SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the Columba (swept style) 16x6.5 5x108 wheel fit on a V70R AWD? I've heard conflicting answers. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. There is a salvage yard a few hours away that has a set of them but wanted to know if they will fit.

Does anyone know the offset on the wheels? I have the satelite "R" wheels right now and I understand that they have a 35mm offset.

I've heard that others have run wheels such as the persus on the AWD and the persus I believe have a 43mm offset.

I'd appreciate any info on what offsets will work for the AWD and if anyone know if the Columba wheel will work on an AWD.

Thanks,

John

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by 2000V70R:
Will the Columba (swept style) 16x6.5 5x108 wheel fit on a V70R AWD? I've heard conflicting answers. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. There is a salvage yard a few hours away that has a set of them but wanted to know if they will fit.

Does anyone know the offset on the wheels? I have the satelite "R" wheels right now and I understand that they have a 35mm offset.

I've heard that others have run wheels such as the persus on the AWD and the persus I believe have a 43mm offset.

I'd appreciate any info on what offsets will work for the AWD and if anyone know if the Columba wheel will work on an AWD.

Thanks,

John
Don't know about the R but the Persus were std. on 1998 V70 AWDs. I have seen COLUMBA mounted on 1998 V70 AWDs in Sweden.

Yannis

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need a bit more information on Columba wheels, I'm hoping someone can help. I managed to get ahold of a Volvo Wheel brochure that shows a list of wheels, their sizes and part numbers.

The Columba wheel is the only one in the list showing separate left and right side part numbers. However, the set I'm looking at all have an identical cast number on them which all cross reference to a left side Columba wheel.

I contacted my local dealer and they didn't think volvo made any directional wheels. I explained what I am seeing in the Volvo Brochure and they were stumped, indicating that if I were to order that style from them they would just order four with the same part number, which just happened to be the left part number in this brochure.

I called Volvo Customer Service and spoke with a rep. She understood my concerns and put me on hold to speak with someone else. She came back and said that they believe the only difference is in the "look" of the wheel since it is a swept wheel.

I had heard that the difference between left and right was for very subtle differences in the fins for directing airflow at the brakes. When I told the Volvo rep that she didn't know for certain if that is true or not.

Does anyone know if the Columba wheel is truly a directional wheel and if there is any significance to left vs. right?

Thanks!

- John

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

I need a bit more information on Columba wheels, I'm hoping someone can help. I managed to get ahold of a Volvo Wheel brochure that shows a list of wheels, their sizes and part numbers.

The Columba wheel is the only one in the list showing separate left and right side part numbers. However, the set I'm looking at all have an identical cast number on them which all cross reference to a left side Columba wheel.

I contacted my local dealer and they didn't think volvo made any directional wheels. I explained what I am seeing in the Volvo Brochure and they were stumped, indicating that if I were to order that style from them they would just order four with the same part number, which just happened to be the left part number in this brochure.

I called Volvo Customer Service and spoke with a rep. She understood my concerns and put me on hold to speak with someone else. She came back and said that they believe the only difference is in the "look" of the wheel since it is a swept wheel.

I had heard that the difference between left and right was for very subtle differences in the fins for directing airflow at the brakes. When I told the Volvo rep that she didn't know for certain if that is true or not.

Does anyone know if the Columba wheel is truly a directional wheel and if there is any significance to left vs. right?

Thanks!

- John
Well, now I am as perplexed as you are. When we were selling 850 Turbos, I remember that their COLUMBA wheels were pointed to the "right" direction on one side and on the other, the spokes were swept the "wrong" way. Never questioned that, then. And when the 1998s came along (S/V70 T-5s) with the PERFO wheels, same thing! Now, why COLUMBA wheels have different part #s for "L" and "R" sides and the PERFO do not...that is a mystery!

Yannis

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yannis,

Yes...this is a stumper. Even the swedespeed forum wheel gallery shows the wheel as having separate left and right part numbers for the Columba. If it's just a matter of the appearance being swept in the wrong direction, that's ok. I'm just hoping someone will know if there is anything more specific such as the manner in which air is directed at the brakes.

- John

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I've never heard of "directional" wheels from Volvo, but anything is possible. It sure would be fun to watch a tire shop figure out what to do with side-specific wheels and asymmetrical directional tires!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Yannis,

I'm just hoping someone will know if there is anything more specific such as the manner in which air is directed at the brakes.

- John
John,

it has to do with the air...Since the spokes resemble to vanes of a turbine, I would assume (and since the leading edge of each spoke looks like it is "cut") that the wheel that has the spokes "pointing" forward would "cut" into the air much more and direct a larger volume into the brakes...What do you think?

Yannis

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
This is a set of 4 Columba from the same car, and they are all uni-directional. I am just guessing, but those two different part numbers for the Columba could be different 'finishes', because I have seen in rare instances, Columba finished in 'R' type titanium color as 16-inch replacements on 850 T5-R/850R's.

Take a look, the drivers side is always forward-swept, while the passenger side is always reverse-swept, by uni-directional design.

Driver Side

Passenger Side

-Drew

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by InDy:
This is a set of 4 Columba from the same car, and they are all uni-directional. I am just guessing, but those two different part numbers for the Columba could be different 'finishes', because I have seen in rare instances, Columba finished in 'R' type titanium color as 16-inch replacements on 850 T5-R/850R's.

-Drew
That is an interesting suggestion as I have seen the darker version on 850Rs. But the different part numbers are listed for "L" and "R" sides...

BTW, nice BENT rims! hehehe!

Yannis

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drew,

Thanks for the pics and your thoughts. There are two different Columba finishes available according to the volvo wheel brochure: Dark Silver and Anthracite.

The part numbers show as L and R for Dark Silver and L and R for Anthracite.

9134402 Dark Silver L
9166315 Dark Silver R
9166116 Anthracite L
9166314 Anthracite R

Perhaps they are non-directional and it's simply an appearance deal where you could run four lefts or four rights without a problem...but ideally one would want two lefts and two rights. I checked a few salvage yards like Spaldings in Spokane, WA and they show the wheels as separate left and right. I called them and they said that the right wheel is definitely a right and the two left wheels they have are definitely lefts....both sweep in the forward direction when put on their appropriate sides of the car and they have different part numbers for the left side vs. right and that they came off an 850. So, it appears at least some 850's came with left and right wheels. Based on your pics apparently some also came with all left side wheels.

Did the car come factory with those...or did the dealer do an "upgrade" on them? So far everyone I've heard with all lefts came as a dealer "upgrade" which make me think the dealer didn't realize that there were separate lefts and rights.

Thanks again Drew and Yannis for your thoughts on this. We may never know. My best guess at this point is that the wheels are probably non-directional and that they are left and right side appearance related...but I don't have a definitive on that.

- John

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
John,

I have got two or three original Volvo brochures showing 850 Turbo's. I just looked at them, and very single Columba equipped car shown has the same 'direction' wheel on the driver and passenger side.

To be honest with you, ever since these wheels came out in 1994, I have never seen an 850 Turbo with passenger side wheels in the forward swept direction.

Like you said, left and right shouldn't really matter, so it would probably be more of an aesthetic decision on your part.

-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 05-19-2002).]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drew,

Thanks for the additional pics. Interesting that the brochures show all the same direction. So, I wonder why Volvo even bothered with a left and a right for this style wheel? I inquired at a couple of places that specialize in reproduction manufacturer wheels and one responded stating that yes, a set includes two lefts and two rights.

Given that the brochures and the pics you sent show all one direction, it must be an appearance package issue.

Thanks for your help in solving the mystery.

- John

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
There are part numbers for the right and left sides for the columba. I'm attaching the pic from the Wheels gallery. You can see they're labled by L & R for left and right. They either come in silver or anthracite.

Contrarily, the similarily designed Perfo from the S70/V70 T-5 is only one part number.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts