SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

UPDATE: New message did display showing "crash mode." Car didn't completely shut off which is why I think the message actually displayed this time. Original Post: I got a 2005 S40 FWD. Has about 74K on it and has been acting up lately. Problem is very intermittent. Has happened about 4 times in the past 2 months. Basically what is happening is when I am coming to a slow roll ie. turning into my alley or a parking spot, my car will completely shut off. No power to anything, not even the dome lights. Usually I can just shift into neutral and restart the car just fine however one time I did have to push on the brakes for the power to come back on. To me this sounds very electrical in nature. Something to do with it may be the aftermarket amp I have for my subs. Currently I have it wired up main power to battery and remote is connected to the green remote for the stock amp also in the trunk. All connections are tight and good ground. I had the aftermarket amp for almost a year without issue so I'm not entirely convinced the two have anything to do with each other but disclaiming it none the less. I haven't had this issue at anything above 10 mph. I was thinking maybe transmission but it doesn't surge or hesitate at all. Just shuts down. No warning lights on the dash also. If temp means much it seemed to start happening at the onset of the cold snap. Haven't had the issue (yet) above freezing. Any advice on where to look would be great, Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Almost definitely a bad ground or an internally defective battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New update, problem happened again today same circumstances however car didn't fully shut off and a message did in fact display. "Crash Mode" See service manual for details. Sounds like I'll be making a trip to the dealership to get this one fixed.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Ouch. Crash mode is something the dealer will need to reset, even if you could fix the root cause of the glitches.

Consider towing it in. In crash mode, most of the safety systems are degraded, and of course there's always the chance it will die in traffic like the other times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Haven't scheduled anything with the dealer yet, not sure if my warranty is still valid plus it's 50 miles away. But I think i'm getting closer to nailing the issue. So the car did go in to crash mode but upon restart always resets back to normal mode so it seems more like a hiccup with a sensor or secondary to another issue. Upon leaving the gas station tonight backing out of the parking spot I pressed on the brakes and came to a stop before shifting into drive. As the car shifted into drive it hesitated (seemed like a hard shift or came very close to completely dying) but resumed normal operation (no warning on dash) I then proceeded to drive home which is 2 minutes away, stopping at lights and making turns without issue. Once I got home i pulled into my alley. While driving down my alley I have my foot slightly riding the brake due to pot holes. I noticed my headlights lights would flicker some so experimenting with it I slowed down even more to almost a dead crawl and then my car completely shut off again. I would also note that the car does not idle rough in neutral or drive during normal operation.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
These are strong indications of a bad ground connection, which becomes intermittent with force. There are many of them near the battery, and between the engine and frame. Try idling the car and yank on every black wire (ground) you can see.

Again, don't overlook a bad battery. A loose plate can short internally with movement, and go back to perfect without.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I gotta say I feel like an idiot for not checking this sooner. It was most likely my positive battery terminal. My car comes with the T style bolt terminal (pic in link). It has a washer that I believe is supposed to go on top between the nut and terminal and not at the bottom of the bolt like mine was. I'm not sure if this was my screw up or the dealerships but this was causing the T-bolt to not clamp the terminal shut completely so it was loose enough to pull completely off.

After fixing it I did take it out for a cruise and it didn't act up at all. It's been in the 50's today so I'll check again later this week when it drops back down. I also took it to advanced auto to have them run some tests. Battery tested good @12.69v, starter good @11.54v & 43.9 amps, charging good no load 14.86v & 5.5 amps, loaded 14.79v & 8.4 amps. drain tests did show 2.58 amps but I think it was because my dome lights were still on and keys in the ignition off position when he ran that test. Not sure if Volvo's have anything that runs for a short while after the car it shut off. Stereo was off and auto headlights in the 0 position. Whatever it is doesn't seem to affect my battery as my car will still start fine sitting in cold weather for a while.

http://s53.radikal.ru/i141/1102/46/3472dfd7eaa4.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Yep, that'll do it. The washer definitely goes on top, under the nut. If you put it below the tee, then the tee won't engage the clamp ears to pull it tight.

I assume you checked the ground post too. Generally, unplug that one first, and connect it last. Connecting the positive causes the system to energize in an unstable fashion, and the book recommends the other way.

Statically testing the battery is an ok quick check, but it's not very conclusive. It won't find loose connections and intermittent broken cells. If you're confident the car is behaving normally, just drive it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This just happened to me for the first time (2005 S40 T5 AWD 6-speed manual). Stalled in traffic and little to no power to even turn hazard lights on. CRASH MODE stayed displayed but when I tried cranking the engine I'd get a momentary NORMAL MODE displayed. After several cranking attempts over about 5 minutes, it started and I made it home.

I'll provide an update on what I find (hopefully it's the battery cable like the OP's).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out! When my oem battery and negative cable gave up the ghost I had a similar issue develop. Once the battery/cable was replaced the issue never came back again!
These newer Volvo's seem to display some odd symptoms when the battery gets low or there is a poor battery connection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts