SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have a 2010 XC90 (7 seater) with the basic sound system (Hi-Performance I think). The system with the door speakers and smaller speakers in the rear cargo pillars. For the past few weeks I been wondering how I could improve the current sound system with a bit more bass. I'm not interested in having a lot of base that drowns out the factory mids and high, but rather more like what the factory subwoofer puts out. In other words, something to compliment the existing system.

Also, given that we regular use the XC90 to haul a lot of people and pets, I don't have the option of having a large subwoofer enclosure laying in the cargo area. Plus, wifey would not like it.

I also don't want to spend over $1000 to install the factory subwoofer, wiring (and programing). Just not worth it in my opinion. Also, I don't feel like tearing up the interior to install it, as I intend this to be a DIY project.

So I was thinking about utilizing the space underneath the rear cargo lid where the battery is. It's not big, but I think it may be just enough.

I was thinking about installing one (1) 8" free-air (or shallow) subwoofers to the bottom part of the left right side of the rear cargo lid. The bottom part of the cargo lid is made of hard plastic, so it's plenty strong. Also, when the straps and eyelets are connected, the cargo lid is pretty secure.

As for the amp, it would have to be small, and installed to the left of the battery.

I would also need a line output converter to tap the rear cargo speakers, so that I can feed the amp with RCA's?

As for the power wire for the amp, I'm sure that there is a 12v switched source in the fuse panel located in the rear. I think it would be easily enough to tap into a source there.

Also, to releave some of the stress on the factory door speakers, i was thinking about installing bass blockers on them.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether this is at all possible?

Also, I'd love to see some pics about some non-factory stealth installs. After searching the site, I haven't been able to find any.

Lefty

·
Registered
950 Posts
If you have rear A/C then you can't install the factory sub anyway, at least where Volvo intends it to be.

Before spending money on equipment try this:

Turn the surround sound off, play CD's in stereo.
Pull down the 60hz band on the front EQ just a little.
Leave only the 60hz band at normal level on the rear EQ, pull down everything else.
This will give you a decent front stage with some RBE (rear bass enhancement), as Sony calls it.
If you want to spend some money, do some sound deadening on the doors to kill any unwanted resonances.

If that still doesn't get it, Arc Audio makes a very good 500 watt sub amp, the KS500.1m, that can take a high level input. The Alpine type R is a great sub that can do IB. Check out DIYMA.com, lots of information and opinions.

·
Registered
953 Posts
look up pattyweb install, its somewhere here but I cannot find it

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the responses that far. My XC90 does not have a rear climate control, nor surround sound ( I think).

I'll try the sound staging feature first, but fear that it may not be enough.

I also found the posting that Pattyweb had... OMGF BRILLIANT. Although I like what he did, I just don't have the guts (or time) to do that fibreglass project.

Has anyone seek speakers installed on the rear cargo lid?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Do you mean the removable two part rear floor just above the battery?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Be kinda tough to seal that lower area from the cabin. I think a true IB install just isn't gunna work without a ton of work. It would be easier to do a small sub and box that could be removed occasionally. Take a look at the American Sound Connection PS-MB18V, http://www.americansoundconnection.com/premium/megabass/PS-MB1X8V.html. Pair that with the Morel 8" Primo, http://www.morelhifi.com/car-audio/primo. This combo will out play a 12" sealed any day. The Alpine SBR-S83V box/sub combo is pretty nice as well. Might even consider a Kicker Hideaway http://www.kicker.com/Hideaway under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
pioneer PRS-D800 amp is a little power house. install it under the slide out third row seats. when the third row seats are pulled out it will be above the amp. pushed back in the amp will be exposed but the third row seat back will go on top of the amp.

get a thin pioneer sub and enclosure, pionner UD-SW100d, grab signal from the rear door speakers and run it into the amp. done

·
Registered
950 Posts
pioneer PRS-D800 amp is a little power house. install it under the slide out third row seats. when the third row seats are pulled out it will be above the amp. pushed back in the amp will be exposed but the third row seat back will go on top of the amp.

get a thin pioneer sub and enclosure, pionner UD-SW100d, grab signal from the rear door speakers and run it into the amp. done
Hold the boat, the PRS-D800 is indeed a great amp (see signature) but it won't do speaker level input and is filter-less so isn't a good choice for sub work, in this instance. Your going to need an AudioControl LC2i to pull the rear speaker level down to preamp level and to provide a pair of bass only channels, if you want to use the PRS.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
We can so all that via loc and rear door speakers are low level. Plus you can just add passive filters on it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
564 Posts
If I remember correctly, the factory sub can't be installed in any seven-seater model: it goes where the third-row seatbelt reel is!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really like the idea of the underseat (slim profile) active subwoofers. In addition to the Kicker Hideaway, there a unit from Sound Ordnance, Pyle, Boss and Clarion.

I think this will be the route that I go.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
a few weeks ago i was looking for a small sub to put in the Z3-M in place of thedry rotted piece of turd HK it came with. I ended up with a 6.5" kicker in the factory box, but came awful close to a crutchfield private label sub. it is self contained•dimensions: 9-1/8"W x 3-1/4"H x 13-7/8"D, with its own power supply that you run directly to the battery. check it out, it may be the solution you are looking for. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PT.html?tp=114 i wonder if it will fit in the area where the jack is?

·
Registered
950 Posts
a few weeks ago i was looking for a small sub to put in the Z3-M in place of thedry rotted piece of turd HK it came with. I ended up with a 6.5" kicker in the factory box, but came awful close to a crutchfield private label sub. it is self contained•dimensions: 9-1/8"W x 3-1/4"H x 13-7/8"D, with its own power supply that you run directly to the battery. check it out, it may be the solution you are looking for. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PT.html?tp=114 i wonder if it will fit in the area where the jack is?
Thats the Sound Ordnance mentioned above.

As to the Harmon Kardon dry rot, check out Bavarian Soundwerks and Jehnert.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Thats the Sound Ordnance mentioned above.

As to the Harmon Kardon dry rot, check out Bavarian Soundwerks and Jehnert.
yeah, didnt remember the crutchfield label's name until i posted the link.
bavarian soundwerks was just too expensive. it would have topped 500 for the speakers and a sub. i bought polks. the system in my M roadster is 4 ohm which made things easy. crutchfield recommended 4" polks for the rear at $90 and the fronts were like 180. polk had the same fronts "reconditioned" on ebay for 99. i was able to do all but the doors (which were still OK) for under 250. considering it is a convertible and sound will always be competing with the tires of the suv next to me.....

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The Rockford Fosgate PBR300XI amp described in this thread would suit the bill:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ofer-Project-A-Premium-Journey-to-the-Low-End

It is designed for subwoofers. Suns the input signals to give mono. Accepts
low or high level input and has gain control to match to the rest of the system.
It is very compact. I have one in my S60 and it works very well driving two
6.5 inch 4 ohm (wired parallel for a 2 ohm load).

If you tap off a speaker input you might need to make sure the speaker gets the
full bass signal. So don't tap after the crossover. Better to run the input leads to the
amplifier and tap of the signals to the front door speakers.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I also found the posting that Pattyweb had... OMGF BRILLIANT. Although I like what he did, I just don't have the guts (or time) to do that fibreglass project.
Thanks for the kind words.

I recently sold the XC90 and completely removed the stereo. The fiberglass enclosure is sitting in the garage. If anyone is interested, make me a private offer. No sub included, it's been retasked for another project. The hole is cutout for a 10", but not just any 10" will fit due to mounting depth. The volume was about .6ft3 I think. But since then, alpine and pioneer have come up with some shallow mount subs. Also, you could always mount a new ring and mount an 8".

I considered mounting the sub under the rear deck, but just figured it would be too hard to both seal that area and get the speaker or a port open to the car. I've never seen anybody mount them their anyways.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Pattyweb, I'm interested in the xc90 custom fibre glass sub enclosure. How much do you intend to sell it? I think I like it. I have a volvo xc90 as well. Let me know if you still have it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi to everyone. I would like to know what you guys think about the following shallow subwoofer and Amp comb..

1.Earthquake Sound SWS-10X (SWS10X) 10" Shallow Mount System Subwoofer.
2. Audiobahn A4002J 500W 2-Channel Intake Series Car Amplifier ( http://www.amazon.com/Audiobahn-A4002J-2-Channel-Intake-Amplifier/dp/B004L6GGYS/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t )

3. Can I fit center dash speaker # 8633111 (frm 2003-06 xc90) serve as a direct replacement for # 30752350 (fit 2007- xc90 dash speaker).

I know there are lot of threads about xc90 installation but I've read a lot stuffs. My brain is blowing up..lol..Just kidding..lol..

I'm currently in the process of buying an OEM xc90 subwoofer from a guy on ebay. But I have 3rd row seat with rear AC on my 2007 xc90. I read the volvo installation manual for the oem sub and it seems am gonna have to loose my 3rd AC unit. According to the install note on volvo install sheet, I would need to remove the power fuse for the AC and put in the OEM subwoofer connector for power. So I'm thinking of just buying aftermarket product and DIY with you guys help.

I just bought the 4X75 oem amp on ebay. This is going to be for my current high performance sound upgrade to premium sound. Based on lot of you guys upgrade ideas.

Any suggestion would be nice. But I can only fit a 10inch subwoofer into an already made custom xc90 sub box in the xc90 rear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts