SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my 300K+ '98 V70T5 was written off this summer I was forced to look for a new ride. I had fond memories of the power and handling of the T5, and unfortunately was unable to find a 2.5T that was in good enough shape, so I bought an '08 XC3.2 with 45,000K on it. Clean, ran like a top, but felt like a bus. Power but no pickup (torque), good steering, but not super responsive. Much sighing was done at home. This week up comes an '06 XC70 2.5T with only 68,000K in beauty shape, cleared my mechanic well. After a thorough day long and evening test drive I found the pickup of the 2.5T to be awesome, with nimble handling. Good interior, not overly plush. Unfortunately along came the old issues of road noise and even with the 4-C Chassis set to 'Comfort', did feel the bumps and jars in the road quite clearly. The engine had the apparently usual growl of a 2.5T (my old T5 was actually quite quiet until it became elderly). Then I took it back to the dealership and drove home in the XC 3.2. Definitely quieter, road noise down by 90%, and imperfections in the road were felt, but substantially dampened by a good 60% (in Advanced mode). Cushier interior, even better padded seating than the 2.5T. Steering was still a bit less responsive than the 2.5T, and there was no instant pickup unless you were in just the right rev. spot with the engine, but there was enough power to get around in the city, although on long climbs uphill you do need to keep steady pressure on the gas pedal and urge it on. Conclusion - I am keeping the 3.2, and unfortunately, there are no 3.2 T6's available used up here that I could gravitate to. If I could marry the 2 aspects, ... torque and handling with the more sheltered ride and revamped seating of the '08 and it's associated perks, it would be a perfect car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Test drove an 08 XC70 3.2 couple weeks ago. Coming from an 850R I just couldn't imagine life without the turbo. It is a very nice wagon but just didn't have the power I was looking for. Picking up an 06 V70R tomorrow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Coming from 4 Saab's in a row (all turbo) to a 3.2, one does miss the low end torque, but I do like the smoothness. I love my V70 and the motor I want is not the T6 but the diesel from Europe. Torque AND mpg!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Good thing that the D5 is offered in the XC70 here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Leased a 2008 3.2
Spent time with a 2005 v8
Own a 2006 2.5t

Around town and on the freeway, the 2.5t is the clear winner. Superior low end torque and gas mileage. Great car.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Leased a 2008 3.2
Spent time with a 2005 v8
Own a 2006 2.5t

Around town and on the freeway, the 2.5t is the clear winner. Superior low end torque and gas mileage. Great car.
As well as that off beat engine throbs. Just sound more sportier and nicer than the smooth 3.2.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As well as that off beat engine throbs. Just sound more sportier and nicer than the smooth 3.2.
The 3.2 is very smooth, thanks to the I6 design. No wonder why BMW stuck with it for so long.

It just doesn't make the low end grunt the 2.5 does.

This past weekend I took a trip to the mountains. The LPT *loves* climing! Just a little whistle and it zoomed up high passes. Coming from a 500hp SVT Mustang, I'm no stranger to power. But this is my first Turbo car, and it's really cool!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Interesting thread guys.

I previously owned a 5-cylinder 850 turbo, a 2004 XC90 5-cylinder turbo, and now drive a 2005 XC70 5-cylinder turbo, so you can tell I like em a lot. Even in the heavy XC90 the 2.5 was able to move the car from a standstill with some impressive low end torque. Now we also have a 3.2 XC90 and another member of the family got a 3.2 V70.

Our perception of the 3.2 is as stated previously, very smooth, with power but not in the low rpm range like the 2.5.

The 2.5 XC90 and 3.2 XC90 are two different characters by virtue of the engine, the 2.5 was more of scrappy bruiser, and the 3.2 is more of a luxo-cruiser. My wife drives the 3.2 and she says it is superior, and I am not totally clear why, but she likes it much better.

My XC70 is a joy to drive and I love the torque, and use it all the time. However, if I had a XC70 with a 3.2 I am sure I would be living in the higher rpm band where the power is for that motor, and would probably love it too. I have noticed the great sound of the 3.2 when it starts to howl, and I think it would be pretty nice with a sports exhaust system.

cheers, best,

P

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great info on the 2.5. Yes, the 3.2 feels a bit little weak on the low end because the tranny is always shifting up into a tall gear, presumably for better mpg. But as you mention, the sounds it makes under full throttle are sublime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts