SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My family has been enjoying the V60 for almost 2 years now as newly purchased first batch beauty, however the warranty is expiring on it (it's a thing in EU...) and so far, knock on wood, everything has been fine in terms of the car's reliability. I'm looking to see if I can make a list of things I can have my dealer have a look at for common problems with the model so I can have him replace things under warranty still. Especially since the recent message about the beginning XC90 being the most unreliable SUV on the market worries me a bit with many Volvo fans being skeptic about the SPA models being "chinese" and of poor quality. Things I've found so far on the internet are:

• Rear brake discs getting punished by using the semi-autonomous driving and only have a lifespan of about 50k KM (+/- 31k miles) - To be confiremd
  • Front shock dampers/absorbers getting punished by weight of car and needs early replacement (not sure of this one as I've seen mixed messages) - To be confirmed
  • So far all other items mentioned in this topic sound like manufacturing faults and do not show a common problem/issue with the V60 SPA.
List updated last on: 19-Oct-2020.

I would like to know your experiences with the V60 and like to determine some common problems/issues with this awesome car.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
72 Posts
22K on my V60cc. Took a cross country road trip which put on 16K miles. So far the only issues I've experienced is a check engine light at 84 miles (bad sensor) and a fuel pump failure at 8K. Having some glitches with AppleCar play. Phone doesn't always connect if left plugged in and the engine is turned off and then on again. I had the USB port replaced - too loose - but the problem intermittently persists. No issues with the brakes and rotors...yet, and no issues with the front suspension.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hi,

My family has been enjoying the V60 for almost 2 years now as newly purchased first batch beauty, however the warranty is expiring on it (it's a thing in EU...) and so far, knock on wood, everything has been fine in terms of the car's reliability. I'm looking to see if I can make a list of things I can have my dealer have a look at for common problems with the model so I can have him replace things under warranty still. Especially since the recent message about the beginning XC90 being the most unreliable SUV on the market worries me a bit with many Volvo fans being skeptic about the SPA models being "chinese" and of poor quality. Things I've found so far on the internet are:

• Rear brake discs getting punished by using the semi-autonomous driving and only have a lifespan of about 50k KM (+/- 31k miles)
  • Front shock dampers/absorbers getting punished by weight of car and needs early replacement (not sure of this one as I've seen mixed messages)
I would like to know your experiences with the V60 and like to determine some common problems/issues with this awesome car.

Thanks all!
very interested as to where you getting this from on the two above... especially the rear discs nonsense about ??

only issues documented on this forum and with owners are

-vibration when braking - new pads and rotors sometimes just the rotors replaced by dealership
- fuel pump fuse blown- replacing the fuse fixed the issues
- sun roof not opening- recalibrated the system by Volvo

also calling all owners what is your miles on the car ????

People claim they know abut 31K+ miles issues and i don't know who has a car with that mileage not to mention any issues as stated above.

I have 25k miles and i think i have the most on the new platform and only had two items that needed to be adressed

- new rotors
- new right actuator for hatch

·
Registered
179 Posts
I got a high pressure purge valve replaced when I got an emission warning.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
as I and multiple others have said, pilot assist leans heavily on the rear brakes more than the fronts and wears them faster. It's not nonsense.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
as I and multiple others have said, pilot assist leans heavily on the rear brakes more than the fronts and wears them faster. It's not nonsense.
it is nonsense and people repeating what you say on this page don't make it true.

Show me please one document from Volvo that as you stated "pilot assist leans heavily on the rear brakes more than the fronts"

The brakes are applied evenly just like you would.

·
Registered
442 Posts
very interested as to where you getting this from on the two above... especially the rear discs nonsense about ??

only issues documented on this forum and with owners are

-vibration when braking - new pads and rotors sometimes just the rotors replaced by dealership
- fuel pump fuse blown- replacing the fuse fixed the issues
- sun roof not opening- recalibrated the system by Volvo

also calling all owners what is your miles on the car ????

People claim they know abut 31K+ miles issues and i don't know who has a car with that mileage not to mention any issues as stated above.

I have 25k miles and i think i have the most on the new platform and only had two items that needed to be adressed

- new rotors
- new right actuator for hatch
Back in the day, I used to put upwards of 24,000 mile on my car a year. It is easy to do if you drive 70 miles round trip to work every day. With COVID, the mileage has become almost nonexistent since we are all working from home.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Back in the day, I used to put upwards of 24,000 mile on my car a year. It is easy to do if you drive 70 miles round trip to work every day. With COVID, the mileage has become almost nonexistent since we are all working from home.
Everything is possible let me ask again how many people on this forum hit 30k on a 2019< car?

Who has replaced the rears not because the vibration issue but because worn out?

People make ridiculous claims and seem to state that it’s a “common issue” and it’s “documented” yet there is no documentation and nobody is talking about it.

Can we please stop with this he said she said BS about how long rear brakes last until we have some data that could actually project estimated lifespan. Same with front suspension never heard of this issue did anyone? Do we have anyone on this forum that needed to replace front suspension?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
it is nonsense and people repeating what you say on this page don't make it true.

Show me please one document from Volvo that as you stated "pilot assist leans heavily on the rear brakes more than the fronts"

The brakes are applied evenly just like you would.
go ask any f'ing mechanic at a volvo dealership and they'll happily tell you. IT IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE

·
Registered
245 Posts
Why not conduct a quick and dirty test? Use pilot assist and encourage it to speed up and slow down for a few minutes, then pull over and measure the temperature of the front and rotors. If the fronts are pretty cool but the rears are hot, then you know.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
go ask any f'ing mechanic at a volvo dealership and they'll happily tell you. IT IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE
Continue to say something is common knowledge doesn’t make it so.

Never heard from any credible source, technician, or even sales.

Traction control and stability control uses brakes at specific axle for cornering and traction never heard that Cruise control primarily uses rear brakes.

As I said show me one document from any manufacturer that shows your claims.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Why not conduct a quick and dirty test? Use pilot assist and encourage it to speed up and slow down for a few minutes, then pull over and measure the temperature of the front and rotors. If the fronts are pretty cool but the rears are hot, then you know.
You would have to run the car in auto and then run the car same way with same ambient temperature, conditions, and everything twice.

Just using auto and not compering to standard operation won’t tell you anything as bigger size of the front rotors and more cooling could show that rear are slightly hotter regardless of driving. Not to mention hotter is not necessarily comparable to more braking
performed again as different size and different location.

The moment we have any person on this entire form saying that they gonna have to replace the rear brakes at 30k when the front brakes are perfectly good in normal driving conditions would be one way to show that there’s any truth to that . Other than of course providing a document from Volvo or a mechanical information regarding the system design

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would like to add that I use Pilot Assist / ACC a lot, and when I went to my dealer, all 4 pads and rotors were replaced. I was not experiencing vibrations. Only squealing at low speeds. I am only concerned because this car has 9k miles - why am I already replacing brakes when I can usually get 3-5yrs out of a set.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just using auto and not compering to standard operation won’t tell you anything as bigger size of the front rotors and more cooling could show that rear are slightly hotter regardless of driving. Not to mention hotter is not necessarily comparable to more braking
performed again as different size and different location.
That's why I said to check if the fronts are cool and rears are hot. Short of some crazy liquid-cooled front brake calipers, if they are cool while the rears are too hot to comfortable touch for more than a second, then that's pretty strong evidence that the fronts aren't doing much at all. Brakes take quite a while to cool down enough to touch after being used even a few times, so if the fronts are cool then there's no way they were being used much at all.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wouldn't rear biased braking be unsafe? I mean, there's a reason why basically ALL factory brake systems are front biased (front wheels getting more grip as weight shifts forward under braking).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wouldn't rear biased braking be unsafe? I mean, there's a reason why basically ALL factory brake systems are front biased (front wheels getting more grip as weight shifts forward under braking).
I think the claim is that the rears are used to keep the speed even, rather than for hard braking. The only reason I can imagine they'd want to do that is maybe it's easier to modulate the rear brakes. And that's totally speculative. I too can't think of any other reason why they'd use the rears more than the fronts. Maybe because it's smoother when you come to a stop so it's not a big jolt? I know that on my motorcycles, coming to a stop using the rear brake at the end is much smoother than using the front.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the cause of increased wear on the rear brakes from use of PA was because PA actually uses the rear brakes to make minor adjustments to the cars direction and to aid with lane centering. I have nothing to point to to back this up, but that was my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
It will be interesting to see if excessive rear brake wear is an issue on this car like it is on the other SPA platform vehicles. I don't know that there are enough data points to know, like there are on the XC60/XC90.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts