SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen.

Was looking for a manual turbo for a while and finally found one, 1999 V70 T5 manual tranny, 200k miles.

Quick question, a buddy of mine was checking out my car because I was having a hesitation issue when accelerating. I found the solution to the problem on a thread. MAP sensor. Changed the MAP sensor and the problem was gone, as well as the check engine light.

While my friend was checking out my car he removed the oil cap while the engine was running and thought that there was a chance that I have a vaccum leak. He owns an M coupe. We went over to his car and when he removed the oil cap on the BMW the engine, unlike mine his instantly reacted to the loss of compression.

I spoke to another friend of mine (a mechanic) about this and he said that the BMW engine and the Volvo engine are very different in that regard. He said tat the Volvo engine does not create as much pressure as the BMW, therefore the Volvo engine will not react in a similar way when the oil cap is removed.

That's my question for the experts here. By the way the check engine light turned itself off after I changed the MAP sensor. Will the check engine light turn on due to a vaccum leak?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
No, it will not turn on due to a vacuum leak.

What are you idling at after the car is warmed up? I believe if you have a vacuum leak of any significance you will idle at 900rpm or so, if not your idle rpm will be closer to 700 or 750.

I've removed my oil cap when my engine was running before and it really didn't do anything, so I wouldn't be worried.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts