SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to propose that we merge the 850 and x70 forums into one general P80 forum. Because a facelift is the only real difference betwen the 850 and x70, I believe that splitting these up divides the knowledge base of the forum in a way that is not beneficial to the community, and that neither form generates so many posts that this would create an overly busy forum. In addition to the other issues, the way we have it now causes a special problem for the '98 x70s; they have more in common with the 850 than the '99-'00 x70s, yet they are grouped with the '99-'00s, thus depriving their owners of knowledge from the 850 board that could be valuable to them. Having it split like this is almost like if we had separate forums for 01-04 P2 S60/V70s and '05+ P2 S60/V70s because of the 2005 facelift, IMO.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I second this. I was about to make a post to the same effect.

Reasons as JaredR said:

* Very few differences between 850 and x70 (all cars are on the P80 platform, and 98's are basically 850s)
* Combine the knowledge base for searchability
* Not a lot of activity in these three forums any more

So, can we please combine the following forums into one:

* 850 (1993-1997) - Discussion area for the Volvo 850 models.
* S70, V70 & V70XC (1998-2000) - Discussion area for the first generation Volvo S70, V70 and V70XC produced from 1997 to 2000.
* C70 (1998-2004) - Discussion area for the first generation Volvo C70 models.

And create a new forum, something like:

* P80 Platform (1993-2004) - Discussion area for the Volvo 850 (1993-97); S70, V70, V70XC (1998-00), and first generation C70 (1998-04)

Doing this is incredibly easy in Vbulletin. You just create a new empty forum (the P80 one), and then go to the Admin Control Panel -> Threads and Posts -> Move and move the threads and posts (in bulk) from old forums into the new one. Vbulletin will take care of the URL redirects automatically.

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
I support it! More people in the same place solves problems faster and we get to all check out eachothers cars.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Agree, probably makes sense at this point as activity on the different sections continues to decline as these cars get older and not as many in service.

·
Registered
15,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very happy to see this is getting some support!

I second this. I was about to make a post to the same effect.

Reasons as JaredR said:

* Very few differences between 850 and x70 (all cars are on the P80 platform, and 98's are basically 850s)
* Combine the knowledge base for searchability
* Not a lot of activity in these three forums any more

So, can we please combine the following forums into one:

* 850 (1993-1997) - Discussion area for the Volvo 850 models.
* S70, V70 & V70XC (1998-2000) - Discussion area for the first generation Volvo S70, V70 and V70XC produced from 1997 to 2000.
* C70 (1998-2004) - Discussion area for the first generation Volvo C70 models.

And create a new forum, something like:

* P80 Platform (1993-2004) - Discussion area for the Volvo 850 (1993-97); S70, V70, V70XC (1998-00), and first generation C70 (1998-04)

Doing this is incredibly easy in Vbulletin. You just create a new empty forum (the P80 one), and then go to the Admin Control Panel -> Threads and Posts -> Move and move the threads and posts (in bulk) from old forums into the new one. Vbulletin will take care of the URL redirects automatically.

Slight edit, P80 platform started in 1991. The 850 sedan was out in Europe two years before the estate came out and they went on sale in the US.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Came to this forum to make the same suggestion! These boards need combining!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts

·
Registered
15,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BUMP

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a fantastic idea! I’ve got a 98 v70 t5m and an 01 c70 t5m and I’d love to post about them both on the same page, since most of the components are interchangeable anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
As always my $0.02 is to have more active members. P80 platform is diverse but all the models are similar enough that they share major systems. For instance brake and suspension systems are shared uniformly across fwd variants.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Weird. I thought I posted my support last time, but I don't see anything. So, +1 now! As there become fewer and fewer nice examples of P80 cars on the road that have owners who are interested in maintaining them, the potential pool of members shrinks. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
I like this idea. Makes sense to me. What are some potential cons to doing this?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
A continued pissing match over cable throttle versus me7?

The split should be 93-98 and 99-04.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
A continued pissing match over cable throttle versus me7?

The split should be 93-98 and 99-04.
Obviously cable throttle is the only acceptable choice!

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
Obviously cable throttle is the only acceptable choice!

Until it sticks wide open and you crash!

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Had that happen on a car once - not a Volvo. i turned the car off but then you lose power steering and brakes so it was a bit of an adventure to say the least.

·
Super Moderator
8,570 Posts
You asked for cons and I'm a devil's advocate guy (with almost no knowledge about these cars), so my thoughts would be that information specific to the models might be much harder to find (unless threads are very well labeled, which they usually aren't).

I can send this to Chris to get his thoughts. If all the active users of the three groups think it's a good idea (which would be hard to judge), then I don't personally see why it couldn't happen. I'm not "the guy", though. lol

·
Administrator
55,859 Posts
Great to see you guys making this sort of suggestion to improve the forum.

I don't have any initial reservations. Let me check to make sure we won't have any technical or database issues with the forum software combining all of the threads.

·
Registered
15,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You asked for cons and I'm a devil's advocate guy (with almost no knowledge about these cars), so my thoughts would be that information specific to the models might be much harder to find (unless threads are very well labeled, which they usually aren't).

I can send this to Chris to get his thoughts. If all the active users of the three groups think it's a good idea (which would be hard to judge), then I don't personally see why it couldn't happen. I'm not "the guy", though. lol
Is that a con of the current setup or a con of making a change? Any information that is specific to a MY97-98 C70 or S/V70 is the same as information specific to an 850, so the current setup makes model specific information much harder to find. Remember that MY97-98 x70s are an 850 with a different dash. Nothing mechanical changed until MY99.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts