SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just collected my new car 2.5 weeks ago, and noticed vapour condensation on both sides of headlamps (mostly around the signal indicator portion). I have complained about this and got replacement headlamps 3 days ago, BUT the same problem is still there. Is this NORMAL, ie will this go away at some point, or is this a design fault? Will appreciate any recommendations on next steps. BTW, I have already requested for another set of headlamps, but this is getting very very tiring and irritating.<P>I also noticed the QC is pretty bad at volvo (at least in Malaysia) cos they will continue to use defective parts at the assembly plant (I am currently waiting for parts to come in from Sweeden for my leather gear knob which was grazed, driver's door panel which is faulty, and the rear RHS window's rubber lining which is defective because the edges have been 'cut' off). All these glitches, albeit appearing to be minor, is totally unacceptable for the price tag this car commands. CAn I get compensation from volvo for putting me thru this misery?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a condensation problem with the side indicators near the front doors. The only time I notice it though, is when I wash the car. For some reason it's not a problem in the rain.<P>When I first picked up my car, the headlights had a little condensation in them, but has since gone away. I do recall there being a problem with this on the initial builds of the car, but the problem was supposedly rectified. What's the build date on your car?<P>As for QC, mine's been pretty good. I had some early transmission computer issues at the very start, but once repaired, everything has been fine. <P>I agree these issues are frustrating (especially in the initial stages of ownership) and as a new owner I think you're right to expect at least a little compensation.<P>

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I find out the build date of my car? All i know is what my dealer told me, ie my car was assembled in July 2001.<P>As for the condensation in the side indicator lights, mine also experienced that when I wash my car, but it's OK if it is just around the perimeter of the casing, as long as the inner bits are not affected. <P>I just called the service centre, and was told I will have to wait 3 weeks for my parts to arrive from Sweeden. I am very disappointed with Volvo - and to think I have driven 4 models already to date 122s, 240, S70 and now V70XC. I am regretting not buying a BMW this time around, instead of the XC. This 'Volvo for Life' slogan is not going to apply anymore in my case. I will recommend my salesman to friends, BUT NOT the CAR. so far, EVERY SINGLE Volvo car has given me bits and pieces of problems here and there, with the XC and S70 being the worst of the lot. I wonder if OTHER Volvo owners had to face the misery I am going through now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your teething problems will be an irritation but hardly call for you being miserable and trashing the car out of hand. I am sure that these very minor problems will be sorted out soon. So you think that BMW's are perfect? Take a deep breath, have a sense of proportion, and enjoy the XC. Incidentally, BMW do not make a comparable vehicle. The more expensive X5 has not much cargo space, for example.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have to agree with one this. Volvo should improve their quality a bit. I think that over all they are greater than anything American built but there is a gap between Volvo and BMW, Audi, and MB which is growing.....when it should be shrinking. I think the main issue is not just quality, but also the list of options just keeps growing and growing when I think that a car of this price point should come with more standard features.<P>Finally, when Cadillac tried to compete with BMW and MB with their STS, the main problem they found was nobody wanted to spend $50,000 on a front wheel drive, even if it did have 300hp. Volvo needs to drop this front wheel drive thing also, if they don't like the "safety" of rear wheel drive, then at least be consistant with the safety issue and go all wheel drive on all models. <P>I bought a 2001 V70 2.4T because I liked the way it looks, and couldn't get my self to like the exterior design of the XC (even though I did like the interior better). It wasn't until 2002 that Volvo did it right in my opinion on the V70 by offering a AWD version, now the next step is to make it standard.<P><p>[This message has been edited by V70SAM (edited 10-16-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts