SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've searched the forum, and while specific differences between model years are discussed in particular threads, I have not found a thread that attempts to document all the cosmetic, mechanical, electrical and other changes that occurred between 2003/2004 and 2007. I currently own a 2004 SR GT and a 2007 SR GT. I was unaware of the differences when I purchased my 04, so I thought highlighting all the differences in one place would be useful to new buyers doing research. Please add anything I've left out, which I'm sure is a lot, and correct me if I've made an error. Apologies if this has been done before. If so, please ignore or mods can delete.

2003/2004 (pros of this MY, since all future changes were supposedly to improve the car):
  • HU-803 sounds better than HU-850
  • Front seats are more comfortable; bolsters are firmer/stiffer
  • Better quality leather used than in later MYs (except for Atacama)

2005+:
  • ECU processor twice as fast (affects throttle response time/improves functionality of 4C system/quicker gear shifting)
  • Exterior mouldings color-match body paint
  • Redesigned rear bumper with air diffuser
  • Improved power steering system
  • Jeweled tail lights

2006+:
  • Redesigned/improved Haldex AWD system
  • Car base is 10mm wider (for some reason, maybe to address side-hop?)
  • 6-speed automatic transmission w/o torque limiter (previous 5-speed automatic transmission was torque limited in 1st and 2nd gears)
  • Plastic charge (over the engine) pipe. (Previous MYs had metal. Not sure if this change was to cut production costs or because the metal pipes were prone to cracking (my 04 with 130k miles has never had an issue).)

2007+:
  • Turn signals incorporated into side view mirrors
  • Additional aluminum interior accents on vents and turn signal and wiper columns

2007.5:
  • Steel front lower control arms (actually not sure if this is an improvement measure (steel LCAs are stronger, but heavier) or an effort to reduce costs (aluminum LCAs are more expensive to make, but lighter, but also bend more easily. Would be curious to hear if anyone who has driven cars with each kind of LCA noticed a difference.)
  • Redesigned valve body to address gear shifting issues in automatics
  • Aux-in jack in center armrest compartment

Not sure when some changes occurred. I know that at some point the upper engine mount changed from a square to circular shape, or vice-versa.

Some things I've read around the site indicate that some changes in later MYs did not actually make the car better. (For example: switching from aluminum to steel LCAs; switching from metal to plastic charge pipe; using lower quality leather (especially Nordkap); seats catching on fire due to faulty seat heaters; worse sound from HU-850; less comfortable front seat design, etc.) I've also heard that the 4C got progressively softer in all settings as the 4C software was revised.

I'm sure there are many things I've omitted, especially mechanical and electrical components. I'd be really curious to hear from the pros about anything I've left out.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Another difference is that 04 and 05+ seats are not interchangeable. The connectors are not the same and AFAIK there's no adapter.

Also, I have never heard of a metal OTE pipe cracking. However, I have heard of a handful of plastic ones crack at the front bolt.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
dang that means i have an 07.5 because i have an aux port :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
In some of the newer MYs there are reverse sensors. I believe they were only offered in 07 but may be incorrect

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bizarre - my 05 has reverse sensors in the bumper. Makes me wonder if it's not the original bumper cover. I'm not sure they work or how to test them.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Bizarre - my 05 has reverse sensors in the bumper. Makes me wonder if it's not the original bumper cover. I'm not sure they work or how to test them.
When you are in reverse the HU displays park assist active.

They were a factory option from 04 IIRC. Also a dealer installed option (looks terrible IMHO, sensors aren't flush)

·
Registered
2007 S60 T5M, 2014 S60 T5 AWD Platinum
108 Posts
You could get rear park assist sensors starting in 2005. If you throw your car in reverse you should get beeping if there is an object in close proximity of your rear bumper. It will beep faster and faster as the object gets closer, and eventually it will become a solid tone if close enough.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Some wrong info here. Seats can be swapped 2004-2005. Its not plug and play, but fairly easy still.
ECU processor speed didnt change. CAN speed doubled and it doesnt affect throttle response, shift speed etc at all.
All automatics are still torque limited in first two gears. -2005 boost was limited to about 10psi. Newer six speeds have boost limited to about 15psi. Volvo says it has torque limit removed and regarding stock! boost they're correct. Once you tune it, it still wont make more torque in first two gears.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Actually, the 5 speed is limited in at least the first three gears, not two.
TQ Limits are 220 in 1st, 220 in 2nd, and 258 in 3rd. Ive also seen some docs that show the peak in gears 3-5 is 258, that it never gets to the 295 of the MX cars.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Actually, the 5 speed is limited in at least the first three gears, not two.
TQ Limits are 220 in 1st, 220 in 2nd, and 258 in 3rd. Ive also seen some docs that show the peak in gears 3-5 is 258, that it never gets to the 295 of the MX cars.

You can log TCM torque reduction request in VIDA parameters. It should apply limit only when 1st or 2nd gear is engaged. As soon as third is selected it will display 511NM which means no limitation. Diagnostic limit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You may have been looking for these:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-in-different-Year-of-Manufacture-R&p=1511146
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?104591

From here:
R Forum Welcome Thread

Regarding 04 seats, the skins are also not interchangeable with 05+ because of the increased seat padding/bolsters/whatever exactly was different in the earlier year.
Thanks, yes, those are the kinds of threads I was looking for. Still, they aren't very well organized or formatted, and a lot of those links are dead now.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Thanks, yes, those are the kinds of threads I was looking for. Still, they aren't very well organized or formatted, and a lot of those links are dead now.
Thanks for the update freakstrike, I'll add to the Repair Index.

·
Registered
911 Posts
You could get rear park assist sensors starting in 2005. If you throw your car in reverse you should get beeping if there is an object in close proximity of your rear bumper. It will beep faster and faster as the object gets closer, and eventually it will become a solid tone if close enough.
This is not true. I have an early-build MY2004 (late-2003) with the rear park assist. This was available as an option from the beginning. The explanation of how it works when it's active is correct.

·
Registered
2007 S60 T5M, 2014 S60 T5 AWD Platinum
108 Posts
This is not true. I have an early-build MY2004 (late-2003) with the rear park assist. This was available as an option from the beginning. The explanation of how it works when it's active is correct.
Interesting, I can't find anything in official Volvo documentation about them until MY 2005 for the Rs. If yours has it, I am willing to accept it was a possibility then.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Interesting, I can't find anything in official Volvo documentation about them until MY 2005 for the Rs. If yours has it, I am willing to accept it was a possibility then.

My MY 2004 has parking sensors too

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts