SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this on Edmunds also:

Just got my MT issue yesterday...there is a comment about the XC90's offroad competence:

The most memorable moment of our off road test came when we pointed the Volvo XC90 up a trail only the most dedicated trucks tackled. With stoic Scandinavian reserve, the five-cylinder SUV methodically plodded up the trail--not once but three times to ensure it wasn't a fluke. To measure how great a feat that was, we attempted to run the H2 up the same hill in street mode (four-wheel drive in high-range, but without locking the differentials). It didn't make it. No Joke.

I should add that MT finished off the paragraph stating: However, simply putting the H2 in Low range allowed it to easily make the rest of the climb. Did you think the H2 wasn't going to make it? http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

The XC90 is a competent offroader too, per MT.

Speedvision will show Motor Trend Television on Monday, 10PM. It might be the SUV of the Year episode.

[Modified by crikey, 8:37 PM 11-2-2002]

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: Comment on XC90 offroad ability from MT 2003 SUV of the Year issue (crikey)

That's very interesting.

Next question is approach and departure angles. The that's really the weakness of the XC70.

Now they need to put the descent control and maybe some diff locks on it. I know the Touareg will have those. Actually, that'd make an interesting start to an off-road package or something.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts

That is the beauty of Haldex AWD. It is so quick, it just takes one-seventh of a wheel rotatation for it to react. I went to the bookstore and read the whole article today. The XC90 pretty much wiped the floor with the competition.

It was nice to read that Volvo is on par with Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz for European structural sound-ness. Another nice thing they said about the interior was that not since Audi set the bar for interior, have they seen such a nicer executed interior as the XC90.

-Drew

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

I saw the MT episode on Speed tonight. It was very well done. Nothing but good things to say about the XC90. Looks like they had two to play with from the show. A silver and a black one. The black one had chrome trim and looked very sexy. Great comments about the ride of the XC90. They did say something to this effect, "It's not intended for off road use, but can certainly do it when needed."

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MotorTrend TV SUV of the Year episode

I saw it too and the XC90 was amazing. It looked very capable offroad as it seemed to handle most, if not all, of the terrain that MT subjected it to. Quite impressive. MT also commented that the 4-speed tranny was excellent for the T6, it was smooth as silk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts