tried a gentle cleaning with Simple Green (diluted if possible)? Or, applying a bit of Armor All in an inconspicuous spot (maybe on the underside) to see what it looks like?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Perhaps the 1st gen C70 guys can suggest a top cleaner/conditioner.

Have you tried a gentle cleaning with Simple Green (diluted if possible)? Or, applying a bit of Armor All in an inconspicuous spot (maybe on the underside) to see what it looks like?
I placed a duplicate post in the Gen 1 forum...no joy so far. Our block for our '04 ragtop looked pretty darned good when I sold it; but this Texas heat/sun/dust is doing a number on the current one.

I haven't tried anything so far...hoping the gurus would have a magic potion for me ;) .

As an aside, I found the Advance Auto generic 'tire shine' to be very effective on tires. I put some on the new GoodYears and haven't had to reapply in weeks! Also used it on the XC60 bumper cover and it has held up3-4X compared to the 'auto spa' application(I'm sure theirs is watered down...wouldn't want it to last TOO long! )

reg...How about something for our dash? It's quite different from the texture of the '08, even showing a little 'opening' where it conforms to the curved dash in front. I mostly just keep it clean, but a good UV protectant should come in handy. Anything special for that? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
647 Posts
re: dash -- I've yet to use anything on it (other than a damp cloth for cleaning) but I might put on some nu-vinyl that I have lying around. For past cars I've had good results with both nu-vinyl and armor all. The armor all wipes are especially handy.

re: raggtop -- that stuff looks good; great reviews on amazon. I wish I had known about it back when I was a fabric top guy...

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
I wouldn't touch it.
If you put any treatment on the wind blocker, all you will wind up with is a very dirty piece.
It will collect a ton more dust and dirt treated over untreated

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't touch it.
If you put any treatment on the wind blocker, all you will wind up with is a very dirty piece.
It will collect a ton more dust and dirt treated over untreated
That was/is one of my concerns. I figure I can wipe 'er down with a mild cleaner, but was hoping for one of those shampoo & conditioner combos :) .
Especially with the Calcite interior, I don't want to leave any sort of residue; just spiff it up a bit(and add a little UV protection, if possible).

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Just spray your rag/towel with Windex and wipe it off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts