SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 s60 non-turbo. What compression should I be getting ideally? Cylinders 1, 2, and 5 are at 101psi. Cylinders 3 and 4 are at 90psi. I know I probably have a blown head gasket, but what numbers should I be getting?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Well first anything more than 10% difference pn each cylinder is not good, Also you need to figure out if the top of the cylinder is wet or dry cause some oil can change the compression numbera cause oil seal the piston rings. Dont remember how much is the compression on no turbo models

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if it was wet or dry. I ran the car for 5 or 10 minutes before we did the compression test. About 2 weeks ago my radiator cracked and I had to limp the car to a place where I at least had phone signal. After I replaced the radiator I was getting excessive pressure in the coolant reservoir and I did everything to get air out if there was any trapped. I knew before the compression test that my head gasket was probably bad. I've been looking into how much it will be to replace the head gasket on my own and I've found a few gasket kits in the $100-130 range and head bolts for about $30. I haven't checked my Haynes manual on tools for the job yet, but a friend of mine is going through mechanic school and told me I needed to buy about $300 worth of specialty tools for the job. Will I really need them or will I be fine with common stuff?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
besides a torque wrench, i dont see what specialty tools you would really need...

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Get oem headgasket

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Should be up around 180-200 if I recall correctly, certainly not around 100psi. That's low. More than likely overheated when lost coolant and warped the head.

He's reffering to the cyilnder head removal kit, that allows you to lock and hold the cams in place when removing the head. Also inlcuded a crank lock tool and a cylinder head compressor for reinstalltion. You can find these kits on ebay, search for Volvo cylinder head tool... Yes it's possible to do it without these tools but they will make a huge difference and keeps you from potentially ruining the motor.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I really appreciate the input. So I should buy the head gasket through Volvo and avoid any others? I was thinking since its such a simple part that they would all be made about the same.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Gasket and bolts can be bought through Tasca parts online system:
http://www.tascaparts.com/parts//?siteid=213668

Cylinder head special tools:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-4-5-a..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item19d4e1e9e2&vxp=mtr

If you handy at fabricating things you can make those tools with some steel, drill press and welder otherwise that's the best deal around. Makes the job almost foolproof.

I'd reccomend buying the OEM cam cover gasket material as well, get the pink stuff, not the clear stuff.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got the gaskets and seals in today. How hard would it be to just go ahead and replace the piston rings too? I'll probably start on the project in 4 or 5 days.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
dont agree, you can do it without removing the block, need to remove the oil pan and subframe. But can be done without removing the tranny also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts