SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got around to compression testing the 2013 s60 t5 awd I picked up for cheap due to a misfire on cylinder 4. Turns out that cylinder only has 30 psi so most likely a burnt valve. I plan on pulling the head and rebuilding it. But I also tested the other cylinders and came up with some weird/not so great results:
Cylinder 1: 130
Cylinder 2: 160
Cylinder 3: 160
Cylinder 4: 30 (burnt valve obviously)
Cylinder 5: 95

So obviously 1 and 5 are also in trouble. When you add a little oil the compression goes up a bit in each of those so I'm assuming they're either coked up and stuck rings or worst case just worn rings, but probably not valve related. I poured some seafoam in each cylinder and am letting it sit, after which I'll turn it over and add more and hopefully get better results if it's able to free up those rings if they're actually stuck.

The other thing I noticed is that every spark plug I pulled (excluding the burnt valve cylinder) is like a burnt white color which would indicate the cars obviously been running lean. The car's been dealer maintained it's entire life by a single highly regarded Volvo dealership Lovering Volvo in NH (it even just got timing done 10k ago) so I'm at a loss as why these issues are present. I'm assuming the burnt valve is most likely from running lean for so long but I'm just sorta guessing at this point (maybe it jumped timing slightly and it advanced it causing the lean condition? I'm just guessing at this point. Also for reference the car only has 132k on it.
So yeah I'm hoping to get some insight on what could potentially be up with the car and what I should go/look at from this point moving forward while it's still running before I start tearing it down.
Also thanks to anyone who made it this far and finished reading my novel like post馃槀

Registered
2005 Volvo S60R
So I got around to compression testing the 2013 s60 t5 awd I picked up for cheap due to a misfire on cylinder 4. Turns out that cylinder only has 30 psi so most likely a burnt valve. I plan on pulling the head and rebuilding it. But I also tested the other cylinders and came up with some weird/not so great results:
Cylinder 1: 130
Cylinder 2: 160
Cylinder 3: 160
Cylinder 4: 30 (burnt valve obviously)
Cylinder 5: 95

So obviously 1 and 5 are also in trouble. When you add a little oil the compression goes up a bit in each of those so I'm assuming they're either coked up and stuck rings or worst case just worn rings, but probably not valve related. I poured some seafoam in each cylinder and am letting it sit, after which I'll turn it over and add more and hopefully get better results if it's able to free up those rings if they're actually stuck.

The other thing I noticed is that every spark plug I pulled (excluding the burnt valve cylinder) is like a burnt white color which would indicate the cars obviously been running lean. The car's been dealer maintained it's entire life by a single highly regarded Volvo dealership Lovering Volvo in NH (it even just got timing done 10k ago) so I'm at a loss as why these issues are present. I'm assuming the burnt valve is most likely from running lean for so long but I'm just sorta guessing at this point (maybe it jumped timing slightly and it advanced it causing the lean condition? I'm just guessing at this point. Also for reference the car only has 132k on it.
So yeah I'm hoping to get some insight on what could potentially be up with the car and what I should go/look at from this point moving forward while it's still running before I start tearing it down.
Also thanks to anyone who made it this far and finished reading my novel like post馃槀
Following this post, as I'm getting low PSI readings across the board on my '05 S60R. The dealer doesn't think it's that big of a deal because they are all throwing out similar PSI, but it's resulting in a minor decrease in output - hope you @Skyshadow found a solution or someone on here provides some insight. Thanks in advance!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Following this post, as I'm getting low PSI readings across the board on my '05 S60R. The dealer doesn't think it's that big of a deal because they are all throwing out similar PSI, but it's resulting in a minor decrease in output - hope you @Skyshadow found a solution or someone on here provides some insight. Thanks in advance!
I found a solution to fix mine before I pulled the head to replace the bad valve. What were your compression numbers for each cylinder?

Registered
Cylinder sealing is either ring or valve seal.
The best way to narrow down is by doing a cylinder leakage test.
If there's excess leakage...
Listen with a stethoscope for air escaping in the intake system for burnt intake valves.
Ditto for the exhaust system for exhaust valves.
Ditto in the crankcase for ring seal.

If you have one burnt exhaust valve, that can fool the O2 sensor that the system is rich so ECM responds by leaning the mixture across the board.

If you have one burnt valve there may be others on the edge.
The thing to do is completely refurbish the head as new to protect your time and money invested in the entire project as a whole.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts