SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Volvo S60 T5 Premier FWD
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a couple of faults start happening in my 2014 S60 T5, just wondering if it is normal to see the rear trunk latch cover thing break off and also to see the headlights start hazing severely after only 42k miles
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Grille Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Grille Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

the white stuff is just glue residue from me trying to glue the cover back on

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
think every s60 I have test driven had a broken trunk latch flap thing… I replaced it on my ‘11, simple DIY, cheap part (31305446)… haven’t gotten around to it yet on my ‘17…

·
Registered
197 Posts
think every s60 I have test driven had a broken trunk latch flap thing… I replaced it on my '11, simple DIY, cheap part (31305446)… haven't gotten around to it yet on my '17…
I was wondering what the P/N for this was! Have to replace mine as well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My headlights looked pretty crappy at 42,000.miles. They definitely would benefit from headlight protectors from the factory. I used the 3M restoration kit on mine and it worked pretty well, however hazing and yellowing is coming back already on the top edge of both headlights at 49,000 miles. It's not awful, but disappointing.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
My 9 year old headlights have not had any hazing or yellowing and the car sits outside 24/7, but generally it is partly shaded on my street, so the lens isn't exposed directly to direct sunlight for hours a day (photo-oxidation reactions are the source of the degradation of these lenses).

@thebobwiley After you've "cleaned" off any hazing (eg. sanding it off), you're now left with polycarbonate surface which has had its UV inhibitors removed. The lens will degrade readily after this. You either need to coat with a UV clearcoat or a lens protector film to keep oxygen from entering.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
think every s60 I have test driven had a broken trunk latch flap thing… I replaced it on my '11, simple DIY, cheap part (31305446)… haven't gotten around to it yet on my '17…
LOL. I've had my car for four years now and I've never known that there was a missing flap there. Well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My 9 year old headlights have not had any hazing or yellowing and the car sits outside 24/7, but generally it is partly shaded on my street, so the lens isn't exposed directly to direct sunlight for hours a day (photo-oxidation reactions are the source of the degradation of these lenses).

@thebobwiley After you've "cleaned" off any hazing (eg. sanding it off), you're now left with polycarbonate surface which has had it's UV inhibitors removed. The lens will degrade readily after this. You either need to coat with a UV clearcoat or a lens protector film to keep oxygen from
Ah, right. I completely forgot about this after I removed the Laminx headlight protectors after they didn't work. I'll need to get some ASAP, maybe even re-restore them again first.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My headlights started to haze, so I took them to a shop to be professionally buffed and then covered with XPel. So far they have held up pretty well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
had a couple of faults start happening in my 2014 S60 T5, just wondering if it is normal to see the rear trunk latch cover thing break off and also to see the headlights start hazing severely after only 42k miles
Mileage is mostly irrelevant to headlight hazing. It is mostly exposure that causes hazing (UV light, extreme temperatures, road salt, etc.) Mileage (especially highway mileage) really only contributes to chips and pitting due to road debris.

To be fair, 42k miles on a 2014 car is very low. That's less than half the national average. My wife's 2013 Honda Accord with over 140k miles has a similar amount of headlight hazing. It is not a Volvo specific thing, it is common across all headlights with plastic lenses.

Of course it does depend somewhat on design. Notice how the worst of your lens hazing is on the top surfaces that are more horizontal? That is because that surface is exposed to more direct sunlight throughout the day. You see the same thing with paint fade on older vehicles. It's always the hood, roof, and trunk lid that fade first, never the doors.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Mileage is mostly irrelevant to headlight hazing. It is mostly exposure that causes hazing (UV light, extreme temperatures, road salt, etc.) Mileage (especially highway mileage) really only contributes to chips and pitting due to road debris.
Yup, my V60 has 91k on it and I am not sure if it was previously garaged or not (bought at 72k), I'm guessing it was not coupled with the salt use in PA causing the hazing. My previous car I bought at 36k and kept it until almost 200k, garaged the entire time I had it and virtually no hazing whatsoever on the lights.

Just remember a common problem, keyless door lock/unlock, water gets into the connectors causing corrosion and then them not to work. Pretty quick fix though to pop the door handles off and clean the contacts, but it's not a permanent fix.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I know it's not useful to the OP at this point, but for other people reading this that don't have hazing on their headlights yet, a lot of people seem to swear by this stuff. It's cheap insurance, and since our headlights pop out so easily, it's a really quick preventative step to do once a year or so. I use it and haven't seen much hazing even though I park my car outside.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I know it's not useful to the OP at this point, but for other people reading this that don't have hazing on their headlights yet, a lot of people seem to swear by this stuff. It's cheap insurance, and since our headlights pop out so easily, it's a really quick preventative step to do once a year or so. I use it and haven't seen much hazing even though I park my car outside.
Guess I'm trying this one over the Cerakote kit at only $6!

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 S60 FWD
40 Posts
Like p.rico, I never even noticed this on my '14, just ran out to check and it's broken and sitting in the little well! Checked on my SO's '16 and it's not broken on that one. Also took a look at both sets of headlights, both cars sit outside all the time and neither one seems to have any hazing, my '14 has some fairly minor pitting, but that's it. Just shy of 70K on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
had a couple of faults start happening in my 2014 S60 T5, just wondering if it is normal to see the rear trunk latch cover thing break off and also to see the headlights start hazing severely after only 42k miles View attachment 134859 View attachment 134860
the white stuff is just glue residue from me trying to glue the cover back on
i have the same car but with 89k miles and i can vouch its all pretty common for this car! however the headlights don't seem to get much worse at all, it's really only the top of them that does that, very strange for sure

1 - 15 of 15 Posts