SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an odd question...Has anyone 'conditioned' their screen wind block for the C70? We kept ours from our '08, so we're 4+ years with ours in the Texas sun(actually, we don't have the top down too much in the summer months---not during the daytime anyway). It's looking a little washed out and I wonder about some sort of cleaner/conditioner a la Armor All or some such. I'd hate to put something on the 'fabric' that might prove deleterious. I wouldn't mind if it 'enriched' the color a bit and added some UV protection.

I don't mean to make this more difficult that it needs to be, but at $500 a clip, I don't want to have it getting ratty in the next couple of years. :thumbup: Has anyone found a satisfactory product different from typical 'protectants' ? Thanks, y'all! Only 97 degrees today...summer's just around the corner!:eek:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Odd but good question. My initial instinct would be to stay away from vinyl protectants like Armor All, but I can't really tell you why. I would instead look at fabric convertible top protectants. Many years ago I used a Meguiars convertible top product which worked OK as for as beading/protecting, but did not really darken the top that much. Eventually the black top faded anyway. There are also gels you can apply to re-darken black tops, but that may be overkill for this job. Perhaps the 1st gen C70 guys can suggest a top cleaner/conditioner.

Have you tried a gentle cleaning with Simple Green (diluted if possible)? Or, applying a bit of Armor All in an inconspicuous spot (maybe on the underside) to see what it looks like?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Perhaps the 1st gen C70 guys can suggest a top cleaner/conditioner.

Have you tried a gentle cleaning with Simple Green (diluted if possible)? Or, applying a bit of Armor All in an inconspicuous spot (maybe on the underside) to see what it looks like?
I placed a duplicate post in the Gen 1 forum...no joy so far. Our block for our '04 ragtop looked pretty darned good when I sold it; but this Texas heat/sun/dust is doing a number on the current one.

I haven't tried anything so far...hoping the gurus would have a magic potion for me ;) .

As an aside, I found the Advance Auto generic 'tire shine' to be very effective on tires. I put some on the new GoodYears and haven't had to reapply in weeks! Also used it on the XC60 bumper cover and it has held up3-4X compared to the 'auto spa' application(I'm sure theirs is watered down...wouldn't want it to last TOO long! )

reg...How about something for our dash? It's quite different from the texture of the '08, even showing a little 'opening' where it conforms to the curved dash in front. I mostly just keep it clean, but a good UV protectant should come in handy. Anything special for that? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
649 Posts
re: dash -- I've yet to use anything on it (other than a damp cloth for cleaning) but I might put on some nu-vinyl that I have lying around. For past cars I've had good results with both nu-vinyl and armor all. The armor all wipes are especially handy.

re: raggtop -- that stuff looks good; great reviews on amazon. I wish I had known about it back when I was a fabric top guy...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I wouldn't touch it.
If you put any treatment on the wind blocker, all you will wind up with is a very dirty piece.
It will collect a ton more dust and dirt treated over untreated

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't touch it.
If you put any treatment on the wind blocker, all you will wind up with is a very dirty piece.
It will collect a ton more dust and dirt treated over untreated
That was/is one of my concerns. I figure I can wipe 'er down with a mild cleaner, but was hoping for one of those shampoo & conditioner combos :) .
Especially with the Calcite interior, I don't want to leave any sort of residue; just spiff it up a bit(and add a little UV protection, if possible).

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Just spray your rag/towel with Windex and wipe it off

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's an odd question...Has anyone 'conditioned' their screen wind block for the C70? We kept ours from our '08, so we're 4+ years with ours in the Texas sun(actually, we don't have the top down too much in the summer months---not during the daytime anyway). It's looking a little washed out and I wonder about some sort of cleaner/conditioner a la Armor All or some such. I'd hate to put something on the 'fabric' that might prove deleterious. I wouldn't mind if it 'enriched' the color a bit and added some UV protection.

I don't mean to make this more difficult that it needs to be, but at $500 a clip, I don't want to have it getting ratty in the next couple of years. 👍 Has anyone found a satisfactory product different from typical 'protectants' ? Thanks, y'all! Only 97 degrees today...summer's just around the corner!:eek:
I would look at 3M fabric protector for the mesh.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Armor all was a big no no when I lived in Arizona, dashes used to crack. Looks good but back then it used to dry out the plastics. I have not used it since. I use a product called Back to Black by Mothers on exterior trim and it never seemed to attract any dust. Just don't apply to much of it, it seems to soak into the plastic and lasts for a while.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've used the plastic cleaners/protectants from both Mother's and Meguiars and had good results with both. Back to Black is great for all the exterior black plastic (such as an 850 or early P2 cars) and I also like Natural Shine as it doesn't leave that nasty super shiny residue like ArmorAll.

Reactions: coachrick

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a bit of a necro blast from the past, BUT, still timely!! Thanks for all the responses.
My most recent product has been the 303 Protectant Spray. Read so many glowing testimonials and found a good price on SlickDeals. Meh....It seems to be like so many others; but our '13 screen is holding up well(Who knows why?). I'm using the 303 generally throughout the car and am pretty pleased with the results. The '13 spent some time parked outside during the work day for a couple of years; but otherwise has been garaged at home and at work. That's a big plus here in central Texas.
Last ArmorAll product I used(?2? years ago) was "Outlast" or some such name...cream...seemed to work pretty well; but nothing special.
Nice to have so many products to choose from; but good to hear personal experiences with the various offerings.
Cheers, y'all.
Rick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts