SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 XC90 has the 20in wheel option sporting Pirelli 275/45R20 Verde All Season. I am about 36k miles in (bought it about 12k miles ago) and I hate these tires. Road noise is atrocious in my opinion and I know this is a common complaint. I have researched many threads and the common replacement is the Michelin Premier LTX. My issue with the Michelins is the wear rating is worse than the Pirellis on Tire Rack’s Rating.

Now there is a new and improved Pirelli 275/45R20 Verde All Season Plus II tire. Tire Rack is stating that it is much improved, quiet and better wear. There is not a lot of information out there. does anyone have any experience with these? Anyone want to share experiences with the Michelins or any other tire to consider?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...utoModel=XC90+T6+AWD&autoModClar=#testResults

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us...oduct-sheet/scorpion-verde-all-season-plus-ii

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Unfortunately for me Pirelli does not provide for a 21 inch tire in this new version offering. Go figure! As for the tire, how does it compare in price to the others? My experience in purchasing a lot of tires is that the wear ratings are not really meant for cross tire comparison. I mean that a wear rating of say 500 for a Pirelli does not compare with a tire rating of 500 for the Michelin tire. The manufacture uses wear ratings so that you can compare tires in their specific offerings, not cross brand offerings. Having said that I don't have the negative feelings towards Pirelli that many on this forum express. I have purchased tires in the past from a performance based viewpoint. Pirelli has been involved in racing for a long time and has produced some pretty decent tires. At least the tires that come on our cars are not off branded tires.

The tests seem to suggest that all three tires offerings are very close. Tire track does seem to do a good job of testing tires. You might call them and discuss over the phone. They tend to be very customer focused. Having said that, which ever tire you run make sure you keep it at the recommended tire pressure and keep your tires aligned. You can do a lot from a performance standpoint with alignment. There are a number of people who track their cars on this forum that can testify to that. The key is to prevent adverse tire wear from occurring in the first place. Once your tires wear inappropriately there is almost no remedy other than shaving off tread. Noise can be the result of incorrect alignment and the resulting wear patterns.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Unfortunately for me Pirelli does not provide for a 21 inch tire in this new version offering. Go figure! As for the tire, how does it compare in price to the others? My experience in purchasing a lot of tires is that the wear ratings are not really meant for cross tire comparison. I mean that a wear rating of say 500 for a Pirelli does not compare with a tire rating of 500 for the Michelin tire. The manufacture uses wear ratings so that you can compare tires in their specific offerings, not cross brand offerings. Having said that I don't have the negative feelings towards Pirelli that many on this forum express. I have purchased tires in the past from a performance based viewpoint. Pirelli has been involved in racing for a long time and has produced some pretty decent tires. At least the tires that come on our cars are not off branded tires.

The tests seem to suggest that all three tires offerings are very close. Tire track does seem to do a good job of testing tires. You might call them and discuss over the phone. They tend to be very customer focused. Having said that, which ever tire you run make sure you keep it at the recommended tire pressure and keep your tires aligned. You can do a lot from a performance standpoint with alignment. There are a number of people who track their cars on this forum that can testify to that. The key is to prevent adverse tire wear from occurring in the first place. Once your tires wear inappropriately there is almost no remedy other than shaving off tread. Noise can be the result of incorrect alignment and the resulting wear patterns.
Thanks for the quick reply, you definitely provided some good info. I am a pretty hands on owner, pressures rotation and alignment is kept up with. They're loud now that I'm in the final 1/3 of the tread (wear indicators are not yet contacting the road). They are starting to hydroplane slightly, that and the noise is the main reason for the change.

As for the pricing they just so happen split the cost between the OEM Pirelli tire and the Michelin:

Michelin 261.99
Pirelli (OEM) 231.50
Pirelli (NEW Verde) 251.58

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I would also check out Costco to see if they have access to the Pirelli. I recently stopped by my local Costco and they gave me an installed price for 4 Michelin which was really good below $1200. I like that I can go to any Costco and have the tires rotated and balanced for the life of the tire. Plus I get my 2% off using my Costco Card. Their stock is one of the few that has quietly risen over the years in a consistent manner.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would also check out Costco to see if they have access to the Pirelli. I recently stopped by my local Costco and they gave me an installed price for 4 Michelin which was really good below $1200. I like that I can go to any Costco and have the tires rotated and balanced for the life of the tire. Plus I get my 2% off using my Costco Card. Their stock is one of the few that has quietly risen over the years in a consistent manner.
I live in a special state that does not have a single costo :what:

·
Registered
40 Posts

Perhaps consider the new Yokohama Geolander X-CV. I've read good things about it on the Mercedes and Tesla forums, but it is new and there are limited reviews available. I also have 21" wheels and it is available in our size.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps consider the new Yokohama Geolander X-CV. I've read good things about it on the Mercedes and Tesla forums, but it is new and there are limited reviews available. I also have 21" wheels and it is available in our size.
Thank you for the heads up on this. Perhaps a new player has entered the game. I will keep my eye out for Geolander and Verde All Season Plus II reviews!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you for the heads up on this. Perhaps a new player has entered the game. I will keep my eye out for Geolander and Verde All Season Plus II reviews!
No problem, I have close to 13,000 miles on my tires and they will be needing replacement sooner rather than later based on the amount I drive, so I'm hoping reviews come out soon, and maybe a Tire Rack test. The Verde IIs don't seem to be available in the 21" size, unfortunately, and Pirelli generally angers me, so I've got my fingers crossed on the Yokohama tire.

TireRack says they will be unlikely to test the tire until sometime prior to next summer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pirelli's on the XC90 were garbage from day one. I had to replace them at I think 24K because of the noise. I will never own another set of Pirelli's again. I replaced the tires with Michelin CrossClimate+ tires. I went with these as I like Michelin tires and I had some concerns with the LTX wearing too quickly based on what I had read. The projected wear on the CrossClimate+ tires is projected to be better than the LTX - we will see if how it plays out.

The tires are better than the Pirelli's hands down in terms of comfort and noise. The one thing I will say is I did prefer the Pirelli's in terms of handling - they felt more precise to me than the CrossClimate tires. I would describe the CrossClimates as more "Squishy". It is not a huge difference and probably relates to the improved comfort but something to note. Other thing I will say is the pattern on the new tires is a bit jarring when you see it. The pattern is very different from what you typically see on cars today. At this point it has grown on me/I like it but initially I was not sure about the apperance.

One other thing I found during my journey is that although it was not possible to check alignment previously without actually performing an alignment (at about $150) there now is a way to do so. Hunter has a drive though alignment check that is starting to be rolled out. You can contact Hunter to see if someone in your area has the product and potentially save yourself some money on an alignment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4HeoAwSRNM

For reference link to CrossClimate+:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=CrossClimate+

Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pirelli's on the XC90 were garbage from day one. I had to replace them at I think 24K because of the noise. I will never own another set of Pirelli's again. I replaced the tires with Michelin CrossClimate+ tires. I went with these as I like Michelin tires and I had some concerns with the LTX wearing too quickly based on what I had read. The projected wear on the CrossClimate+ tires is projected to be better than the LTX - we will see if how it plays out.

The tires are better than the Pirelli's hands down in terms of comfort and noise. The one thing I will say is I did prefer the Pirelli's in terms of handling - they felt more precise to me than the CrossClimate tires. I would describe the CrossClimates as more "Squishy". It is not a huge difference and probably relates to the improved comfort but something to note. Other thing I will say is the pattern on the new tires is a bit jarring when you see it. The pattern is very different from what you typically see on cars today. At this point it has grown on me/I like it but initially I was not sure about the apperance.

One other thing I found during my journey is that although it was not possible to check alignment previously without actually performing an alignment (at about $150) there now is a way to do so. Hunter has a drive though alignment check that is starting to be rolled out. You can contact Hunter to see if someone in your area has the product and potentially save yourself some money on an alignment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4HeoAwSRNM

For reference link to CrossClimate+:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=CrossClimate+

Good luck.
Thank you for sharing your experience and passing along this great info!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My issue with the Michelins is the wear rating is worse than the Pirellis on Tire Rack’s Rating.
A quick note about cross shopping tires; tire wear ratings cannot be cross referenced across manufacturers. The grades are assigned by the tire manufacturers based on their test results. Tire manufacturers are not under any obligation to grade a tire based on the test results, except that they may not overstate the grade.

The wear rating is unique to each manufacturer, and is based on their parameters as well as the top & bottom performing tire's wear rating in their passenger car portfolio.
While manufacturer (A) may rate their tire as a 400 Tread Wear Rating, that same tire if made by manufacturer (B) may only grade as a 300.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yokohama is a solid tire company. They've been around for well over 50 years at this point. Taiwenese company, Nankang, who they partnered with for decades but were no slouches, focused on the budget and mid-priced end of the tire sales ladder, while Yoko focused on OE supplier, upper mid and premium sales segments.

Outside of the high-performance tire space. I'm more apt to trust Yoko before Pirelli. Pirelli can't seem to get it into their DNA that tires should be quiet and supple. Of course if price is not object, you can always get yourself a fine set of these GY Eagles on "sale" at Amazon. :eek::confused:
Well sir, let me tell you - Amazon is running quite the aggressive deal on Goodyear's today!
Buy a tire, get free shipping!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yokohama is a solid tire company. They've been around for well over 50 years at this point. Taiwenese company, Nankang, who they partnered with for decades but were no slouches, focused on the budget and mid-priced end of the tire sales ladder, while Yoko focused on OE supplier, upper mid and premium sales segments.

Outside of the high-performance tire space. I'm more apt to trust Yoko before Pirelli. Pirelli can't seem to get it into their DNA that tires should be quiet and supple. Of course if price is not object, you can always get yourself a fine set of these GY Eagles on "sale" at Amazon. :eek::confused:
Even in the high performance space, I'd take Yokohoma Advan* over anything Pirelli has ever put out. Some of my performance cars have come with Pirelli in the past, and I've had them swapped with less than 1000 miles every time because they've been so terrible. They're truly not good at anything, which is hard to imagine being possible. Noisy, stiff sidewalls/ride yet not sharp handling, terrible wet traction, and early failures noted in every forum I've ever been a part of, and sometimes even poor dry grip compared to the alternatives. I don't know how a tire company can get it so wrong yet be so popular with OEMs - even the pricing is high. Maybe they give huge discounts to the auto manufacturers?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
. I don't know how a tire company can get it so wrong yet be so popular with OEMs - even the pricing is high. Maybe they give huge discounts to the auto manufacturers?
It's the calendar. :p

I can't much disagree with what you said about Pirrelli though. Friend had a Pre-Owned Cayenne S shod with Pirrellis. He didn't much about tires per se but after driving it for about 50 miles, I told him his tires were fecal matter. Loud, harsh, and weird handling characteristic. It wouldn't bite on turn-in and there was a numb nothingness feel, then with another degree of wheel angle it would load up and have a ton of grip.
Not his fault though - this is what they came with from the dealer he bought it from. I told him to burn them up before the season, get some cheap base model V6 wheels and Winter tires, then go to Michelin's the next season.

I will give P some credit though. They make a damn fine motorcycle tire in the Diablo and Diablo Rosso Corsas. I also like that I can get last generation's P tire tech at deep discount if I buy their Metzeler imprint.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Have those tires on the Lexus. I’m more of a Michelin man but have nothing against the extreme contact tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have those tires on the Lexus. I’m more of a Michelin man but have nothing against the extreme contact tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have read several complaints of the Michelin tread wear poor, similar to the OEM Pirelli tire. This is a major concern for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For anyone interested i went with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. I haven't driven much yet, I can already tell they are much quieter and seem to ride slightly less firm that the OEM Pirellis.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts