SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What wheel size and summer tire choice will give me the smoothest ride in my 2016 XC70?

I have the 17" Pirellis that came with the vehicle. I also have Michelin X-Ice 215/65R16 snow tires, that give me a more comfortable ride than the Pirellis.

I'm assuming a 16" wheel will give me a smoother ride than 17" or larger.

So what summer tire do I choose (assuming for the moment, money is no object)?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the Continental All Contact on my stock 16” wheels and they are quite nice. They do tend to not be long mileage unfortunately, but grab the road.

2008 XC70 (his), 2006 S80 2.5T AWD (hers), Past 1998 V70XC, 2004 V40.

·
Registered
634 Posts
For comfort but w/o the wobble/float of the 215/65-16 tires, I liked 225/60-16 on my P2 (same tire size as you). It has the same overall diameter so no instrument weirdness. If you don't want to go to 17" and a little firmer feel, that might be an option.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree that winter tires are where it’s at for a cushy ride (I like Bridgestone Blizzaks)

For non-winter use, my favorites are Michelin Pilot Sports all-seasons. I get them when Costco has their Michelin discount (they usually flip between a sale on Michelin and a sale on Bridgestone)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that winter tires are where it’s at for a cushy ride (I like Bridgestone Blizzaks)

For non-winter use, my favorites are Michelin Pilot Sports all-seasons. I get them when Costco has their Michelin discount (they usually flip between a sale on Michelin and a sale on Bridgestone)
Thank you. Are you saying the Blizzaks give you a cushier ride than the Pilot Sports All Seasons?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thank you. Are you saying the Blizzaks give you a cushier ride than the Pilot Sports All Seasons?
Oh yeah, they’re cushy as all get out. Of course you can’t run them above 40 degrees F without burning them up. The Pilot Sport A/S are comfortable enough riding too for me anyway, but their big benefit is how well they handle the road. I have always had better luck with them over the Pirelli original equipment tires that comes on Volvos.

·
Registered
2011 XC70 3.2L
142 Posts
note: not a tire expert but I have some experiance good and bad and I’ll share.
DO NOT RUN BLIZZAK IN THE SUMMER. lol. They will wear out incredibly fast! The handling is also a little less sharp and less positive feedback. Blizzak tires are one of the best snow tires… but to be as good as they are in the snow and winter they are a bit compromised for warmer weather.

If you want the ride of blizzaks (cushy, quiet, disconnected) but without the risk of tires failing in summer heat while driving 100s of mile I suggest Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires. They decent in in the snow and handle warm Weather fairly well. Again handling will be a bit less sharp vs dedicated summer tires like pilot sports and not as good in snow as dedicated snow tire or good offroad as a dedicated offroad tire. However as an allrounder tire, I can’t find much fault in CrossClimate 2’s.

if you want a good offroad tire that’s all good in snow and fairly well behaved on road, the General Tire A/T x is a great choice or the Falken Wildpeak both great all terrain tires that are General purpose go anywhere puncture resistant off-roader tire that are very well behaved on road. Downside of the. Is they are heavier than other “normal” tire types because of all layer and added resistance and hardening to puncturing from being bashed around on the rocks.

if looking for a good dedicated summer tire, nothing wrong with the Michelin sport pilot tires.. fantastic tires but little more prone to bringing someroad Noise in sometimes but very sharp handling and great handling In the wet usually. Terrible tires in colder months in my opinion though they turn hard and get more slick.

great snow tires are usually Blizzak or Nokian tires but also all terrain tires do extremely well too. Drawbacks for snow tires as mentioned with blizzaks is cant or shouldn’t run them in warmer weather as they wear fast.

And unless setting lap records on a dry track, I do not reccomend Perreli PZero tires.. not great in the wet, amazing in the dry on a track… but if you have to get P-Zeros avoid please avoid the Trofeo tires….. they are the worst at removing water. Basically a slip and slide with those tires. Not technically slicks but they are damn near close enough. Perelli can make some damn good tires but they’re P-Zero and their trofeo tires are for track days and dry ones at that only..

·
Registered
421 Posts
All good advice offered here. Especially re winter tires: it hits 7oC, and off they come- stat!

If anyone cares, Pirelli is now Chinese-owned. A Chinese SOE (ChemChina) bought Pirelli through a ChemChina subsidiary in 2015.

Fortunately, there are many quality non-Chinese alternatives in the tire market. I‘m running 17in. summer Contis on the T6 now, and they ride fine (my T5M won’t be on the road for a few months- don’t ask 🙄).

/a real handling benefit of the P2 V cars is that the battery is mounted in the rear and low. Benefits: ~1% of vehicle weight is shifted aft AND the centre of gravity is lowered compared to the P3 V cars with its battery at driver’s shoulder height.

·
Registered
13,495 Posts
What wheel size and summer tire choice will give me the smoothest ride in my 2016 XC70?

I have the 17" Pirellis that came with the vehicle. I also have Michelin X-Ice 215/65R16 snow tires, that give me a more comfortable ride than the Pirellis.

I'm assuming a 16" wheel will give me a smoother ride than 17" or larger.

So what summer tire do I choose (assuming for the moment, money is no object)?
I like General Altimax RT43. Yes, they're a reasonably priced tire so not exactly a "money no object" decision but I think they're performance is really good.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you don't require hotrod performance, take a look at Pirelli's Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II tire. We've run several sets on VWs and are happy with the 235/50x18s on our '16 XC70. They are smooth riding, quiet and work surprisingly well in light snow (that's the Plus part). In the winter months, we run Michelin Ice X-Ice 3s in 225/60x16 though when we need front brakes, I plan to upgrade to bigger fronts at which point I'll need to move to 17" winter wheels.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I like General Altimax RT43. Yes, they're a reasonably priced tire so not exactly a "money no object" decision but I think they're performance is really good.
Ill second these...good tire.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Quatrac Pro is Vredestein's Grand Touring All-Season tire. I'm running 235/50/18. Although an all-season tire, they deliver the traction needed to receive the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol (3PMSF). So far I'm loving them after ~ 8k of all-weather driving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts