SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My company Classic Auto Glass Innovations is currently working on the Flush Mount Windshields and Back glasses for the P1800's and Amazon's, and I thought this would be pretty cool to show, so people can see the quality and fitment of the glass.

One of my company's sponsor cars has done very well over the last 2 years at several very prestigious events, with some very notable judges, by taking the Best of Show in most of them. Its very first appearance scored 995 points out of a possible 1000 points, with our flush mount products installed.. These type shows have a very involved scoring system, and will even take into account the finish on the top of exposed bolts, the working of the lighting system.

June 2nd and 3rd of this month, our sponsor car was at Disney World, to attend an invitational car show (Downtown Disney's Car Masters Weekend), and had some heavy hitter judges, which included Chip Foose himself. Our sponsor car, took several awards, along with the Best of Show..

I just thought it would be nice to show what I have in mind for the Classic Volvo's, when it comes to the glass products, along with the type of events I am trying to get these cars involved in..

·
Registered
728 Posts
Congrats! That is an awesome accomplishment. I hope to see the quality of your glass in my car very soon. Perhaps a roof glass if you are looking for a got on the West coast to test. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! That is an awesome accomplishment. I hope to see the quality of your glass in my car very soon. Perhaps a roof glass if you are looking for a got on the West coast to test. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just wait until you see the 67-68 Mustang I am supplying glass to, they have a half million invested in it, and it isnt completed yet.. LOL I have several more lines of glass being released very soon, and the P1800 and Amazon is the later part of that group.. I am not sure what I am doing with the offering of the full Greenhouse roof, that will really depend on liability on that one.. I will have 5 pieces made for my personal stock, but not sure if they will be produced beyond that.. The P1800 roof will support the glass modfication with no issue, and it will actually add to the structural strength of the car, but I would be dependant on the workmanship of the necessary modifcations to the body..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just wait until you see the 67-68 Mustang I am supplying glass to, they have a half million invested in it, and it isnt completed yet.. LOL I have several more lines of glass being released very soon, and the P1800 and Amazon is the later part of that group.. I am not sure what I am doing with the offering of the full Greenhouse roof, that will really depend on liability on that one.. I will have 5 pieces made for my personal stock, but not sure if they will be produced beyond that.. The P1800 roof will support the glass modfication with no issue, and it will actually add to the structural strength of the car, but I would be dependant on the workmanship of the necessary modifcations to the body..
I'll sign whatever waiver, in blood, to get a greenhouse roof

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll sign whatever waiver, in blood, to get a greenhouse roof

I appreciate that.. LOL I have been considering, that if there is any liability at all with it, that Swedish Ops Special Builds Divsion may do the conversions in house.. But the only way this would work, is if the car is sent to us for the modification, and waivers are signed.. I am still discussing it with some people, and this is sort of a un-treaded territory in the modifications products world, so I am not sure what the answers will be..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Cool :cool:
Do you have any pics or rendering of the 1800?

I seem to remember a company posting a similar thread a few years ago... hmmm
Here are two version's of our Special Builds Division renderings.. And you will notice subtle changes to the car, and the flush mount glass kits. The green car shows the deletion of the front turn signal/marke lights, but that is not an option we are going with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I appreciate that.. LOL I have been considering, that if there is any liability at all with it, that Swedish Ops Special Builds Divsion may do the conversions in house.. But the only way this would work, is if the car is sent to us for the modification, and waivers are signed.. I am still discussing it with some people, and this is sort of a un-treaded territory in the modifications products world, so I am not sure what the answers will be..
I cut the roofs off of brand new Toyotas, Mercedes, Fords and Chevy's all the time :p I build custom pop-top campers!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
absolutely bad ass, seems like your glass is making a name for itself.

so how are the few 1800's you have coming?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Beautiful,

But I'd still be worried about the structural rigidity after cutting that much out of the roof...

Iam,

Did you mention that is INCREASES the strength? How?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Beautiful,

But I'd still be worried about the structural rigidity after cutting that much out of the roof...

Iam,

Did you mention that is INCREASES the strength? How?
If I understand correctly, a greenhouse style roof replaces the sheet metal with a glass panel, while leaving the pillars and other structural pieces intact. It wouldn't fold down like a convertible or be topless like a chop-top, or even open like a sunroof. Might be a tad heavier, but will look oh-so good! Kind of like a woman adding weight to her chest.... we don't seem to mind that, either!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If I understand correctly, a greenhouse style roof replaces the sheet metal with a glass panel, while leaving the pillars and other structural pieces intact. It wouldn't fold down like a convertible or be topless like a chop-top, or even open like a sunroof. Might be a tad heavier, but will look oh-so good! Kind of like a woman adding weight to her chest.... we don't seem to mind that, either!
You are correct here.. The factory Pillar and Rail system will support the Greenhouse roof.. If you remove your headliner, you will find that the only thing that you need to remove is the sheet metal.. Once the Roof Rails are exposed, they will then be Boxed closed in steel, with a Urethane Flange added, and that will stiffen up the actualy body structure. Now when you add the heavy duty tempered glass, and then rigidly mount it with a newer panel bonding urethane, you have then added even more strenght to the body.. You will not have to remove the rearward/upper Back window brace, because the glass will be shaded to hide that structure, along with the actual rail mounting structure, while highlighting the center roof and back glass view.. I hope that makes sense, because it sounds more complicated than it is..

·
Registered
184 Posts
What about heat with these "greenhouse" glass roofs? Props to you and I love the idea of the glass but the heat concerns me. The little factory sunroof in my old nissan hardbody pickup gets annoyingly hot in the summer months... but it can be opened to vent.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts