SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier about the inscriptions roof rails and how mine are getting cloudy and hazy. I was counting on a few ppl here who may be able to offer their advice or experience with the same problem, but no one has responded.
Has no one had any experience with their inscriptions roof rails appearance?

·
Registered
2018 XC90 T8 (wife has 2015 V60 T5)
42 Posts
I've got a 2018 Inscription (T8). Absolutely zero issue. Rails on mine look great.

Do you take your vehicle to car washes (even the self wash ones)? Harsh chemicals in the soap/water could be the issue. I only wash mine at home. Better soap/water washing at home.

Good luck figuring it out.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
2019T8i: zero (roof) problems so far.
Any pictures (best!), damage description, MY and trim you can share?
Bird crap? Tree sap? Squished bugs? Uncleaned leaves or organic material? Roof rack marking? Salt water? Acid rain? Train underpass? Standing water? Used or unused rails? First owner? Spots, smears, entire rail length, streaks, one rail only, top of rail, center facing or side facing part of rail only, front or back, etc? How is the car exterior cleaned?
Can ya throw us a bone?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I posted earlier about the inscriptions roof rails and how mine are getting cloudy and hazy. I was counting on a few ppl here who may be able to offer their advice or experience with the same problem, but no one has responded.
I have an early 2016 Inscription model which is now 4 years old, and have not noticed any change to roof rails appearance.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
Zero Issues on my MY18! Head to the Dealership and get it taken care of under warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I suspect OP takes the car to car washes. I’ve heard of this sort of hazing on BMW black and silver trims. I’ve also heard that mild paint cleaners(chemical, no abrasives)will bring back the appearance.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No issues with my roof rails, but my car has never seen a car wash either.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you use bar keepers make sure to rinse VERY well and finish with a clean microfiber cloth. Use a good sealer and or wax afterwards to protect them from the elements. Also important, go with the grain of the stainless and do not press hard. Allow the bar keepers with the little bit of water to work on the surface for a few minutes if really bad. Use on cool surface in the shade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've got a 2018 Inscription (T8). Absolutely zero issue. Rails on mine look great.

Do you take your vehicle to car washes (even the self wash ones)? Harsh chemicals in the soap/water could be the issue. I only wash mine at home. Better soap/water washing at home.

Good luck figuring it out.
I suspect OP takes the car to car washes. I’ve heard of this sort of hazing on BMW black and silver trims. I’ve also heard that mild paint cleaners(chemical, no abrasives)will bring back the appearance.
My first thought as well. Touch, touchless and self service bays all use harsh chemicals and people don't seem to understand the problems they cause. A coworker of mine was complaining that the chrome finish was "flaking" off the front grill on his Audi A6 a few months back. I asked if he goes through a carwash and he said "yes, I have an unlimited monthly membership". I told him it's the chemicals, etc etc. He didn't listen and now has a Jaguar. The paint on that was trashed and swirled within 2 weeks of him owning as he went through the car wash at least 4 times in that period. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
A coworker of mine was complaining that the chrome finish was "flaking" off the front grill on his Audi A6 a few months back. I asked if he goes through a carwash and he said "yes, I have an unlimited monthly membership". I told him it's the chemicals, etc etc. He didn't listen and now has a Jaguar. The paint on that was trashed and swirled within 2 weeks of him owning as he went through the car wash at least 4 times in that period. :facepalm:
Yikes, thx for sharing. I guess I know now how much I'm missing by washing my car at home . . . Before I ended an unlimited monthly membership for my wife's (non-Volvo) car a year ago, that car's clearcoat was definitely scratched by the (brush) car wash - can/do they ever clean those felt bristles?! - and their microfiber drying towels - do they ever really swap them out for fresh ones?!
So now I do everything at home with the two bucket method and known chemicals, saving my cars and some dineros

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yea, you are dragging the dirt etc. from the vehicles ahead of you all up and down Your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Automatic car washes are sophisticated dirt exchange systems: dirt from your car will end up in the car behind you while your car gets the dirt from the car ahead...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts