SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya! I'm new to this forum, and was wondering if I could get a little input from you guys and gals about what I ought to do next to my car.

I currently own a Blue/Black 1990 240 DL. Current modifcations include:
• K&N square filter
• KYB High Pressure shocks
• Open pipe exhaust (not too loud to be illegal) past the cat

Currently working on:
• Custom aluminum airbox (I'm trying to use the same filter I have now instead of having to purchase a conical one)

Ideas for future mods:
• Aggressive Cams from IPD
• Stiffer Springs
• Turbo-look wheels (hubcaps look nice... but the sidewalls are too damn tall!)
• Sparco seats

It would be an AWESOME help if anyone who has previously modded a 240 in these similar ways could lend me some of their advice as to what I could do next!

Thanks,

-RoadBeef

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I have a 1990 Gray/Black 245 with Automatic Tranny. I did the IPD lowering springs and Bilstein Touring shocks. The ride is good, but it sags in the back, so I'm thinking of doing the suspension bushings as I'm told it'll sit higher in the back.

I did the VX cam and adjustable cam gear, adjusted 2 degrees, and it has more grunt. I also did the less aggressive IPD exhaust replacement.

I've got some other things I'm working on. At this point, one Recaro from a GTI 16V is on the driver's side, and as soon as I get the bolsters repaired on the other one, I'll be installing that as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks.

What part of the powerband do the cams change the most? Deep down? Higher up? What I'm looking for most is higher up horsepower, since B230F's already have enough torque down low to get the job done, IMO.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Be sure to get ipd sway bars - they'll dramatically improve your cornering attitude. Big wheels & tires also go a long way toward improving the fun quotient.

A normally-aspirated Volvo can't be made too powerful without serious investment. 140HP is about the best you can get with cheap and easy upgrades, like exhaust, cam (VX, K, H or a UNITEK grind), filter/intake, and other little tweaks, like advanced ignition timing, increased fuel pressure, etc... Headwork can be great, but $$$ (unless you're a DIY kind of guy.) There are also headers (UNITEK, Stahl) and other stuff like bored-out throttle bodies, stroker kits, aftermarket fuel/ignition controllers... it all depends on your goals for the car and the size of your wallet. What you do also depends on your tranny type - auto trannys don't respond well to mods that reduce low-end torque, unless you replace the torque converter with one that has a higher stall speed.

If you don't mind an engine swap, you can transfer a turbo motor into your car for a reasonable amount of dough.

I've got an '83 240 with the B23F. I've installed a K-cam, ipd sport exhaust, K&N filter, and a 3.0 bar FPR, and advanced the timing to about 15deg ATDC at idle. The engine puts out significantly more power from 3K RPM to 6K RPM, somewhat less power under 2K RPM. I've got the M46 tranny, so there's no problem with that. On the suspension side, I've installed ipd sway bars, strut-to-firewall braces, Boge Turbogas shocks, and a set of 16" X 7" wheels wrapped with 225/50-16 Kumho Ecsta Supras. Handling is fantastic, and power delivery is great in the upper end of the RPM band.

Explain what you'd like out of your car (street performance, autocross, drag racing, etc...), your skill level in working on the car, and what kind of budget you've got to work with, and we can help you figure out what will give you the most bang for your buck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-11110000-

In response to your question: I'm mostly interested in street performance, which in itself would make for good autocrossing. Cams and exhaust headers will probably be the height of which I modify the engine. Cylinder head work is simply out of my range of $$$ and experience.

To be more specific on what I'd like more out of the engine; Down low I think it is currently just fine. Got enough torque to even do a burnout sometimes (which is wasteful, I know, but nevertheless impressive for a Volvo). What I really dislike however is how the engine seems like it reaches an impass at about 4000 rpm where it becomes nearly 3 or 4 times harder for it to rev any higher. An engine more eager to push the tach higher is what I'm looking for. Preferrably, I'd like to keep the current engine.

Do you know if there are any aftermarket lightweight flywheels I might be able to get my hands on? Are there disadvantages of such an upgrade considering I'm using a slushbox? I'm guessing that a lighter flywheel coupled with improved cam timing, along with the other slight mods I've already done myself would most likely give me the kind of engine attitude I aspire for.

I do not know much, if anything at all, as to how and which item to install if I were to raise the fuel pressure. Do you have any advice or insight into that area?

As a last resort, I have read about and seen a number of 240's with Chevy or Ford V-8 conversions. Considering Chevy and Ford small blocks are a dime a dozen, this might be a more economical approach to solving my thirst for more power. But the obvious disadvantages are that the car would become nose-heavy, and getting used to chronic power-on oversteer might be tricky for a car that was never intended to have double or triple it's own stock horsepower. Do you have any experience in the field of V-8 conversions? I work at Infineon Raceway (Sears Point), and I know of one guy there who has a V-8 240 that seems to run nicely, but doesnt sound too nice. I haven't ridden with him in his car yet, so I don't know exactly how different the balance becomes.

Heh, I realise these are alot of questions, and I apologize if I'm bugging you. But I really appreciate yours and others help as I make progress upgrading my beloved Volvo. Thank you!

-RoadBeef

[This message has been edited by RoadBeef (edited 08-23-2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts