SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the past few days I have had moisture in my driver side headlight 2 days ago my headlight went out. I remove the bumper and the headlight to get all the moisture out. at first I thought it was a bad bulb so I swapped the driver side and passenger side.. both of the bulbs work. so I removed the ballast and water came pouring out. I got all the water out and let it sit out in the sun for a few hours then I sprayed it down with electrical cleaner. cleaned all the connections and put it all back together. Bulb still doesn't turn on.. anyone have any ideas? I don't have $500 to spend on a new ballast

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
for the past few days I have had moisture in my driver side headlight 2 days ago my headlight went out. I remove the bumper and the headlight to get all the moisture out. at first I thought it was a bad bulb so I swapped the driver side and passenger side.. both of the bulbs work. so I removed the ballast and water came pouring out. I got all the water out and let it sit out in the sun for a few hours then I sprayed it down with electrical cleaner. cleaned all the connections and put it all back together. Bulb still doesn't turn on.. anyone have any ideas? I don't have $500 to spend on a new ballast
Try soaking the entire thing in 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. If that doesn't work, the ballast is most likely fried. Look for burned points on the board where the solder is. If it's gone, look for it used on SS Classifieds and on Ebay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all for your fast responses and help.. do u know if the d1s/r ballast will work? My buddie has a couple lying around.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Thank you all for your fast responses and help.. do u know if the d1s/r ballast will work? My buddie has a couple lying around.
If it's 35W, it's possible to splice the power connections from the headlight to feed an aftermarket ballast. Not sure it would work, but theoretically I can't see why not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I figured too. He's got a full setup out of a BMW so its all oem parts.. I'm hoping the ballast and connectors are the same just a different bulb type.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
That's what I figured too. He's got a full setup out of a BMW so its all oem parts.. I'm hoping the ballast and connectors are the same just a different bulb type.
I'm pretty sure it will be different, but, the all ballasts have only 2 connections. Power and Ground, which is easy to mate and re-adapt. I guess the thing you can do is run alligator clamps, and with the housing pulled and sitting ontop of the engine frame and simply test if it works

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm pretty sure it will be different, but, the all ballasts have only 2 connections. Power and Ground, which is easy to mate and re-adapt. I guess the thing you can do is run alligator clamps, and with the housing pulled and sitting ontop of the engine frame and simply test if it works
It's worth a shot. Splicing connectors is a lot cheaper than a new ballast. Thank you for all your help

·
Registered
373 Posts
Try soaking the entire thing in 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. If that doesn't work, the ballast is most likely fried. Look for burned points on the board where the solder is. If it's gone, look for it used on SS Classifieds and on Ebay.
That's what I did. Soaked ballast, let it dry and resealed lens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't seem to find 99%. Will 91% still work?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
No, 99.9% only, 91% means it's 91% Alcohol, 9% water. And you know what water does to electronics.

Head to your nearest pharmacy and ask them, they will have it. Even Wal-Mart has it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol went to the pharmacy they looked at me like I was crazy... I'll try Wal-Mart or other pharmacies. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
If you can't find 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol, 100% Acetone works too. Just be careful not to spill it on your car or anything else for that matter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I couldnt find 99% anywhere but I did find 100% acetone. Soaked the ballast dried it and sprayed it down with electronic cleaner. Didn't work must have been to far gone. Which is strange because there wasn't any burn spots on the board. Oh well.... Luckily a SS member came through should have a working used ballast tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me this weekend.... I feel your pain!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The exact same thing happened to me this weekend.... I feel your pain!!!
Volvo told me $500!!! Lmfao Chrysler sells them for $160. If you order straight through mopar there cheaper or just get one on eBay. $90-120

·
Registered
212 Posts
Volvo told me $500!!! Lmfao Chrysler sells them for $160. If you order straight through mopar there cheaper or just get one on eBay. $90-120
I took my headlight out and removed the ballast. I had a ton of water in it. Its been raining for 3 days here in Texas. I took out the ballast and submerged the ballast in 91% alcohol. Then i dried it in the oven for about 10 minutes. Reinstalled and worked like a charm. Until the next day i got the low beam failure... UGHHHH.. I noticed there was a little condensation left in the headlight. Im going to try taking it back out again.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would be trying to find the source for the water leak.

You can open up the lights by putting them in the oven at 200-215 for about 8 minutes (don't worry, you won't hurt anything). Remove the metal clips and pry the glass open with a screwdriver. Once you get it open a little, the rest will be easy. Then you can get some new sealer and put it on the housing where the glass meets and then re-assembly is the opposite of removal.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I took my headlight out and removed the ballast. I had a ton of water in it. Its been raining for 3 days here in Texas. I took out the ballast and submerged the ballast in 91% alcohol. Then i dried it in the oven for about 10 minutes. Reinstalled and worked like a charm. Until the next day i got the low beam failure... UGHHHH.. I noticed there was a little condensation left in the headlight. Im going to try taking it back out again.
You may need to use new Butyl rope , http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=792 to reseal the headlight. The old seal may be allowing the lense to leak. The difficult part is removing the old seal, which is like trying to remove old bubble gum.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts