SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Just make sure it's green and not orange, I used the most expensive coolant at the auto store to be safe.
I use the orange one.. Dex cool. So Do a lot of other members.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Why? Dex cool isn't really better in fact it has some short comings as mentioned here and here
when I put mine in I didn't have all this info a couple of years back... At the time all I knew was they said phosphate free was what we needed. But I haven't had any issues yet.. fingers crossed. But I plan on switching to volvo at 100k anyway.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
"Propylene glycol can be mixed with ethylene glycol without causing harm to the cooling system, but it does slightly weaken the heat transfer."
"Extended Life (OAT) antifreeze is NOT compatible with conventional (IAT) antifreeze. Aside from discoloration of antifreeze when the two are mix
ed together, a chemical reaction is caused when the carboxylate salts are mixed with the inorganic salts and caustics found in conventional antifreeze. If they are mixed, the antifreeze can become cloudy, precipitation can generate and the coolant will lose it’s extended life properties."

from http://www.eco-freez.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=118&Itemid=134

·
Registered
557 Posts
^ +1 from Burg...

That't a fair question from the OP.
There are 3 (or so) types of ethylene based glycol coolants:

1. Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT)
2. Organic Acid Technology (OAT)
3. Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT)

Best not to frig around and mix them.
Flush and refill if you don't know what you've got in there.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
volvo or zerex g05 seems to be a general understanding from the limited reading i have done..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts