SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all

My 04VR has reached 105k and I'd like to replace the accessory belt myself. It doesn't appear to be a very tricky job but I am humbled by the combined knowledge of the SS community.

As for parts, FCP Euro has three components, the belt, the tensioner and the idler pulley. Obviously I'll need a new belt, but the other two? Any recommendations for or against?

Products
Idler pulley

Any guides out there?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
944 Posts
Unless pulley bearings make noise or have much play in them, I wouldn't replace them, just the belt.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I finally got my 30mm socket ordered to do my pulley.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Had my Timing Belt kit installed today and the guy working on it said that the "Engine Drive Belt Tensioner Pulley" was being noisy and I should look into ordering it and having it replaced. Do you think he is talking about this part?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
That't the thing that fails causing the timing belt to slip and cause catastrophic engine failure. I can't say I have heard of anyone's belt breaking. You forgot the most important part of the job.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
That't the thing that fails causing the timing belt to slip and cause catastrophic engine failure. I can't say I have heard of anyone's belt breaking. You forgot the most important part of the job.
Thought the timing belt idler pulley and timing belt tensioner are what fails not the accessory drive belt tensioner that causes catastrophic engine failure?

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
ah, no the accessory drive belt won't do that. I read your post as it was for the timing belt.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I finally got my 30mm socket ordered to do my pulley.

Is the pulley necessary? Or is it an underdrive model?

edit: I can just make out the Unorthodox racing logo, so yes, underdrive.

I just placed the order with FCP Euro, belt, tensioner and a new axle bolt got me over $150, so the SPRING15 coupon applied. 3 day shipping and a total of $153.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
So does anyone know if this "Engine Drive Belt Tensioner Pulley" my mechinc is talking about is really the Accessory Drive Belt Tensioner? He deals with older Volvos and BMW/Mercs. I just don't wanna end up ordering the wrong part :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not a mechanic but when I hear "Engine Drive Belt Tensioner Pulley" I think timing belt, not accessory belt.

You said your mechanic installed a Timing Belt kit - did that kit include the timing belt tensioner? It would be hilariously sad if it didn't.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I'm not a mechanic but when I hear "Engine Drive Belt Tensioner Pulley" I think timing belt, not accessory belt.

You said your mechanic installed a Timing Belt kit - did that kit include the timing belt tensioner? It would be hilariously sad if it didn't.
I checked it out and it came with everything needed. I ordered the full kit from iPD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts