SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started like this. Front right control arm bushings were worn out (at 56K mi). It was easier to replace the control arm than the bushings. In the process, the axle half shaft was broken at the CV joint, which was not detected until the car was road tested (and then very quickly). After about 20 feet of attempting to drive, the car would not move, and the message window indicated a traction control problem.

After pushing it back into the shop and replacing the half shaft, further road testing revealed the car had become FWD only (the AOC clutch was never engaging). A code was present for the AOC control module, which was replaced (for $2600).

After replacing the control module, with no codes present, the AOC clutch is now fully engaged all the time. Tight turns, such as into or out of a parking spot, with all 4 wheels turning at the same speed, makes for a very uncomfortable experience.

The entire AOC at wholesale prices will be $4600. I found a used one with 25k mi for $1100. Why did I let you talk me out of the extended warranty?

·
Registered
17,007 Posts
why not just drop it and go FWD ?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Re: (bri2k1)

pulling the handbrake or the fuse doesn't work? Sounds like whoever installed a new DEM screwed something up.

You said the dealer installed the new DEM? if so, go back and bitch...you paid money to have it fixed, so now it should be their problem to figure out, not yours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The DEM is functioning fine. It's a mechanical failure of the clutch system. What is there to bitch about? They would have put a new DEM in the rebuilt AOC anyway, so it's not like I'm paying for it twice. There is a TNN about the DEM causing the behavior I experienced, but it appears in my case that is not the cause.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the car in my profile, an 04. I hadn't heard of such a spring, and I'm not sure if it would have been removed as part of the DEM R&R. Any other info would be appreciated; I'll try to check on VIDA when I'm back at the shop next week.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Re: (bri2k1)

Quote, originally posted by bri2k1 »
The DEM is functioning fine. It's a mechanical failure of the clutch system.

I find that very unlikely since you mentioned previously your car was in FWD mode only, and now it's fully locked all the time? The DEM simply controls the solenoid, which controls the valve, which regulates the oil pressure to engage/disengage the clutches. Something is causing the valve to be fully open...either faulty solenoid, or DEM, or who knows what.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (rushin_max)

Quote, originally posted by bri2k1 »

A code was present for the AOC control module, which was replaced

Sorry it wasn't clear from that. There are no codes present now, which is why I assert that the new one is working.

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Re: (garbergtsi)

Quote, originally posted by garbergtsi »
What year is this? I know on the newer systems you can put a spring in backwards (dont remember exactly right now) and make the haldex lock 100% of the time.

Where do some of you come up with this BULL S**T?

***WRONG*********

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Codes dont mean much...
It was 2005 where they started what I was talking about, and its on the opposite side of where the DEM sits....so nevermind.
I would try disconnecting the DEM and oil pump -- if the AWD is still activated, the AOC would be the problem. I have seen this once on an 04 R

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
oh snap!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.