SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is that normal in the R? It has no mechanical issues, no burning of oil or coolant. Starts, runs, drives all perfectly fine. I'm guessing that it's normal, or the gauge I was using was incorrect.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Is that normal in the R? It has no mechanical issues, no burning of oil or coolant. Starts, runs, drives all perfectly fine. I'm guessing that it's normal, or the gauge I was using was incorrect.
How many miles on the engine? IIRC, the pressures should be more in the 140+ range, so it could be your gauge setup is reading low given the consistent readings and no noticeable problems.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on the engine? IIRC, the pressures should be more in the 140+ range, so it could be your gauge setup is reading low given the consistent readings and no noticeable problems.
71K, I have a CEL for running too rich at idle. That's it, though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Let's hope that your gauge is f***ed up... The compression test I did on mine gave something like 140-135-150-145-140

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, mine was significantly more consistent than yours at least.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I have found when they're all even, a mistake was done (if the car is running decently).
Do it again

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have found when they're all even, a mistake was done (if the car is running decently).
Do it again
A mistake? How can you mess up a compression test lol I've done it so many times on other cars.

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Compression should be done on a warm engine. If you do it cold, you are going to have low numbers. Get is up to operating temp and then try again. 115 isn't bad and if its across the board, then they are obviously fine. As long as all cylinders are within 10% of each other, it's considered to be GOOD.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Compression should be done on a warm engine. If you do it cold, you are going to have low numbers. Get is up to operating temp and then try again. 115 isn't bad and if its across the board, then they are obviously fine. As long as all cylinders are within 10% of each other, it's considered to be GOOD.
As far as I can tell, the engine is fine. Except I just wasted 150$ on new spark plugs, and a brand new o2 sensor.. Still hasn't fixed the "too rich at idle" issue. Also, the engine was sitting for maybe 30 minutes before we did the compression test.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
As far as I can tell, the engine is fine. Except I just wasted 150$ on new spark plugs, and a brand new o2 sensor.. Still hasn't fixed the "too rich at idle" issue. Also, the engine was sitting for maybe 30 minutes before we did the compression test.
I'll take your sensor, mine's been bad for awhile now, which is what's triggering my CEL right after the state inspection.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll take your sensor, mine's been bad for awhile now, which is what's triggering my CEL right after the state inspection.
How much are you willing to pay for the old one? It's not bad, apparently.. I even put the cover on it, and put it in the box!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts