SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering a few things about the car's self monitoring system. <p>First,<p>I'm getting a message saying "Time for regular service" when I start my car. While my next 7,500 interval is in fact approaching, I wasn't expecting the message just yet and wasn't planning on getting service for about 2,000 more miles. So, is this message just based on miles driven or time passed (perhaps it was improperly reset?), or is it based on the car needing something?<p>The only thing I can think a car could "know it needs" is an oil change...does this message mean that? Or, are there other indicators/messages if oil becomes a critical issue (i.e. a message saying something like "Oil needs replacing").<p>Thanks.<p>

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: Computer Messages Related to Service (warpdrive)

From the <A HREF="http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/2005/2005_S40/05s40_03a.htm#pg43" TARGET="_blank">owner's manual</A>:<p>"This message is affect <i>(sic)</i> by the number of miles/km driven, by the number of months, or by the number of hours the engine has been run since the service function was reset at the most recent regularly scheduled service."<p>If oil becomes a "critical issue", your oil pressure warning light may come on, although that's only one type of critical issue. The car isn't going to warn you if your oil is simply old, beyond nagging you via the service message.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts