SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a short list of common issues with 99 XC 70's. I come from a long list of both RWD and FWD Volvos, but never AWD. I am familiar with the driveline, but never had one to crawl around and become intimate with. I am headed to look at a car with only 120k on it and dont know whether I will have access to a lift nearby the owner. Any suggestions that anyone has, I greatly appreciate it. This car would retire my 745 NA as the DD. Thanks.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Each car varies with repairs or maintenance after 12yrs but the four most common for '99-'00 S/V/XC are probably:

Propeller shaft out of balance - Colorado Drive Shaft offers a replacement. Here is a write-up I did in December
'99-00s have can have ETM issues - repair option here: http://xemodex.com/technologyimproved/volvo
Evaporator for the A/C
Heater core

Angle gear failures are also common when mismatched tires are put on this generation AWD system. Other guys will post additional good info to consider.

At this age, and usually 100k+ mileage, there can be a fair amount of Stage 0 maintenance required, beyond the "common" hardware failures.

This recent thread has some good info & links

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Suspension
Nivomats
Wheel bearings
Heater core
Evap
Dash switch bulbs
E BRAKES
You MUST have someone look it over before you buy it

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
If the tires are mismatched, or there is a large difference in treadwear from front to back, walk away. That is the easiest way to kill the AWD system, which can get quite pricey to repair.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info and input. I like being able to make a quick checklist of items for an owner and go from there.
I am pretty particular about routine maintenance, and have been walking away from more and more due to neglect. I
do realize that I'm looking at cars with some age and mileage, but my DD now has 295k on it, and doesnt miss a beat.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Andy's comment is first and foremost. If the owner doesn't appear to be conscious of the need for tire upkeep, don't even bother. XC's are great cars when the AWD is functional. They have pretty much every option standard. CAr like that could be reasonable for around $3.5K if clean overall. Mileage isn't that low, and sitting around doesn't make the car worth more, just more to fix from lack of use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got in touch with the owner. I did get the vin and assumed
that it was serviced at Volvo of Ft Washington where I have dealt with
a number of the peeps there. Parts dept ok and I would consider the service
dept above average.
Does anyone have unlimited access to carfax? The owner indicated no accidents
that they know of, but there were 2 previous.
Can or will the service dept give me records?
I know this seems like a lot for a 3 k car, but once bitten ...
next time will be removing the wifes foot from my keester. And
This awd set up scares me a little. Give me a couple of Dana 60's
and a transfer case and Im good.
Thanks

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Why don't you let me try to find you a good one? I'm obviously local to you
PM me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts