SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was test driving a CPO 2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription the other day. I noticed a huge difference between Comfort (the default setting I think) and Dynamic (or sport, don’t remember the name) modes.

I was trying to pass a vehicle to test the blis system, but the car just wouldn’t “go” in comfort mode. I felt that the car was a bit more responsive in dynamic mode.

What do you all use for daily driving and how much difference do you feel on your cars? If you have a MY19 car your opinion would be greatly appreciated since I am planning to buy one.

My driving style is a bit on the spirited side.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
Firstly, I have a MY18 and not a MY19 as you ask for. Secondly it is a V90CC T6 and not a XC90 so my reply might slightly differ for the XC.

Yes. The Dynamic mode is (of course) more responsive than the comfort mode as it keeps you in a lower gear but I would, in no way, say that my car will just not go in comfort mode. I won't' say that even for the Eco mode. The car just passes much better in the Dynamic and that better-ness gradually decreases in comfort and then in Eco.

I drive in (default) comfort almost all the time. Sometimes, on long road trips, I put it in Eco mode to up my MPG. Dynamic is for those days where you want to overtake everyone at 90-100mph on the Interstate and behave like a teenager in a riced Honda Civic. I found dynamic to be "too" dynamic for city traffic situation. Comfort is the default mode to go unless wanted otherwise.

To satisfy your spirited driving, you can also check out a XC with the Polestar tune on it. Although the tune only changes the dynamic mode (from what I know), it a decent difference between non-polestar and polestar dynamic.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine is a '19 T6 and the only difference in performance seems to be for me Eco verses Comfort, which is what I would expect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
‘16/90/T6 here and there is a significant acceleration/handling difference in Comfort vs. Dynamic. I drive in the default (Comfort) 90% of the time but occasionally “feel the need for speed” and go Dynamic. I also choose this option when I know I’ll encounter certain intersections where that extra “punch” of acceleration is nice to have to clear them quickly.

·
Registered
934 Posts
To satisfy your spirited driving, you can also check out a XC with the Polestar tune on it. Although the tune only changes the dynamic mode (from what I know), it a decent difference between non-polestar and polestar dynamic.
No, Polestar modifies all modes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dynamic also lowers the vehicle if air ride equipped. I have my individual set up starting with the performance mode, then changed the engine, braking, and steering more towards comfort...my cruse mode.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The problem I had was comfort was much too "lazy" in regards to gas pedal response and dynamic was too much for all the time use but the gas pedal response was much better. To be honest, the best solution is to get Polestar. Comfort mode pedal response feels pretty close to stock dynamic mode. Dynamic with the reflash is even more aggressive. The transmission shift points across all the modes is greatly improved with polestar.

I mostly live in individual mode now with the powertrain in "comfort" and steering/braking in "dynamic" with suspension in "comfort". With the air suspension I find the dynamic mode a little hard for daily driving on imperfect roads.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Can confirm this. In a non P* XC90 I frequented Dynamic mode, however now with P* I am about 50/50 with the two modes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can confirm this. In a non P* XC90 I frequented Dynamic mode, however now with P* I am about 50/50 with the two modes.
If I get Polestar, is it possible to disable for a particular driver profile (my wife wouldn’t need it) just to get better fuel efficiency?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Before Polestar in my '16, Comfort was too sluggish and Dynamic was overly jerky. Polestar's updated shift points improved both modes for me. I use Comfort most of the time and it has plenty of power across the range. I'll use Dynamic if I need more punch for passing and slotting on a crowded highway. In my '16 the main thing I don't like about Dynamic is the higher idle point. There are several threads with more information if you do a search.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Non polestar, 2018 SPA xc90 T6; it appears that the idle rpm and the turbocharger boost pressure are higher in dynamic mode than in anything else. The other modes don't seem that different (eco and comfort), and you can combine different things with individual mode. Eco seem to trigger coasting easier than comfort. I use Eco most of the time; if I want a more "engaged" driving experience, I drive my other car (with smaller curb weight and manual transmission).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was test driving a CPO 2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription the other day. I noticed a huge difference between Comfort (the default setting I think) and Dynamic (or sport, don’t remember the name) modes.

I was trying to pass a vehicle to test the blis system, but the car just wouldn’t “go” in comfort mode. I felt that the car was a bit more responsive in dynamic mode.

What do you all use for daily driving and how much difference do you feel on your cars? If you have a MY19 car your opinion would be greatly appreciated since I am planning to buy one.

My driving style is a bit on the spirited side.
Right to Dynamic. Wish I could set to default Dynamic.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've got a 2017 XC90 T6 with Polestar, and while most of the time I drive in Eco or Comfort, when I decide to have some fun I'll put it in dynamic. The very nature of the car changes including shift points, suspension, ride height and even the sound and you feel much more comfortable pushing the car to its limits.

·
Registered
254 Posts
ECU mapping and shifting is different on the Dynamic setting. Comfort is for regular driving and better gas economy and Eco is even much better at gas economy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts