SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if these items are starting to wear out, what would the symptoms be? so far i have replaced numerous other sensors and im wondering if these items also need to be replaced. same question about ignition coils, should they be replaced as a maintenance item? car is 2007 V50 with 160K. thanks .

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
if these items are starting to wear out, what would the symptoms be? so far i have replaced numerous other sensors and im wondering if these items also need to be replaced. same question about ignition coils, should they be replaced as a maintenance item? car is 2007 V50 with 160K. thanks .
Replace anything as you want as a maintenance item. Neither Coils for the CBV/Actuator will cause you a "can't drive home" scenario. They just work less and less until it becomes noticeable and finally causes you a reduced power indicator.

That being said - CBV wearout would be unable to hold boost at higher levels. If your car can't maintain your stock/tuned desired boost PSI, and you'd have less vavavoom. You'd need a gauge to measure it either through the ODB2 or at the intake track.

Coils create misfires - the hotter they get the less they work. If you see your CEL flashing you know you have a misfire condition. If it's not plugs it's coils as we really don't have injector issues.

I would replace the CBV and coils when they fail and not before. Not as a maintenance item unless the peace of mind is worth the $$$ to you.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Neither the CBV nor the wastegate actuator really wear out, they are pressure-actuated diaphragm designs and either they work or they don't.

The CBV in our cars can occasionally rip, causing it to stay open and rob boost since it is in constant bypass mode. You'll feel a flat spot, and might hear a sort of rumbling or fluttering sound when you get on it. If you've replaced the CBV with an aftermarket piston-type valve, it can sometimes stick open or closed, but cleaning them usually fixes any issues.

The wastegate actuator is even simpler and I don't think I remember anyone reporting a failure. It's a simple design that uses pressure to actuate a straight rod. If it doesn't move, you'll either get overboost, which you'll immediately know because the car will lurch forward, then buck as the ECU cuts the spark. Or, it will constantly dump boost, meaning you'll be driving a dog. You'd know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts