SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help, Im so upset. I had HIDs installed in my 2009 S40 and for just over a week everything has been fine. Parked my car in the garage last night and this morning I noticed my driver side headlight has condensation in it. Im so upset. We did have some strange humid and rainy weather for the past day or so but it never did this prior to the install.

As you know the installer had to drill a hole in the cap that you remove to change the bulb but there was a rubber grommet placed there. I went back to the guy i purchased the kit from and he said it most likely had nothing to do with that hole and to come back tomorrow to see the installer. Im wondering if theyre going to try and tell me its not their fault.

Does anyone out here have any technical insight? Should I ask the installer to put silicone around the grommet and try again? Do I need to allow the water to evaporate before we try to seal it up tomorrow?

Any help is appreciated and if there is anyone in the GTA in Toronto or Kitchener/Waterloo that can help at all, I would be so greatful. I'd even drive for help.

I just got my S40 and I want it to be perfect. :(

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
You definitely need to get any water in there OUT before you seal it up. Otherwise a little eco system will be born in there.

I don't understand why a hole had to be drilled into the cap, but I've also never done an HID conversion so maybe I'm missing something :confused:

The rubber grommet sounds suspicious to have allowed some water to get into there. Also, check to see if the seals around the headlight are secure. The only other thing I could think of, would be for water or vapors to have gotten into the headlight while it was open for the install; but you say this issued occurred a week after the fact, so that doesn't sound like the case.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Mine do that from time to time. I just threw in a couple packs of silica gel and the problem was solved. Just go ask a shoe store for some. They should have some laying around

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
I had this problem after I installed my HIDS and sure enough, a little silicone around the grommet/cap hole and all was good! Don't sweat it too much.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, 1 more question

Thanks guys. I feel a bit better. I looked closer at install and sure enough the grommet has moved so there was no seal. Im going back to installer today to have it fixed, but I regret going to these guys. Had nothing but trouble with flickering and relays etc.. until I went somewhere else to get can-bus ballasts installed.

My final question is the colour. I wanted pure white, like oem Xenon white that has no blue tint. They gave me 6000K and they have a tint of blue to them, bluey-green at start up. Im thinking to exchange for 5000K any advice or experience with colour?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Don't blame the shop too much. Our cars are just extremely sensitive to aftermarket HID systems. U will find about a hundred threads regarding starting and flickering issues. Most people including shops arent in the know regarding the PWM circuitry which creates the problem for the ballast.

The best option is a retrofit using oem components which is also the most expensive.

As for the moisture that's pretty normal. That rubber grommet isn't a perfect seal. Like mentioned silica packets work great.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Mine did this after a hid projector install. I simply put a bead of silicone around the entire edge of the glass and on the grommets in the back. You can get a squeeze tube of silicone for a couple bucks at Canadian tire.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason I say not to go to JVG is because of how they're treating me now that they already have my money. They are not really honoring their advertised 100% No hassle customer satisfaction guarantee. I have since removed my headlight assembly and used a blow dryer to get rid of moisture. I am still waiting on the installer to return my calls for a bulb swap out that has already been approved.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
My final question is the colour. I wanted pure white, like oem Xenon white that has no blue tint. They gave me 6000K and they have a tint of blue to them, bluey-green at start up. Im thinking to exchange for 5000K any advice or experience with colour?
5000k is pure white (no blue). I have a set in my car.

5000k on left (XB35 bulbs), 4200k OEM BMW xenon on right

1 - 11 of 11 Posts