SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently looking at perhaps purchasing a 2008 XC70. It has 133k miles (214k kilometers). It has a good service history. What are some potential (more major) issues that might be common around this mileage point? My family had several older (2004 V70 being the last) that typically started having electrical issues around this point. I’m moving to a snowy area and would like a 4WD vehicle. Do you think this car would hold up well? And what do I need to be careful of with it?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Flush the gearbox and the Haldex maybe. Connect is to VIDA at a dealer and read failures. For the rest just enjoy. If you can find a 2011+ it would be even better. Less bugs.

️🟦

·
Registered
192 Posts
There were some early oil issues with the 3.2 but that would have long been resolved. The tensioner & water pump will probably need replaced if not already. I’ve had my 08 since 77k miles to now 172k and done little else except I’m very particular about all regular maintenance. The 3.2 is not a rocket but a dependable engine. Mine uses no oil and runs well. I was sick of the heater fan squealing and recently dropped a grand to have it replaced, but I guess turning up the radio volume is another solution . I read that the transmission won’t stand for a lot of towing, but I don’t use my hitch for more than a bike rack. I’m in Ohio with salt and rural gravel roads and still show no rust (body or undercarriage). Interior looks like new and you won’t find more comfortable seats for the road. The P3’s tend to be more reliable than the older P2 generation and you will like it in the snow. Have a trusted mechanic check it out, then enjoy the ride.

2008 XC70 (his), 2006 S80 2.5T AWD (hers), Past 1998 V70XC, 2004 V40.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You'll probably want to get a set of snow wheels and swap 'em in for winter. You can either buy used rims online, or buy a black rim from TireRack.com.....if you have room to store a set of wheels.

The AWD works well in snow when combined with snow tires. An all weather tire isn't going to do well in snow, regardless of AWD v. FWD.

·
Registered
707 Posts
You'll probably want to get a set of snow wheels and swap 'em in for winter. You can either buy used rims online, or buy a black rim from TireRack.com.....if you have room to store a set of wheels.

The AWD works well in snow when combined with snow tires. An all weather tire isn't going to do well in snow, regardless of AWD v. FWD.
Adding to the above, a FWD with dedicated winter tires will out perform an AWD on all season tires in winter driving.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
In rust belt, verify the rear springs. (Relatively cheap)
Leaking brake vacuum pump (cheap)
Noisy climate fan (expensive)
My rad fan failed suddenly at 260k km’s
Tailgate electric module (not that cheap)
Tensioner, aux belt, etc service (not cheap)
As others have said, replace the trans oil, will ensure smooth shifting.
Front struts should be replaced at 100k miles as far as I’m concerned

P3 vs. P2 is a completely different car. At higher mileage I would argue more reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts